• A-Rod On Yanks: “We’ve Just Got To Get Better At All Facets Of The Game”

Posted by on June 24th, 2010 · Comments (17)

Via Marc Carig -

“Obviously, we’re not happy about the way we played today,” said [Alex] Rodriguez, who made a baserunning gaffe. We know we have to do a lot of things better. “We’ve just got to get better at all facets of the game. It’s just not acceptable. We all know that. Twenty-five guys, we’ve got to get better.”

Said Rodriguez: “You let a team off the hook, you just kick yourself and you’re frustrated, because you know in order for us to be the team we need to be later in October and for the rest for the rest of the year, a game like today is not going to do it.”

And, yet, the Yankees have the best record in baseball. Go figure…

Comments on A-Rod On Yanks: “We’ve Just Got To Get Better At All Facets Of The Game”

1. jay
      June 24th, 2010 | 10:06 am

Hilarious.

Try this one:

*Lombardi to World: The Sky is Falling*

“And, yet, the Yankees have the best record in baseball. Go figure…”

2. satchel
      June 24th, 2010 | 10:23 am

Sounds good to me. It’s great to see the players motivated to improve after a sloppy win, rather than complacently saying “hey, we won right? and we’re in first place, right?”

3. Garcia
      June 24th, 2010 | 11:25 am

A-Rod is spot on, you can still have the best record but have a stretch of games where the team is not performing at its best, or the way it is capable of.

Mariano said the same thing. I like that everyone is on the same page.

Overcoming adversity is, I believe, one of the core building blocks of a championship team. As much as I’d hate to say it, I feel the Red Sox have that trait this year. It also seems the Mets are developing that, too.

I am still not sure if this Yankee team has that yet. Last year, with all the walk-off wins, comebacks, I felt the team developed that fighting spirit last year.

4. June 24th, 2010 | 11:32 am

Garcia wrote:

Funny, when I make a statement like A-Rod did, others are quit to point to the Yankees record and tell me that I’m nuts, Chicken Little, a downer, etc., …

5. G.I. Joey
      June 24th, 2010 | 12:02 pm

@ Garcia:
      I would say that having the best record in baseball after all the injuries the Yanks experienced so far this year is absolutely overcoming adversity.

6. jay
      June 24th, 2010 | 12:08 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Does ARod do this daily? No. You do. That’s the difference. You lack objectivity.

7. Corey Italiano
      June 24th, 2010 | 12:14 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

@ Garcia:

110% agree. What about overcoming the fact that your 3-4 hitters havn’t gone on a tear all year?

8. June 24th, 2010 | 12:25 pm

jay wrote:

Hey, I never tried to pitch myself as a MSM blogger. I’m a fan. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Why do I have to be objective?

9. jay
      June 24th, 2010 | 12:56 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

jay wrote:

You certainly don’t have to be.. you need to be true to yourself. I was responding to your comment. You said it was ‘Funny, when I (you) make a statement like A-Rod did..’, which implies that there’s a double standard or doesn’t make sense. It’s not, though. The reason people jump all over you is because you do it all the time. That’s the difference here.

10. June 24th, 2010 | 1:07 pm

@ jay:
      Well, that, in the fact that I only walk on two legs compared to the Centaur who has four… ;-)

11. jay
      June 24th, 2010 | 1:12 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ jay:

There ya go. I wonder how much that painting would sell for on ebay?

12. throwstrikes
      June 24th, 2010 | 2:47 pm

“I wonder how much that painting would sell for on ebay?”

I want to see this painting. As my kids say, pictures or it didn’t happen.

13. June 24th, 2010 | 3:44 pm

@ throwstrikes:

Well, per the US weekly report:

A former Rodriguez fling remembers seeing portraits of the slugger, 34, as a centaur hanging over his bed.

“He was so vain,” his ex tells Us Weekly. “He had not one, but two painted portraits of himself as a centaur. You know, the half man, half horse figure?”

Adds the ex, “It was ridiculous.”

So, if you want to see them, you need to get into A-Rod’s Love Cave!

14. Corey Italiano
      June 24th, 2010 | 4:01 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Kinda surprised the type of chicks Alex dates know what centaurs are…

15. Garcia
      June 24th, 2010 | 4:08 pm

yes, yes, everything in Yankeeland is great and there is nothing that should be addressed. That’s why A-Rod said what he said, because everything is as sunny as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

I’m not being a debbie downer, I’m glad the Yanks have a great record and are managing to win games, but at some point these mistakes will come back to haunt them against the good teams.

16. throwstrikes
      June 24th, 2010 | 6:42 pm

Us Weekly? The Encyclopedia Brittanica of Tabloids!

Sorry but thinking like a married guy who has millions of dollars, my hook-ups are getting nowhere near my house. That’s what Four Seasons were built for.

June 24th, 2010 | 9:02 pm

Garcia wrote:

I don’t remember them playing as poorly as they did last night against good teams. That was probably the worst I’ve seen the team play in quite some time. I didn’t mind the pitching, Vazquez is what he is at this point, as well as Marte, but the stupid baserunning was getting on my nerves

US Weekly wrote:

Adds the ex, “It was ridiculous.”

I bet she didn’t mind while she was getting plowed. Ah, the musings of a bitter ex :)