• Yankees For Sale?

Posted by on May 24th, 2010 · Comments (9)

An interesting item from Mike Silva -

Based on my conversations with people it appears the Steinbrenner sons are not quite as engaged with the product as the father. Sure, Hank and Hal want to win, but I get the feeling they have other interests as well. So would they sell the team once George passes on? Look at how the Hess family sold after Leon’s death in 1999. I believe we might see something similar with the Steinbrenner’s and the Yankees and I asked Bill [Madden] his thoughts on my theory.

“I would agree with that. I don’t see the family keeping control of this team when George goes,” said Madden. He went on to mention the tax ramifications and how Hal Steinbrenner is a “hands off owner” that doesn’t have the same “passion” as his father. In short, Madden “fully expects” a sale of the team when they are faced with that situation.

This is not new. Five years ago there were reports/opinion that the team woud go up for sale when Big Stein passes.

What do you think? Will the Stein Brothers (and sisters) cash out when The Boss dies? If so, who would you want to see own the team? And, who would you least like to see take over?

Comments on Yankees For Sale?

1. Tresh Fan
      May 24th, 2010 | 11:24 am

As long as they don’t sell it back to CBS I’m fine with it.

2. May 24th, 2010 | 11:41 am

I wonder if Scott Boras would try and put together a group to buy it? Thena again, Bud would never let him in…

May 24th, 2010 | 11:50 am

If the Yanks are worth a billion dollars, I’d probably be willing to sell out too…

4. May 24th, 2010 | 12:11 pm

Just watch…Bud will give the Yankees to John Henry and then give Loria the Red Sox and sell the Marlins to A-Rod.

Just kidding!

5. lardin
      May 24th, 2010 | 1:42 pm

Anyone but the Dolans. The only family whose worse at running a sports franchise are the Wilpons, I am very thankful they cant own the Yankees.

If I had to pick one person, that would be Marc Cuban. He will spend the money the way Yankee fans are accustomed to… MLB might have a a problem with him, but soon as the anti trust suit is threatened Bud will back off and approve the sale….

6. May 24th, 2010 | 1:53 pm

Cuban wanted the Cubs and Bud wouldn’t let him in.

Agreed on the Dolans. I fear Trump too.

7. jrk
      May 24th, 2010 | 2:32 pm

Yah, Dolans would be the worst.

8. satchel
      May 24th, 2010 | 8:56 pm

Ugh, I’d fear for the Yankees being sold to a corporate bidder like a communications conglomerate which wants the YES property for its own.

I don’t really know anything about the business of owning a team but I’d prefer the Yankees’ principal owner to be an individual or family with some personal stake in owning a ballclub, rather than just a division of some massive worldwide corporation headed by a soulless VP.

May 24th, 2010 | 9:36 pm

satchel wrote:

I’m ambivalent either way. I’ve seen both types of owners suck at owning ballclubs.