• Bob Lorenz

Posted by on June 7th, 2010 · Comments (12)

Did you catch any of Bob Lorenz’ play-by-play work this weekend on YES?

I thought he did a solid job.

What I liked most about Lorez was his style. He’s got that nice and “every guy” delivery but it’s very professional and polished – somewhat like it was with Frank Messer, back in the day.

And, what I loved about listening to Bob Lorenz do these games was that he made sure the story was “the game” – instead of attempting to make “his announcing of the game” be the story of the game. You know what I mean? (See: Kay, Michael.)

What did you think of Bob Lorenz in the booth this weekend?

Comments on Bob Lorenz

1. Corey Italiano
      June 7th, 2010 | 12:05 pm

Actually…I hated it.

I think play by play wise he’s fine, but he adds way too many horrible jokes…even inside jokes with Kim Jones were annoying and wierd.

Add to that the fact that I can’t stand how there’s always a different announcing team and that this just adds to it, and I’ll pass on him doing it all the time.

Plus it means more air time for that other chick in the studio. Yuck.

2. June 7th, 2010 | 12:18 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Plus it means more air time for that other chick in the studio. Yuck.

Actually, that’s an angle of this that I liked too.

I can’t explain it, but, for some reason, I like Nancy Newman.

It’s NOT because of her looks, obviously. (Although, for an older woman, she’s in great shape.) But, I would take her in any YES role over Kim Jones – in a heartbeat. But, maybe that just says more about Jones?

3. Corey Italiano
      June 7th, 2010 | 12:35 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I can live with less Kim Jones and more Nancy Newman, but this isn’t that. This is more of both.

I missed the first game, did they say why he was announcing? Was Kay or Singleton sick or something?

4. June 7th, 2010 | 1:01 pm

I’m guessing that Kay has a criminal record and didn’t want to get busted at the border by the Canada cops.

Just kidding!

Probably just vacay for the regular guys.

5. Zach
      June 7th, 2010 | 1:21 pm

Yeah, I thought Lorenz did a terrible job. If you go to MLB.com and watch the game highlights, you can hear just how poorly he calls play-by-play. In the series, he kept naming the wrong hitters/base-runners and wouldn’t call a play until it was over. (Instead of “line drive, base hit! Jeter goes to third, Gardner stops at first,” it was more like, *silence* *more silence* “a base hit puts runners on first and third.”)

Now I agree that MK is over the top, but Lorenz does a much better job with recaps and out-of-town highlights. I really enjoy his work in the postgame shows. (Personally, I like Ken Singleton’s play-by-play the best.)

But regardless, I try to listen to the opposing team’s broadcasters as much as possible or I just watch YES muted (which I did for the most part this weekend.) That’s part of why I love the Subway Series… I get to watch the games on SNY.

6. June 7th, 2010 | 1:37 pm

Have to confess, I did toggle between YES and SNY during the last Subway Series. And, it was interesting. I found the SNY guys to be much more impartial than the YES guys.

7. #15
      June 7th, 2010 | 2:32 pm

Bob and Flash were a bit flat, but then, so were the Yankees. Not a lot of on-field stuff to get excited about over the weekend.

Trying to maintain the high standards of the site but… Nancy did have on a “Plus Sweater” on Sat. Horizontal stripes…. She shots. She scores!

Sadly, Heidi Whatney from NESN has our whole squad beat. Hire her.

8. June 7th, 2010 | 2:47 pm

OK, I only caught bits and pieces of the three games – so, maybe I was off on Lorenz? But, based on what I saw, he seemed OK.

#15 – that was some top on NN on Saturday – like I said, she’s in great shape.

9. K-V-C
      June 7th, 2010 | 3:53 pm

I caught most of the three games and it was much better than any Kay Leiter game this year. You can clearly tell Lorenz is a TV guy and not a radio guy, but that is what he is doing. I didn’t notice him getting names wrong, of either base runners or batters. As for Nancy/Kim please less Kim Jones is a plus. Her “in game” appearances are worthless, her info could be used pre or post game.

10. 77yankees
      June 7th, 2010 | 6:04 pm

#15 wrote:

Sadly, Heidi Whatney from NESN has our whole squad beat. Hire her.

As someone who has the baseball package, Heidi Watney’s five minutes of camera time during Red Sox games actually makes up for having to hear Jerry Remy for nine innings.

11. redbug
      June 7th, 2010 | 6:47 pm

I liked Lorenz a lot. He actually called the game. Plain and simple. The comparison to Frank Messer was a good one. A TV pro w/o the huge ego of a Michael Kaye, or I was a really good play player but have no sense of grammar or concern about the game being played on the field.

I agree w/ someone who said there are too many announcers. I liked when there were the same 3 guys who called each game, esp Phil, Bill and Frank. They ea came w/ their own strengths and weaknesses. We got to know them, their likes and dislikes, their families, etc. It was like sitting down w/ family and friends and watching a ballgame.

What a good team Lorenz, Kaat and Singleton would make.

12. Corey Italiano
      June 7th, 2010 | 7:04 pm

@ redbug:
      Why bother with Lorenz at that point? Kaat and Singleton can both call a game. And they represent both sides of the ball, perfect team.