• Oh, What A Feeling…

Posted by on May 29th, 2010 · Comments (11)

So, I’m watching the Yankees game today, and it’s the top of the 5th inning. At this particular point, the Yankees were winning, nine to four. However, CC Sabathia seemed to be laboring – his body language was not good to me – and I started to get that feeling

Even when the Yankees scored in the bottom of the 5th inning, to make it a 10-4 game, I couldn’t shake that feeling

Do you know that feeling that I’m talking about?

Sometimes, and it’s hard to explain, when I’m watching a Yankees game where they’re winning or losing by a lot, I just get that feeling, or call it a vibe, that the current score means nothing (despite the somewhat large run differential at the moment) and the outcome of the game is going to be the opposite of what it appears at that time.

Of course, that feeling it not always right. But, it’s correct enough times that it would be stupid to discount and/or ignore it.

I like to think this ability to gauge the ambiance comes from years or watching so many games. I mean, what have I watched in my lifetime, something like 3,000 baseball games, give or take? Maybe that’s it?

Hey, for all I know, maybe it’s just the subconscious processing what’s going down…factoring in a combination of things – like a team scoring a lot early and leaving the other team time to comeback in the game…combined with seeing a starting pitcher lose his aggressiveness due to having a large lead and knowing that, if he goes, the relief pitchers behind him are the types to allow a team to mount a few rallies?

Well, whatever the cause, I had that feeling today…so, when the Indians came back to tie the score in the 7th inning, I was annoyed, but, I wasn’t shocked. To me, I sort of saw it coming…or, I should say that I felt it coming…

How about you? Know what I’m talking about here? Do you ever get that feeling? Did you get it today too?

Comments on Oh, What A Feeling…

1. 77yankees
      May 29th, 2010 | 9:11 pm

Well, thing about games like these is you have to file them under that 60/60 rule, just chalk it up that it wasn’t meant to be today, and come back focused on tomorrow.

On a much more serious note than the game outcome – good to hear David Huff should be ok after taking that line drive off the head from A-Rod. When he went down in a heap the way he did, you couldn’t help but fear the worst.

2. JeremyM
      May 29th, 2010 | 11:36 pm

Kind of have had the same feeling Steve. Really disappointing that our bullpen is completely lost, although I’m not sure why Girardi insists on mixing and matching all of the time. Put the binder down once in a while Joe!

3. Tresh Fan
      May 29th, 2010 | 11:53 pm

Lately I’ve been getting that feeling every time Joba Chamberlain comes into a game.

4. butchie22
      May 30th, 2010 | 7:54 am

Steve ,I know exactly what your talking about. Charlie Cheeseburger wasn’t sharp at all. And for all those you are reaping scorn on Joba, here’s some food for thought. CC’s bad pitching performance allowed the Indians to have a crack at whittling away at the Yankee lead. If it had been 10-0 then things might have turned out differently. In essence, not only was Joba The Drunken Hut terrible BUT CC was not spot on either! One can argue that they screwed up Joba by switching him back and forth between being a closer to a starter back to a closer again. And there’s merit in that argument quite certainly but Chamberlain has to execute in these setup situations ,he simply can’t go out there and throw bloody batting practice!

A shutout to Arod. Very classy move by Arod after he hit David Huff. Even classier to call him up after the game. With all the criticism and scorn I heap upon the man,I must admit he did the right thing in this situation. Is he still somewhat of a tool? Of course, but today Arod’s star shines quite brightly as a result of his concern. Some cynics could come on the side of arod showing false concern BUT c’mon now guys. Alex acted quite apropos in this situation, so credit goes out to him for a change.

5. May 30th, 2010 | 9:29 am

[...] last night, as I was blogging about “that feeling,” my daughter asked me if I was going to write about the pitcher who got hit in the head. At [...]

May 30th, 2010 | 9:52 am

JeremyM wrote:

The moves made sense, the execution left much to be desired. You can’t have Branyan facing Mitre, and calling for Chamberlain was the right move to try and shut down the Indians.

May 30th, 2010 | 9:53 am

Both Yankees and Indians pitchers struggled.

8. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2010 | 10:21 am

Raf wrote:

JeremyM wrote:

Bingo. The only possible mistake was not leaving Marte in to finish the 7th, but with four righties due up, I can’t fault Girardi for that.

And for those thinking Girardi blew this by “going to the book”, in that he took out the lefty Marte, and brought in the righty Joba to face Grudzialanek, all I have to say is “nuh-uh!”. Before yesterday’s game Grudz was 1-3 vs. Marte and 2-3 vs. Joba. The “book” move would’ve been to leave Marte in.

9. Evan3457
      May 30th, 2010 | 10:28 am

butchie22 wrote:

He was pretty sharp the first three innings. He started to go awry when they had the long delay in the 3rd because of the ball hit off Huff’s head. After that, he was not sharp at all, and struggled through the next 3, leaving after 112 pitches, 81 of which had been thrown in the 4th, 5th, and 6th, if I’m counting correctly.

Some small blame to CC perhaps, but 95% of this game goes to Joba. He enters with a four-run lead, the tying run on deck, with this quartet of right-hand batters due: Grudzialanek, LaPorta, Marson, Donald. Now Grudz is a veteran, and the other 3 are regarded as prospects of some pontential, but none of them is hitting .270 before yesterday’s game, and Laporta and Marson are hitting .210 and under.

I’m sorry but your primary set up man has to get one of these guys out before the Indians can plate 5 runs and take the lead. He has to. If he doesn’t, the loss is on him.

10. KPOcala
      May 30th, 2010 | 11:48 am

I remember getting “That feeling” when the Yanks were hammering the Red Sox in the Series that Shall Not be Named. The hits kept dropping for the Yanks,I remember thinking ‘I hope that the stat gods don’t ask for a sacrifice’. When I read that Red Sox were wishing the Yanks “good luck” in the World Series (being down 0-3 at that point)I just “knew”….

11. G.I. Joey
      May 30th, 2010 | 12:07 pm

I indeed had this feeling. It was the same feeling I had when Joba came in against the Red Sox in that last short series and became the grand marshal of yet another hit parade. He seems to have a knack for taking a nice lead a completely melting down. I didn’t see any midges out there buddy. No excuses.