• May 14th vs. The Twins

Posted by on May 15th, 2010 · Comments (7)

You just don’t intentionally walk Mark Teixeira to load the bases to get to A-Rod. That’s just asking for it. I know the Twins wanted to set up a double play. But, Rodriguez deposited one in left center for his 19th grand slam of his career.

For Rodriguez, it was his 587th of his career passing Frank Robinson on the all time home run list. Whenever a player nears a milestone in home runs, I feel like it takes them a little longer to get past it. The player can press a little bit and end up going on a home run drought. I’m not making excuses for Alex, but perhaps passing Robinson was a big deal to him. Either way, Rodriguez always hits the Twins so it could just be that.

Despite the win and how fun it is to see Gardner playing his best baseball, I come out of this game with a bad taste in my mouth. Swisher’s arm is definitely hurt, and he might see some time on the DL. This means that, unfortunately, we’re going to be seeing a lot of Winn and Thames. If I was Gregg Golson, I’d be ready to prove something here.

Comments on May 14th vs. The Twins

1. 77yankees
      May 15th, 2010 | 11:55 am

Thanks to Ron Gardenhire for channeling his inner Joe Torre in that 7th inning.

Those batter v. pitcher career stats and vice versa can be BS sometimes. They don’t measure if a guy got two bloops and an infield hit, nor if he hit a bullet right at someone, or an outfielder reached over the fence to rob him of a HR.

But when a batter’s 4 for 6 with 3 HR off a pitcher, I don’t think there’s much room for loose interpretation or spin on that one.

2. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

His curve ball was excellent, though.

3. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2010 | 12:04 pm

@ 77yankees:
      Really, I wouldn’t ever do that no matter what A-Rod has done against the pitcher. It’s just not a smart idea.

4. Corey Italiano
      May 15th, 2010 | 12:13 pm

Also, Marte stinks.

5. #15
      May 15th, 2010 | 1:10 pm

I think Gardenhire made the right, or at least a reasonable, move. At that point in the game, Tex’s run was less important and setting up the DP was not a bad idea. If the order was reversed, walk A-Rod and pitch to Tex, I’d have done that too. Here’s the nub for me… grand slams are a relative rarity and A-Rod hasn’t exactly been mashing dingers of late, so rather than factor that as a likely outcome, the calculation is take your best shot at avoiding a single or double by either of the next two hitters due up. That single or a double by Tex or A-Rod scores two for the Yankees and gives them the lead late in the game. The Yankees have two chances to get that single or double (the most likely hits) if the Twins pitch to both Tex and A-Rod and the Twins had no chance to double up Tex with no one on 1st base (barring a line drive DP – again, a less likely outcome) and get out of it. Did it work? No. Was it a stupid choice? No.

On the other side ofthe coin… I hope this ignites A-Rod. Had to be a gratifying moment for him.

6. BOHAN
      May 15th, 2010 | 2:08 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I should also note that this Burnett wasn’t as good as 2 ER might indicate. He had trouble locating his fastball all night.His curve ball was excellent, though.

tchers dont always haheir best stuff. what makes a goo pitcher is what they do when they dont have it. considering how off he looked and probably felt i think its a hell of performance from aj

7. BOHAN