• June 2010 Survey Question #1

Posted by on June 2nd, 2010 · Comments (17)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:102}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section.

Comments on June 2010 Survey Question #1

1. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 2:51 pm

I voted Mussina, only because he was the only one of these four not to win a World Series and was probably the least-liked by the fan base among the four choices. That’s not to say he wasn’t liked, merely to say that O’Neill/Matsui were fan favorites and most people grew to like Damon a lot.

2. Corey Italiano
      June 2nd, 2010 | 2:53 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      most ;)

3. YankCrank
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:00 pm

I chose 18 because Damon was only on the team for four years and honestly, I’ve maybe thought of him twice this entire season outside of the Detroit series.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:06 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      LOL, I had you in mind with “most” as opposed to “all.”! :-D

5. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:07 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Remarkable. I think about him every time I see Winn in the lineup or Thames butchering plays in the OF. Fortunately the former will never happen again and the latter should happen less regularly now that Granderson is back.

6. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:08 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I think

Should’ve written “I thought”

7. June 2nd, 2010 | 3:16 pm

I went with 18 because Paulie, Moose and Godzilla all have Yankeeographies and Damon does not.

8. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:29 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Damon does not.

Given the uniqueness of the play where Damon stole 2nd and 3rd, I could see them coming out with a Yankeeography in due course. Plus, those Yankeeographies are a decent source of ancillary revenue for very little in production costs. They’ll push out Yankeeographies for everyone eventually…

June 2nd, 2010 | 3:43 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Never thought of it that way. I figured given the way they split ways that 18 would be the most likely to have been reassigned on the quick.

10. MJ Recanati
      June 2nd, 2010 | 3:54 pm

Raf wrote:

True. They didn’t waste time giving out #46 after Andy left the first time and he left on somewhat sour terms too.

Donovan Osborne in ’04
      Alan Embree/Darrell May in ’05
      Scott Erickson/Aaron Guiel in ’06

11. June 2nd, 2010 | 3:56 pm

IIRC, someone got 35 in ST the year after Moose retired – but, I could be totally wrong on that too.

12. June 2nd, 2010 | 3:58 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

They’ll push out Yankeeographies for everyone eventually…

I can’t wait for the Brian Cashman one.

13. mondoas
      June 3rd, 2010 | 1:20 am

@ MJ Recanati:

AGREE!!

14. BOHAN
      June 3rd, 2010 | 11:27 am

i was going by 18 being Scottie Brosius not damon

15. GDH
      June 3rd, 2010 | 12:19 pm

18 for sure, and I’m surprised that it was not issued this year. The retired numbers thing irks me for some reason. Great honor, well deserved – no doubt, but it’s getting ridiculous. They should issue #6 already, even if it will be retired someday. Up until the early 50′s only 3 numbers were retired. Now there are 15 retired numbers and almost no single digits – When Jeter and Torre get theirs retired there won’t be anyone in a single digit number. Assuming Jeter, Torre, Williams, Posada and Pettite all have numbers retired, as well as Mariano whose 42 is already retired, that makes 21 numbers retired. Enough already.

Why does this bug me? I cannot say, but it does. Build all the monuments you want, there’s plenty of room for that. There are other ways to honor players, so let’s figure out a way to keep most of the numbers on the field.

Let’s face it – there is such a thing as a “good number,’ and almost all of them will be gone from Yankee baseball pretty soon. Some PR genius more brilliant than me needs to think of a way to re-issue at least some of these retired numbers before that happens. Because in a way, wearing the number on the field is also method of honoring those who wore it before. When you see 21 moving around the field, it should inspire you to tell your kid a story about Paul O’Neill. It should send a message to the person that puts that number on next. I never had the feeling watching other players wear #10 that it was in any way a dishonor to Phil Rizzuto, even though I agree that he was a Legend and a true Yankee great. Ditto watching Bobby Murcer wear #1 – and in many ways Murcer was more deserving as a fan favorite, as a stand-up guy and as a player than Billy Martin (but Murcer wore #1 before Martin managed the team). Like Maris, Reggie only played a few seasons for the Yankees, and great as they were, should that merit the retired number status? If the Yankees do have an elite standing among teams in baseball, then maybe it should be more difficult, not less, to get your number retired from the Yankees than get into the Hall of Fame.

16. Jim TreshFan
      June 3rd, 2010 | 12:22 pm

Well I went with #21 because that was Roberto Clemente’s number and he’s considered something like a god among Latin players. So that eventually a Latin player will request it.

June 3rd, 2010 | 1:19 pm