• June 25th @ The Dodgers

Posted by on June 26th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Yesterday when A-Rod said that this game would be business as usual, he never spoke truer words.

You see, this was a game that had a very business as usual feel to it. The Yankees won. Cano extended a hitting streak, and continued his hot hitting. Tex extended his hitting streak and continued his hot hitting since the 8th of June. A-Rod continued his hot hitting of the past few games by belting a no doubter homer to go with a double. Sabathia continued to look great this month with another dominating outing. Mo was Mo, and Manny was Manny. Add to that the fact the Sabathia drilled Padilla in the leg with a fastball, and you’ve got yourself an enjoyable game.

The most important part of this game, however, is the fact that it looks like A-Rod and Tex are starting to heat up at the same time. If they can put a solid run together, this team is going to be unstoppable with the pitching performances they’ve been getting.

One thing that was interesting, I couldn’t believe how mad Torre and Mattingly got with the umpires borderline calls (the high strike was high though) when Rivera was toeing the rubber. They both received them when they were coaching the Yankees, so I’m not quite sure why they would get so angry. Only guess I could have is that they really do harbor ill will toward the Yankees and really wanted to beat them.

Comments on June 25th @ The Dodgers

1. YankCrank
      June 26th, 2010 | 2:23 pm

—-

I was rather surprised myself, but I also thought the overreaction was partially due to how poorly they’ve been playing lately. Either way, something ticked them off so much to have blown up in the dug out and for Torre to criticize the umpires…which he’ll surely be fined for.

2. 77yankees
      June 26th, 2010 | 5:40 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Agreed – teams don’t whine when they’re winning.

3. June 27th, 2010 | 8:36 am

Those strike calls on Loney were obscene. The umpire should be investigated and fined for those calls. Torre is right, Rivera doesn’t need help like that. And, there’s no way a batter has any chance against him if the ump is going to call a pitch under the shoulders and a pitch four inches outside and way below the knee strikes. It was clear the umpire was trying to send someone a message with those terrible calls, IMHO.

June 27th, 2010 | 10:36 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

The umpire should be investigated and fined for those calls.

We should be so lucky. These umpire zones leave a lot to be desired.

5. Corey Italiano
      June 27th, 2010 | 11:15 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      They weren’t that off, especially if you consider the calls Mo has gotten over the years. Happens all the time. (Except for that high strike, I’ll admit that was obscene)

6. Corey Italiano
      June 27th, 2010 | 11:17 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

pitch four inches outside

How did you see that the pitch was 4 inches outside? They didn’t show that replay. What they did show was the replay from the side of the batter that lets you see if the ball was low or high, and it was at the knees in the hitting zone for the last 2 strikes.