• May 27th @ The Twins

Posted by on May 28th, 2010 · Comments (12)

Javier Vazquez pitched last night.  The Yanks lost 8-2.  It’s not even news anymore.

It may not have been all his fault — the Yankee lineup has been punchless for a solid week now, the bullpen has been a mess all season and both of those problems played a role in last night’s defeat – but he sure didn’t do himself any favors.  Once again, the pitcher that had a 91 mph fastball last year was averaging 89 last night.  This time, however, instead of the fastball’s ineffectiveness being the main culprit in Vazquez’s struggles, it was his secondary stuff that completely deserted him.

Whatever the problems might be, they’re still two sides of the same coin.  The quality of Vazquez’s stuff has deteriorated from 2009 to 2010 and the reasons why seem to be escaping everyone in the Yankee organization.  No one knows for sure if it’s a mental issue or not — I say it isn’t — but at this point the promising results of the past two starts have been erased and we’re back to square one.

Comments on May 27th @ The Twins

1. ken
      May 28th, 2010 | 9:17 am

I looked at Vazquez facing Mauer, Morneau and Thome in succession and thought to myself that he never faced anything like this in the NL. In fact, the Twins have a good lineup on both sides of the plate. All tough outs. I really think there is something to the NL/AL talk.

2. Corey Italiano
      May 28th, 2010 | 9:27 am

The problem with Vazquez in this start is that he couldn’t throw any of his secondary pitches for strikes, aside from the get me over curve ball that got crushed a few times. He’d get ahead 0-1 with a first pitch fastball, every time.

3. ken
      May 28th, 2010 | 9:56 am

I now look at the guy as a fifth starter: just eat innings and keep the team in striking distance for 6 or so innings. To that extent, he did his job last night. The hitters are still slumping and the bullpen coughed it up as well.

May 28th, 2010 | 9:59 am

ken wrote:

Off the top of my head, the Dodgers and Phillies had pretty potent middle of the orders last year on par with what the Twins have this year.

5. GDH
      May 28th, 2010 | 10:45 am

@ Raf:
      It appears that last year, JV went something like 5-2 vs playoff teams, and the teams that had his number were the Giants and the Marlins, against whom he went 0-4.

It would have been great to get the upside of JV this year. Granted, it’s May and he could have a great second half, but it sure looks like the Braves knew something we didn’t. Between him and Nick Johnson – what a couple of lemons they are so far.

6. MJ Recanati
      May 28th, 2010 | 11:43 am

GDH wrote:

it sure looks like the Braves knew something we didn’t

The Braves didn’t want to trade him, they wanted to trade Lowe. The only reason they had to trade Vazquez was that he had an expiring contract and it wouldn’t require the Braves to kick in money.

Believe me, the Braves didn’t trade Vazquez because they wanted to, only because they had to.

7. BOHAN
      May 28th, 2010 | 1:25 pm

they should go get oswalt. im so tired of watching this guy pitch like crap. looks like to me hes not compteteing with his pitches in the strike zone. he tries to nibble at the corners and then the ball tails back over he plate. think the astros would do Javy, Miranda, McCallister and Brackmann for oswalt?

8. MJ Recanati
      May 28th, 2010 | 1:43 pm

BOHAN wrote:

think the astros would do Javy, Miranda, McCallister and Brackmann for oswalt?

Oswalt is signed through 2011 with a $16M team option for 2012 or a $2M buyout. He also has a full no-trade clause which means that he could force the Yankees to extend his contract in exchange for his agreement to waive the no-trade clause.

Why would the Yankees want to part with young players for 1.5 seasons (or more) seasons of a guy turning 33 in August when his numbers have declined significantly over the past two seasons? Do we know he can pitch in the AL? Do we know he’d agree to waive the no-trade clause without demanding a contract extension?

I’d rather sign Cliff Lee for 2011 than trade for Roy Oswalt.

9. Corey Italiano
      May 28th, 2010 | 2:18 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I’d rather sign Cliff Lee for 2011 than trade for Roy Oswalt.

Ding ding ding!

10. butchie22
      May 29th, 2010 | 7:29 am

@ MJ with regards to JUnior Varsity ,it’s a mental issue pure and simple. I can say it until I’m blue in my face but the evidence is there no amount of contrarianism can erase that fact. Let’s look at one hard cold fact: Second Half NO star was so damn dominant just last year in the NL in a veritably no pressure situation,mate. He comes back to the Yankees in where the psycholo9igcal pressure is magnified tenfold if not more. J’s comments about the Yankee hordes booing him was an insight into the mind of a weak player. Unless a pitcher is injured, (which is dubious in JV’s case and his admission about his first tour of duty was pure BS in that regard as well) then some kind of excuse can be made. BUt to be bloody honest, it’s all in Javy’s noggin,that’s what it boils down to.

@ Those who wnat Cliff Lee. FIne he’ll cost about 20 million a year. and under the Yankees artificial payroll constraints who else do you bloody well want? Kevin Milwood to round out the fifth spot? Either Carl CRawford in teh outfield? something tells me that Philty Phanatics’ loss will be Bo$ton Red Pox’s gain. I see Crawford going to The Pinstripers and Lee signing there as well. after that, what will Hal let Cashman spend? They probably need a 5th starter and that might break their bank……

Oswalt? Oswalt supposedly doesn’t want to come to a big market team. That’s code for I can’t stand them damn yankees(not the team BUT the non NASCAR loving part of America)! Oswalt is an NL pitcher, he’d feel comforatble in an NL pitcher’s park. Even though the NY Mess are a loathsome squad who are the ultimate tease in baseball might have a chance to land him,if they were smart enough. BUT that team doesn’t have a winning attitude from the nutty professor manager, Jerry Lewis Manuel, the GM Omar THE Dunce Minaya and the owner Freddy Coupon! Then again, Oswaly might realize that fact and stay away from them at all costs.

11. Evan3457
      May 29th, 2010 | 9:43 am

butchie22 wrote:

You said the same thing last year about AJ Burnett until you were blue in the fact, too, Butchie.

May 29th, 2010 | 10:02 am

butchie22 wrote:

Saying it until you’re blue in the face doesn’t make your “fact” any more valid than it already isn’t.