• Stick’s Post-Halloween Work In ’92

Posted by on June 25th, 2010 · Comments (22)

November 3, 1992: Paul O’Neill was traded by the Cincinnati Reds with Joe DeBerry to the New York Yankees for Roberto Kelly.

December 10, 1992: Jimmy Key signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

Mike Francesa, on his radio show, just said that getting O’Neill and Key before the 1993 season were two of the biggest reasons why things turned about for the Yankees…getting them away from what the team had become from 1989 to 1992.

Would you agree with that? It’s an interesting claim, if you ask me.

Comments on Stick’s Post-Halloween Work In ’92

June 25th, 2010 | 2:23 pm

Key and O’Neill were part of it, but don’t forget Dion James, Wade Boggs, Mike Stanley and Bernie Williams.

2. June 25th, 2010 | 2:32 pm

FWIW, a caller later suggested Boggs. And, Mike said he was part of it too – but, not as much as Key and Paulie.

June 25th, 2010 | 2:47 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

In 1992 the Yanks were 7th in RS (4.52) and 10th in RA (4.60) , 1993, the Yanks were 4th in RS (5.07) and 8th in RA (4.70).

I guess the upgrades @ CF (Williams), C (Stanley), LF (James), RF (O’Neill, Tartabull was moved to DH), & DH, along with a career year out of Mike Gallego helped with the O, and perhaps the D as well.

4. June 25th, 2010 | 2:55 pm

Pretty sure that Mike meant a change in the way they when about their business, played the game, presented an image for the franchise as much as he meant an impact in runs scored and allowed.

5. ken
      June 25th, 2010 | 3:05 pm

At the risk of being thrown off Yankee Island, I think that Paul O’Neill’s time with the Yankees looks better in retrospect than it did in real time. Not that he did not contribute big time at key moments, but he was inconsistent. We would not remember him for all his antics after failing to get a big hit if he had gotten the big hit!

I like the guy, like listening to him on YES, etc. etc, However, he is not getting a monument any time soon. I guess what I am saying is, perspective has been lost. His better moments are remembered at the expense of lesser moments.

As to Jimmy Key, he was truly big during his tenure here. He was an “Ace” “Number One Guy” before everyone started talking about pitchers in those terms. (Which brings up a subject for another thread: it is my own impression that it is since Josh Beckett that these descriptions of pitchers have become much more commonplace.)

6. Corey Italiano
      June 25th, 2010 | 3:08 pm

ken wrote:

Funny, I lost a lot of my O’Neil appreciation when he entered the booth. Dude comes off like he’s an idiot.

June 25th, 2010 | 3:22 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Then that wouldn’t be particularly accurate either, as they had pros like Sanderson, Gallego, Mattingly and the like there. Melido Perez was already there, he was nothing like Pascual. It could be reasonably argued that they started cleaning up the clubhouse earlier, getting rid of Polonia, Winfield, Henderson, etc.

After the 92 season the Yanks were after Cone, Key and Maddux (going hard after Maddux), they were rumored to be interested in Bonds as well. They got Key, Boggs and Owen.

Boggs had been a character (“selfish”) while with the Sox, Polonia would be reacquired a year(?) later, and Gooden, Strawberry and Raines (drugs) would eventually be brought on board. Also should be noted that the Leyritz show was starting, and Hitchcock popped off when he was demoted.

8. June 25th, 2010 | 3:24 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’m the opposite. I think he’s the closest thing to Scooter in the booth that we’ve had since Scooter left…Paulie just doesn’t root as much as Phil did.

June 25th, 2010 | 3:27 pm

ken wrote:

That would’ve been Guidry. After he retired, the Yanks scrambled looking for his replacement. They were hoping Hawkins and Pascual Perez would fit the bill. Then Scott Sanderson and Melido Perez were acquired but they were more mid rotation starters than anything else. I remember when Abbott was acquired, he was more to be the ace than Key was, as he was coming off a 19 win season, and up to that point Key was talented but often injured.

10. June 25th, 2010 | 3:27 pm

ken wrote:

The same can be said about Bernie, Mattingly, Reggie, Goose, Tino, Murcer, Munson, Cone, et al. It’s what happens.

11. ken
      June 25th, 2010 | 3:28 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Sorry, Steve. Gotta disagree on this one. ONeill generally knows who are the teams on the field, the inning and score, and he is still in the booth after the fifth inning. And he is not sending birthday and anniversary wishes to his home town buddies.

June 25th, 2010 | 3:30 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Corey Italiano wrote:

I think a part of this is being paired with Kay. I do agree that there is a lot of Scooter in him.

June 25th, 2010 | 3:37 pm

ken wrote:

Yeah, but they share the same love of food :D

They like to tell their stories too.

14. June 25th, 2010 | 3:47 pm

ken wrote:

LOL. Yeah, but, he does a lot of talking about his kids, food, movies, TV, music and other stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

15. June 25th, 2010 | 3:48 pm

Raf wrote:

Agreed, I actually find myself not hating Kay when it’s just him and O’Neill in the booth.

16. 77yankees
      June 25th, 2010 | 7:22 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Actually I have to lean towards Corey’s take on this one – I think Paulie’s just showing up for the paycheck 20-25 times a year – not that he probably needs it.

Just echoing what was said previously – Boggs was a big part of that club being more selective at the plate from the legion of free swingers they had in the early 90s. Honestly, stats aside, I never knew how truly great Boggs was as a hitter until I saw him for a full season as a Yankee.

17. BOHAN
      June 26th, 2010 | 11:48 am

ken wrote:

!

i compltely disagree with you that hes not gettin a monument. he was one of Stienbrenner’s favorite players. paulie was a great yankee and theres a reason no on wears 21 right now and when someone tried to he basically got booed right of NY (Latroy Hawkins) also didnt help help hawkins that he sucked. paulie deserves a monument not only for his play but for how he represented the pinstripes. always played hard, never took a play/AB off, always was one the field even if he could barely walk. in the words of Big Stein “He’s a warrior”

18. June 26th, 2010 | 2:32 pm

@ 77yankees: “Though I will say his greatest YES moment was when he outed that woman who was on the last season of YES Ultimate Road Trip as a friend of Michael Kay’s – priceless.”

Which contestant was that? I wish I had seen that revelation!

19. June 26th, 2010 | 2:33 pm

@ BOHAN: I thought the booing of LaTroy Hawkins was one of the most shameful things Yankee “fans” have done in recent years. The guy had the nerve to want to honor Roberto Clememente by wearing his number. How dare he.

If the Yanks are going to retire O’Neill’s number, do it already. Or put it back in the pool. This quasi-retired limbo is silly.

20. BOHAN
      June 26th, 2010 | 3:25 pm

@ lisaswan:
      if he wanted to honor roberot clemete why not honor him on every other team he played on? never wore 21 until he came to NY. why all of a sudden does he want to “honor” clemete?

21. 77yankees
      June 26th, 2010 | 5:37 pm

lisaswan wrote:

Which contestant was that? I wish I had seen that revelation!

It was Sherry? Shelly? – something like that. Paulie didn’t mention her by name – he just asked MK innocently, “Don’t you know someone on that show?” Then Kay was clearly flustered and he said at the end of the inning, “We’ll pause while I smack around O’Neill between innings.” Yeah, right – the only person Kay’s could smack around in the press box would be Sterling.

But anyway, I remember Kay gushing about how “smokin’ hot” this woman was on his radio show, so there was definitely something there to what Paulie exposed.

June 26th, 2010 | 11:35 pm

BOHAN wrote:

why all of a sudden does he want to “honor” clemete?

2009 was the year that there was a push to retire Clemente’s number throughout MLB.