• 24, Lost, Or Something Else?

Posted by on May 24th, 2010 · Comments (11)

I have to confess that I’m a fan of the recent TV escape/chase serial cliff-hanger shows. Prison Break was the all-time best at this for me. But, I was also into Journeyman, Jericho and The Sarah Connor Chronicles – before the plug was pulled on them. And, I recently got into Fringe and Human Target.

However, I must also share that I’ve never, ever, seen a single episode of “24” or Lost – and, with both of those shows now going, I’m wondering if I’ve missed a good one. I’ve heard many praise these shows…but, I just never got around to them.

If I were to start watching one of these that I missed, now on DVD, which would be the best one to watch – “24” or Lost? Or, is there something else, not mentioned here, that would be a better pick?

Comments on 24, Lost, Or Something Else?

1. Tresh Fan
      May 24th, 2010 | 10:55 am

They say last night would be one of the most watched nights on TV in quite a while: last episode of “Lost,” final episode of “Celebrity Apprentice,” and Yankees-Mets. I watched Yankees-Mets. More drama.

Other than that I haven’t really watched too much non sports TV since they cancelled “The Brady Bunch Variety Hour.”

2. chicken stanley
      May 24th, 2010 | 11:34 am

Watched and was disappointed by the Lost finale. The show had its moments in good cliffhangers and mysteries, but there were some dreary seasons & story lines. And in the end it just didn’t add up to make it feel worth it to me. But other people disagree, so if you like the genre you may like it (and maybe enjoy it better by not being affected by the hoopla). Though Battlestar Gallactica is more sci-fi (obviously) than chase/serial, there’s more than enough of that in there if you’re a fan of the style. I thought it was more successful than Lost, though it did have its own problems. For me, though, the best show on television the last few years has been Friday Night Lights. A great underappreciated show.

3. OldYanksFan
      May 24th, 2010 | 12:10 pm

I find 24 to be an amazing show. Does it have flaws? Sure. It tries to deliver thrills and suspense, and do so within a 24 hour timeframe, so to expect ‘total realism’ is unrealistic. But still, there is lots of great writing and mini-plots, and moves so fast, you hate to blink. This show has broken new ground.

I could write paragraphs on some of the great aspects of this show but there is one factor that tells me how good it is.

Over the years, they have had a number of 2 hour episodes, sometimes on back-to-back days, and some ‘Hours’ with very limited commercial breaks. Simply put, it is not only the fastest 2 hours I’ve ever experienced in a TV show, but faster then many good movies I’ve seen. Jack Bauer is sumply too cool.

Could you watch 19-20 hours straight of one show and not find it too much? Yeah, no problem. Get the set, maybe a few friends, maybe a little weed, and have yourself a great marathon!

4. G.I. Joey
      May 24th, 2010 | 12:10 pm

Here are a few newer shows I would recommend:

Breaking Bad (AMC)
      Justified (FX)
      Party Down (Starz)
      Spartacus (Starz)
      Eastbound & Down (HBO)

5. May 24th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

@ OldYanksFan:True story. I know a guy, who, back in 2006 (or was it 2005?), took a week off from work, and, at the advice of his brother, started watching past shows of 24. He ended up saying in his house for days watching episode after episode – because he was hooked. He told me, then, that I should start watching it…but, I never did.

6. May 24th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

@ Tresh Fan: A Tresh and Johnny Bravo fan!

7. jrk
      May 24th, 2010 | 1:57 pm

Friday Night Lights – amazing

8. May 24th, 2010 | 2:12 pm

@ chicken stanley:
      @ jrk:

Friday Night Lights is more drama than action, right?

9. JeremyM
      May 24th, 2010 | 6:42 pm

I really enjoyed Lost, but be prepared to not have a lot of your questions answered. The first season was by far the best, and from there it was more hit or miss.

10. esgriff
      May 27th, 2010 | 9:27 am

Lost is fantastic, but be prepared for a 6-season journey. In totality it’s amazing and each season was great, but you have to start from the beginning. 24 is more hit or miss, but each season can basically stand on it’s own. Season 1 was awesome, as was season 3. They are all entertaining but after a few years the plot lines became kind of redundant.

11. clintfsu813
      May 27th, 2010 | 9:45 am

Definitely need to catch both 24 and Lost. Both were one of the best of the decade individually. Other shows worth checking out on DVD are Weeds and Dexter. I dont have Showtime so I get em on DVD when they come out. And I totally agree about Eastbound and Down. That show is insanely funny. Basically if they did a show about John Rocker, lol.