Their 9th inning rally notwithstanding, tonight’s game was unacceptable. If the Yankees can’t try harder to win games, I won’t try harder in my recaps.
- For battling through miserable weather and a string of solid but unspectacular starts, I give CC Sabathia credit for battling through seven innings and only giving up one run;
- A-Rod continues to slash hits left, right and center. He’s the team’s best player and it shows with increasing regularity in his AB’s this year.
- If I see Mark Teixeira pop out to the 3rd baseman on the first or second pitch of an AB with RISP I swear I will turn on him faster than I ever turned on #62 last year;
- I don’t care if his arm is a wet noodle, Johnny Damon would’ve caught that ball over Randy Winn’s head. Ever heard of no doubles defense, Randy?;
- Marcus Thames has no business playing the outfield in the major leagues. You want to use him as a DH, fine. An outfielder, no way. Tonight’s misplay should be enough for Cashman to go sign Jermaine Dye for $500,000.* He stinks in the outfield but he doesn’t drop routine balls;
- He may be the best closer in baseball history but Mariano Rivera absolutely stinks right now. The rest of the Yankee bullpen may stink but the Yanks aren’t going anywhere as long as Chamberlain and Rivera can’t lock down easy wins.
*Yes, I’m being facetious here: Jermaine Dye doesn’t belong here. But the fact remains that the Yankees need to find themselves another OF. Boone Logan should be optioned to Scranton and his roster spot needs to go to someone that can play a capable defensive game at the corner outfield spots.