• Ron Darling

Posted by on May 21st, 2010 · Comments (9)

I was driving into work this morning and listening to WFAN. It was some time between eight and nine. Ron Darling was being interviewed. He was talking about all of David Wright’s problems. (And, is it just me, or, are they just killing Wright these days in Metsville? Remember when they were calling him the Mets version of Derek Jeter? Well, that didn’t last too long, did it?) Darling also talked about the importance of the Mets making a good showing against the Yankees.

Darling is a Met. And, as he disclosed on the interview this morning, his father is a big Red Sox fan. That’s a lot to be turned off by…if you’re a Yankees fan.

However, and I’ve said this before, Ron Darling is incredibly good as a baseball analyst. He’s probably the best in New York, in my opinion.

The Yankees/YES have some good announcers. But, they don’t have anyone in the class of Darling.

If I recall correctly, Darling was doing Washington Nationals games before coming to the Mets. Shame the Yankees missed the chance to get him. But, that said, maybe there’s someone else out there doing work for a team who’s great, like Darling, who’s looking to upgrade to the big stage in Yankeeland?

If you could pick one announcer/analyst from another team and get him hired by YES, who would you pick. For me, it’s Ron Darling. How about you?

Comments on Ron Darling

1. Corey Italiano
      May 21st, 2010 | 1:33 pm

I agree with you that Darling is one of the best at what he does. BUT, I disagree that the Yanks don’t have anyone in his class. I find Ken Singleton to be just as good, if not better, at calling a game.

2. May 21st, 2010 | 2:19 pm

@ Corey Italiano:

I love Singleton too. Part of that is, because, deep down inside, I’m a 1970′s baseball fan and he’s a great connection to the game and the way it was back then. He’s also an incredibly nice person and very easy to listen to…at least to me.

Singleton also, while more of a color analyst, is a capable play-by-play guy…if pushed to do that…and not many color guys can handle that.

That all said, I just feel like Darling is “sharper” – for lack of a better word.

Best way to try and explain it: I would love to hang out and listen to Singleton talk about baseball, share stories, and describe a game. Perhaps more so that Darling – again, because I’m a ’70′s guy. But, it terms of talking “x’s” and “o’s” and providing cutting commentary, I think Darling takes it to a level higher than Singy.

Again, no knock on Kenny. It’s just that Darling is THAT GOOD.

3. Corey Italiano
      May 21st, 2010 | 2:50 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Agreed, imagine how great a team of the 2 would be? Singleton talking hitting and Darling talking pitching.

If only.

4. May 21st, 2010 | 3:56 pm

That’s why I loved the Singy/Kaat combo so much. And, why I miss Cone/Singy this year. Leiter’s not bad, don’t get me wrong. But, he’s not around that much either.

5. redbug
      May 21st, 2010 | 6:19 pm

I’d like Katt back. He wanted to last year, but the Yanks turned him down.

If not Kaat, I’d like David Cone back. I think he’s better than Leiter (I find him boring).

Sometimes I think Singleton talks about himself too much. He did that much more in the past. I warmed up to him a few yrs ago when he wound up doing a game by himself. Whoever was supposed to be there didn’t make it for some reason. He did a really good job.

I know it wasn’t “smart” baseball talk but I loved the Scooter, then Bobby Mercer. I miss them both a lot.

6. 77yankees
      May 21st, 2010 | 7:42 pm

Good discussion, guys.

Singleton’s the only one who I really care for on YES. He’s got that smooth, non-bluster style that Bill White had. And when he raises his tone doing pbp (His call on Giambi’s grand slam in the rain in 2002 was classic) it’s natural and unforced.

As for the others on YES:

Kay: Too full of himself, and can you mention “Big Game James” Shields a few more times, Big Head? – We didn’t hear it the first 500x you mentioned it there, Chris Berman.

Leiter: Probably could be good, but his buddy buddy pairing with Kay gets too off beat, and he gets too hyper at times.

Flaherty: Knows his stuff, but just comes across as too bland.

O’Neill: Love Paulie, but he sounds like he’d rather not be there at all.

To answer the question in Steve’s post – I have the Extra Innings package this year for the first time ever, and I think one of the best is Tom McCarthy in Philly, who did the Met games on radio for a year or two on FAN. He sounds just like Gary Cohen but without the sarcasm and ego.

I’m kind of surprised also at the pbp guy on NESN, Don Orsillo. He’s a strait laced announcer and not a homer at all. Unfortunately, he has to put up with Cliff Clavin sound-alike Jerry Remy in the booth, so he gets props for that too.

The other plus that NESN has is Heidi Watney. Nothing against Kim Jones, but just do a search on Ms. Watney and you’ll want her on the Yankee telecasts too. ;-)

7. Evan3457
      May 22nd, 2010 | 4:37 am

I too, like Singleton best of all the Yanks’ announcers.

The Singleton/Leiter combo works pretty well, when Kay stops trying to tweak Leiter in their ongoing “feud” long enough to let the two of them talk about the game.

8. lordbyron
      May 22nd, 2010 | 3:33 pm

Darling is excellent and David Cone wasn’t far behind!

9. butchie22
      May 22nd, 2010 | 11:27 pm

I like David Cone, he’s a very affable guy BUT he isn’t in the same class of analyst as Singleton, Hernandez or Darling. Coney came across as too folksy for my tastes. I enjoy Singleton’s observations immensely and I like the inside insights taht he has on the BLackbirds when they play the Yanks because he lives in the Balty area and is still close to the Os organization.

That being said I do enjoy Keith and Ronnie on the Mets broadcasts. I find them to have a mixture of cynism,great observations about the Mets and more facile with being behind the mike. as much as I chastise the Mets and their circus-like organization, their analysts are better than what YES has. I also like the fact that the Mess(sic) Network is less homerish than YES is. The crtitiques that come from Keith and Ronnie are priceless.

Look I can’t knock Flash, Leiter, Singleton entirely. I enjoy what they bring to the table but the Mets have fewer people doing a much better job. also, I don’t like O’Neill or Tino in the booth. Great players,nice guys but not really that good in the booth as it were.

And Steve, Darling came across as quite intelligent on Boomer and Cartoon. I also liked how he knew what was wrong with the Mets and was spot on about it. even though I’m no Metropolitanos fan, Keith and Ronnie do a nice job on the other side of town.