• June 27th @ The Dodgers

Posted by on June 28th, 2010 · Comments (17)

Figures.

5 innings, down 5-0, on ESPN, I said alright I’ve seen enough I’m going to bed. Well you know the rest. Lesson learned. Use this as your post-game thread as I didn’t see enough of the good stuff to write a true recap.

Comments on June 27th @ The Dodgers

1. ken
      June 28th, 2010 | 8:25 am

When watching all the bunting from the Dodgers that led to Yanks sloppy play, I could not help thinking about the ’04 ACLS when Torre was criticized for not bunting against Schilling with his ankle injury. I guess he learned that lesson.

2. ken
      June 28th, 2010 | 8:30 am

For those who did not stay up (as I did for which I slept through my alarm this AM), River Ave Blues has a nice recap of the last 2 innings with an analysis of strategies (esp some big 2nd guesses for Torre and Dodgers’ 1B Loney).

3. clintfsu813
      June 28th, 2010 | 8:58 am

To all those who thought this team had no resolve and fight in them a la 2009….boo ya. That is all.

4. YankCrank
      June 28th, 2010 | 9:42 am

Easily the most satisfying win of the year. 9th and 10th innings were the most enjoyable for the year for me…

To be honest, the team played like dick on this little West Coast trip and still won 4 of 6. Now we return home for the light-hitting Mariners…good work Yanks.

5. ken
      June 28th, 2010 | 9:57 am

YankCrank wrote:

Agree with quality of Yanks’ play on the road trip but Cliff Lee pitches tomorrow.

Also, should be an interesting series this week between TB and BOS. TB badly needs wins and BOS is getting hammered with injuries (yet, somehow they have maintained their position in the division).

6. YankCrank
      June 28th, 2010 | 10:13 am

ken wrote:

Didn’t know that, should be fun.

7. Corey Italiano
      June 28th, 2010 | 10:30 am

Does anyone know why the schedule for the next week is so strange?

We’re on the west coast, we go home play Seattle and Toronto, then go back out west to Oakland and Seattle? Wouldn’t it make the most sense to stay out on the west coast? I know scheduling is hard with stadiums being used for other events, but it still seems strange.

8. clintfsu813
      June 28th, 2010 | 11:14 am

With BOS beating up on Jimenez and Lincecum lately, we better whoop Cliff Lee’s ass, lol.

9. MJ Recanati
      June 28th, 2010 | 11:30 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I saw that and thought the same thing. Definitely weird. I consider it one of the many unofficial ways MLB tries to handicap the ballclub. The nice thing is that the NYY members of the All-Star team won’t have to fly back to Anaheim. They can just stay out west and not mess up their body clocks any further.

June 28th, 2010 | 11:43 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Does anyone know why the schedule for the next week is so strange?

The MLB schedule hasn’t been right since interleague play was introduced.

11. Evan3457
      June 28th, 2010 | 11:52 am

Yankees have had at least 3 West Coast trips (and sometimes 4) for the last several years. It used to be 2, max.

The reason for this is that Fox and ESPN want the Yankees on the West Coast as much as possible, against the Angels and occasionally the Dodgers, so they get the East and West Coast audiences.

Same reason just about every damm series vs. the Red Sox and Mets seems to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

12. Garcia
      June 28th, 2010 | 12:24 pm

@clintfsu813
      To all those who thought this team had no resolve and fight in them a la 2009

I was definitely one of those people that has questioned this team’s resolve, last night was awesome, it’s definitely the type of win that I think helps build winning teams. Now, I wouldn’t compare this team to the 2009 team yet, they did win it all.

All I was trying to say is, more of that fighting attitude will go a long way to bringing another championship.

Awesome job by Cano, A-Rod, and Mo.

June 28th, 2010 | 1:09 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      @ Garcia:

FWIW, Yanks-Sox 7/1/04 seems to be a regular feature on Yankees Classics, and I’m sure that game showed the Yanks’ fighting spirit, but they still blew a 3-0 ALCS lead.

14. ken
      June 28th, 2010 | 1:24 pm

Garcia wrote:

Awesome job by Cano, A-Rod, and Mo.

And don’t forget the immortals Colin Curtis and Chad Huffman!

15. Garcia
      June 28th, 2010 | 2:01 pm

@Raf And then on 07/24/2004 the Red Sox showed why their fighting spirit won them a championship: getting into a fight with A-Rod, coming back against Mo, but I bet YES isn’t showing that game.

You’re really missing my point, one game or one big comeback doesn’t make you a championship team, it’s the continuous fighting spirit which I’m referring to.

I felt last year’s team was never out of any game. This year I haven’t felt the same way. I think it is because the bullpen has been keeping them out of games or making a small lead by the opposition into an even bigger one. Last year the Yankee bullpen kept them in games, therefore leading to more dramatic comebacks of the fighting spirit variety.

June 28th, 2010 | 2:12 pm

This year’s team isn’t out of any game, because of their offensive capability. Fighting spirit, shaky bullpen or not, they’re a team that’s built to hit their way to the postseason.

Hopefully Teix, Rodriguez, Granderson and Jeter will rediscover their strokes

17. clintfsu813
      June 28th, 2010 | 2:40 pm

@ Raf:
      Tex and Arod are close, Grandy decent, do want to see more from Jete.