• Chad Huffman & Colin Curtis

Posted by on June 27th, 2010 · Comments (15)

Now, be honest, isn’t much more fun watching, rooting and celebrating those two ninth inning At Bats this evening by Huffman and Curtis than it is watching guys making somewhere between $20 and $30 million a year play the game?

Comments on Chad Huffman & Colin Curtis

1. June 28th, 2010 | 1:07 am

If you mean if it’s more heart-racing, high-blood-pressure-raising, and head-shaking watching Huffman and Curtis bat over the likes of A-Rod, Jeter, Teixeira, and Cano, then yes, it was. Great win though.

2. 77yankees
      June 28th, 2010 | 6:46 am

I don’t know about that, but it sure was nice to see them out there instead of Randy Winn.

3. MJ Recanati
      June 28th, 2010 | 8:30 am

Brent wrote:

Nope.

4. UNC Tarheel
      June 28th, 2010 | 8:35 am

No, because I really don’t care how much guys make….just perform. You seem to have a little salary envy in you…

5. clintfsu813
      June 28th, 2010 | 9:09 am

I’m with UNC..I get the same pleasure out of success whether its Arod or Colin Curtis getting that big hit.

6. Evan3457
      June 28th, 2010 | 11:49 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Actually, it’ll be much more fun reminding you of this statement the next time you write a piece explaining why Cashman is a terrible GM because the Yankees’ bench is awful…

7. MJ Recanati
      June 28th, 2010 | 12:02 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

LOL, I hear ya but in complete honesty, the fact that Colin Curtis and Chad Huffman both played a role in last night’s comeback doesn’t change the fact that the Yankees bench is awful.

8. throwstrikes
      June 28th, 2010 | 12:23 pm

No. If I wanted to watch Curtis and Huffman, 30 days ago I would have taken the ride to Scranton and done that. I want to watch the guy who has the best chance of success.

Game on the line, I want to see Jeter up not Huffman or A-Rod up instead of Curtis.

9. June 28th, 2010 | 12:25 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

My beef, 99% of the time, with Cashman has to do with his track record on pitchers and his inability to win a ring without spending tons and tons of money to get it. Maybe, at some point or another, perhaps, I might have questioned some of his bench moves. But, on the whole, for me, when it comes to Cashman, it’s about pitching and spending. So, let’s me fair…

June 28th, 2010 | 1:03 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

1998-2000 don’t count?

Watson and Michael have had their pitching busts as well. Off the top of my head, I can name Mulholland, Irabu, Ojeda, Weathers, Ricky Bones & Xavier Hernandez. I could probably come up with a few more names if I look them up.

11. June 28th, 2010 | 2:34 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I hear ya, but I would characterize it more as the innocence of the rookies, more than the small salaries they are getting. The media gave Lastings Milledge such grief for doing the high fives with fans when he hit his first home run. I thought it was a great, spontaneous moment. It doesn’t take long before the players act like they’ve seen it all and done it all before. To see the first time they come up big is really fun.

12. June 28th, 2010 | 3:36 pm

Raf wrote:

Did any of them cost what Weaver, Brown, Igawa or Pavano cost?

June 28th, 2010 | 3:51 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Did any of them cost what Weaver, Brown, Igawa or Pavano cost?

Was the salary structure the same in the 90′s as it was in the 00′s?

14. Garcia
      June 28th, 2010 | 4:21 pm

@Steve I think you are way off here. I could care less what a player makes or doesn’t make. And how that works into my fandom or passion.

I remember one inter-league game against the Padres, I’m pretty sure Kenny Lofton either tied the game or won it, I was rooting as hard for him as I was rooting for a guy who is way less an a-hole than Lofton.

I take this to be a pro-owners stand. These guys are making the league minimum, but if they are good and in 6 years they’ll be eligible to be free agents, does that then make them less fun to watch?

No, absolutely not.

So, if all the players were paid a little less than 1 million then you’d love A-Rod more?

Also, who do you want this money going to? The owners? If there’s one collective group of people, I could care less if they make money or not then it is the rich owners.

15. throwstrikes
      June 28th, 2010 | 6:49 pm

I will never understand fans who care what players are paid.

Unless the Steinbrenner’s are going to give me the difference between what they were going to spend and what they do spend, who cares which millionaire gets to put it in their bank account.