• May 23rd @ The Mets

Posted by on May 23rd, 2010 · Comments (14)

The Yankees attempted rally in the last frame of this one was exciting. But, in the end, it was too little and too late…

You could make a case that this was the 5th worst game that CC Sabathia has thrown as a member of the Yankees. That alone in regards to this game doesn’t matter much – as Johan Santana was dealing for the Mets tonight and even a sharp CC may not have mattered. But, when you consider that Sabathia’s ERA over his last 3 games before this contest was 5.09 (in 17.6 IP), and then you add this one to that…well…it’s sorta/kinda fair game to wonder about what’s been going on with the big lefty over the last 16 days or so.

With this one, the Yankees have now lost six of their last eight…eight of their last thirteen…and 10 of their last 15 games. Yes, ten of their last fifteen. That’s not getting the job done, is it?

Need more?

On Saturday, May 8th, after beating the Red Sox, the Yankees were just one-half game out of first place (behind the Rays). And, now, with this loss, the Yankees are six games behind the Rays. Ya-huh, in just about two weeks, the Yankees have dropped 5 1/2 games in the standings. Granted, New York is still in second place in the A.L. East – but, they’re now much closer to the Jays (in 3rd) and the Sox (in 4th) than they are to the Rays (in first).

This should all make for some interesting chatter in Yankeeland tomorrow – with May 24th being an off-day – and deservedly so.

Since May 8th, several Yankees have not been playing pretty. This includes CC Sabathia, Chan Ho Park, Derek Jeter, Phil Hughes, Andy Pettitte, Brett Gardner, Boone Logan, Mark Teixeria, A.J. Burnett, Randy Winn, Joba Chamberlain – and even, at times, Mariano Rivera. It’s been a real team “effort.” (Amazingly, in his last 14 games, A-Rod has great overall stats. So, you can’t blame him for this…but, you can wonder how important he is to the team…since they’ve stunk while he’s going great.)

At this point, I’m not sure who the real 2010 Yankees are? Is it the team that went 21-8 from April 4th to May 8th? Or, is it the team who has gone 5-10 since May 9th? Perhaps the next 15 to 30 games will let us know? Well, for sure, it’s not 2009 anymore in Yankeeland. That’s one thing for certain.

Comments on May 23rd @ The Mets

1. Tresh Fan
      May 23rd, 2010 | 11:43 pm

…and Javy Vazquez is the best pitcher on the team these days—go figure.

2. May 23rd, 2010 | 11:56 pm

I’m kinda confused about what you mean by this: “Amazingly, in his last 14 games, A-Rod has great overall stats. So, you can’t blame him for this…but, you can wonder how important he is to the team…since they’ve stunk while he’s going great.”

What is there to wonder? If A-Rod was doing as terrible as the rest of the team, wouldn’t the results be even worse?

Feel free to correct me if I’m confused.

3. Evan3457
      May 24th, 2010 | 12:02 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Actually, what that shows yet again is the notion, that one player, no matter how great, ever carries a teams. One great player cannot overcome 15 guys stinking the joint out.

4. Evan3457
      May 24th, 2010 | 12:03 am

Too many commas. Bleah.

5. JeremyM
      May 24th, 2010 | 12:23 am

I really, really wish you could move on from the irrational hate of A-Rod. Because he’s doing well and the team is stinking, you see a correlation? Didn’t the fact that he almost single-handedly carried the Yankees to the World title last year (offensively) prove how valuable this guy is to any team that has him? You want to dislike his off the field antics and post about it? Fine, and I’ll agree with you to an extent. But to let it carry over to irrational posts regarding on-field performance is beneath this site, in my opinion.

6. May 24th, 2010 | 7:46 am

Your hatred of A-Rod knows know bounds, does it? Good grief.

7. May 24th, 2010 | 7:46 am

know=no. And geez, lighten up on the A-Rod antipathy already. Have you blamed him for the BP oil spill yet? The Nashville floods?

8. May 24th, 2010 | 9:33 am

Gee, whiz, the A-Rod fans have a thin skin here…or a fast trigger finger pointed at me…

Let’s review what I wrote: Amazingly, in his last 14 games, A-Rod has great overall stats. So, you can’t blame him for this…but, you can wonder how important he is to the team…since they’ve stunk while he’s going great.

So, I’m saying the Yankees have sucked for the last 15 games – but, A-Rod is not to blame. Note “A-Rod has great overall stats. So, you can’t blame him for this.”

Sounds like I’m saying something nice about him here, no? And, yet, I’m being accussed of hateful words? Doesn’t make sense.

Yes, I also said “you can wonder how important he is to the team…since they’ve stunk while he’s going great” – and, is that not a fair question?

Basically, I’m saying what Evan3457 picked up on – meaning that, even a player who is playing great, is not that important, if the rest of the team is playing like crap. One man, greatness aside, cannot be considered a savior if the cast around him is lousy.

Again, some see this as me hating Alex. Sounds more like some trying to find something to use as a bitch about me, rather than me bitching about A-Rod.

9. satchel
      May 24th, 2010 | 9:56 am

I feel like I have seen too many Yankees games this season with late-inning rallies that were “too little, too late.” This one was especially frustrating because it was the third or fourth such, where the winning run reaches the plate in the 8th or 9th inning after a big deficit. I’d like to see the Yankees start winning some of those claw-your-way back games. No starter is going to be lights out every time out. The Yankees offense should be able to pick up a starter who has a bad night.

10. satchel
      May 24th, 2010 | 10:01 am

If I were to wonder how important to the team Rodriguez is, I’d quickly reach the conclusion that he’s incredibly important. I wouldn’t want this team’s lineup to be any shorter than it is already, and there aren’t too many players available to the Yankees whose presence in the lineup matches his.

11. YankCrank
      May 24th, 2010 | 10:30 am

This was a bad week, but this is exactly what happens when a team runs into multiple problems at once.

1. Lots of injuries
      2. Remaining players slumping
      3. Inadequate pitching

Yankee fans will scream and overreact, analysts will pronounce the team too old and flawed, but in the end this team is too talented to be buried at this point of the year. We’ll be fine.

12. May 24th, 2010 | 11:18 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

No offense, but when you do at least 3-5 posts a week about A-Rod – more than you do on any other player by far – complete with more talk about his love life than even Page Six does, you’re “why do you think I’m picking on A-Rod?” comments don’t really hold water. It’s like me complaining if somebody calls me on being negative about Joe Torre – I don’t make any secret about my dislike of his character, so I’m not going to be all “who, me?” about it.

As for this, “Sounds more like some trying to find something to use as a bitch about me, rather than me bitching about A-Rod.”: If I didn’t like you and enjoy your blog, I wouldn’t read it. I agree with most of what you say on everything else, but think you’ve got “blinders,” as you would call it, on A-Rod.

May 24th, 2010 | 11:49 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Which makes the cackling surrounding Rodriguez in the postseasons even more nonsensical.

14. ken
      May 24th, 2010 | 1:50 pm

@ YankCrank:

Well said. No need to jump off bridges yet.