• 40 Years Ago In Yankeeland

Posted by on May 27th, 2010 · Comments (7)

Dig the Yankees starting line-up, 40 years ago from today:

Player           Pos
    1 Horace Clarke   2B
    2 Jerry Kenney    3B
    3 Bobby Murcer    CF
    4 Roy White       LF
    5 Danny Cater     1B
    6 Curt Blefary    RF
    7 Jake Gibbs      C
    8 Gene Michael    SS
    9 Fritz Peterson  P

Yeah, that’s Roye White – as the clean-up hitter.

I was 7 1/2 years old when that game was played. So, I was oblivious to what was going on in Yankeeland at that time. Must have been something, huh?

Comments on 40 Years Ago In Yankeeland

1. lordbyron
      May 27th, 2010 | 3:58 pm

I remember that team and that lineup didn’t exactly strike fear in the hearts of their opponents. Jake Gibbs was a hell of a QB as a catcher.

2. Corey Italiano
      May 27th, 2010 | 4:11 pm

Makes sense that they’d ride the hot hand, White had A-Rod (for 2010) esque power numbers and was hitting .339 at the time.

Nothin wrong with movin a player whos hot up in the order, especially when he’s OPSing .961

3. GDH
      May 27th, 2010 | 4:42 pm

Steve, you and I are the same age – and I had every one of those guys’ baseball cards. Still remember holding the whiffle bat just like Roy White.

4. May 27th, 2010 | 5:09 pm

GDH wrote:

Hands at the belt from the left side. Yup. I’ve done that one too in stickball.

5. Evan3457
      May 27th, 2010 | 6:16 pm

Amazingly, enough that 1970 won 93 games, and finished 2nd in the AL East…though, 16 games behind the 1st place eventual champion Orioles.

They were 4th in runs scored, despite being 11th in HR. They were 6th in walks, 6th in BAVG, and 2nd in steals. It was a much, much tougher offensive environment than today’s game. So much so, that in 3 years, the AL would adopt the DH to try to increase scoring.

The ’70 Yanks were 4th in the AL in runs allowed, and 3rd in ERA, however.

6. 77yankees
      May 28th, 2010 | 10:22 am

lordbyron wrote:

This was Thurman Munson’s rookie year. Ironically, in a backup role, it was Gibbs best year also as he hit .301 w/8 HR in 153 AB.

7. score10
      May 28th, 2010 | 7:59 pm

Things were so bad that Jerry Kenney played 3B with 464 plate appearances and hit .193 with a slugging percentage of .282. Maybe they thought they could carry his bat because Stick played SS and hit .214.