• Yankees Lead A.L. In Defensive Efficiency

    Posted by on June 30th, 2010 · Comments (19)

    For those not aware, Defensive Efficiency is the rate at which balls put into play are converted into outs by a team’s defense. Here’s where the Yankees rank in the A.L. right now -

    Tm R/G DefEff 6 G Inn Ch PO A E DP Fld%
    NYY 4.12 .709 75 5961.0 2720 1987 705 28 75 .990
    TBR 3.79 .707 75 6081.0 2818 2027 743 48 69 .983
    TEX 4.27 .702 75 6078.0 2790 2026 716 48 67 .983
    SEA 4.28 .702 75 6006.0 2793 2002 739 52 67 .981
    OAK 4.19 .701 77 6138.0 2897 2046 802 49 59 .983
    BOS 4.60 .695 77 6267.0 2900 2089 765 46 67 .984
    LgAvg 4.48 .692 76 6066 2832 2022 764 45 70 .984
    TOR 4.40 .692 77 6168.0 2931 2056 836 39 80 .987
    MIN 4.07 .690 76 6114.0 2825 2038 759 28 67 .990
    KCR 4.88 .689 77 6123.0 2827 2041 735 51 65 .982
    DET 4.47 .688 75 5928.0 2797 1976 768 53 80 .981
    CHW 4.41 .684 75 6021.0 2824 2007 779 38 73 .987
    BAL 5.33 .680 75 5907.0 2744 1969 731 44 61 .984
    LAA 4.79 .676 78 6225.0 2873 2075 745 53 58 .982
    CLE 5.16 .674 75 5913.0 2904 1971 877 56 93 .981
      4.48 .692 1062 84930.0 39643 28310 10700 633 981 .984
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 6/30/2010.

    .

    So, the good news is that your defense is doing a super job so far this year. Of course, the bad news may be that they’re going to have to keep it up in order for your pitchers to look as good as they have so far this season…

    Comments on Yankees Lead A.L. In Defensive Efficiency

    1. alterity
      June 30th, 2010 | 11:39 am

      yeah, it really sucks when you do something well. then you have to keep doing it!!!! oh noes.

      and don’t tell me about your bolded *may*. another blogger i read, in another context, calls what you’re doing JAQing off. that’s Just Asking Questions.

      as in the conclusion to just about everyone of your posts, implicitly or explicitly: “Hey, the Yankees might be in first, but they might suddenly start to suck. What’ll they do then? And how is this Cashman’s fault? I dunno. . . guess we’ll just wait and see.”

      see, i’m not SAYING anything, just asking a question. what’s at issue: you don’t really care about the answer, or you’re asking a question the answer to which is inherently unknowable, as in when you say “we’ll have to wait and see.” well, yes, that’s pretty much how life works. but that, combined with your abusive deployment of ellipses suggest an ominous and world-weary tone, as if you’ve seen all this before, that Hughes really actually sucks, that Burnett will be bad in every start, because Cashman faile dto predict evrything perfectly.

      and why should you care anyway? you said yourself a month or two ago that you don’t even really like this team anymore.

    2. MJ Recanati
      June 30th, 2010 | 11:45 am

      I’m kinda surprised to see the Yanks #1 on this list considering how much better Jeter played his position last year as compared to this year. I guess the improvements are from Cano, Swisher, and the Gardner/Granderson over Damon/Cabrera? If so, that probably makes sense.

    3. YankCrank
      June 30th, 2010 | 12:13 pm

      This team has come a long way since 2005. That team was just miserable defensively.

    4. clintfsu813
      June 30th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

      Love to see that we’re beating the “young stud” Rays at the Defense game.

    5. June 30th, 2010 | 12:34 pm

      @ alterity: Best way I can address your comments is to tell you to read this:

      http://waswatching.com/2008/04/09/some-housekeeping-on-comments-regarding-me/

    6. Raf
      June 30th, 2010 | 1:39 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      I’m kinda surprised to see the Yanks #1 on this list

      As am I. I’d rather this than having a team that can score but not play defense, like the 04-05 clubs

    7. MJ Recanati
      June 30th, 2010 | 1:42 pm

      Raf wrote:

      I’d rather this than having a team that can score but not play defense, like the 04-05 clubs

      As a matter of personal preference, perhaps. But since we all know there’s more than one way to skin a cat, my own personal preference is that Jeter, Teixeira and A-Rod start hitting. You’re not going to win many playoff games when your 1, 3 and 4 hitters aren’t hitting consistently.

    8. June 30th, 2010 | 2:04 pm

      @ MJ Recanati: A-Rod isn’t hitting?

    9. Corey Italiano
      June 30th, 2010 | 2:17 pm

      A-Rod and Tex have both been hitting well in the last week+

    10. Jake1
      June 30th, 2010 | 3:30 pm

      The improvement in LF and CF and well also in RF has made them tops on this.

    11. YankCrank
      June 30th, 2010 | 3:40 pm

      Jake1 wrote:

      The improvement in LF and CF and well also in RF has made them tops on this.

      Not sure if a catcher’s defense is included in that stat, but don’t forget Cervelli catching more often than Posada. That has to help.

    12. Evan3457
      July 1st, 2010 | 10:29 am

      What I can’t figure out is who in the Yankees organization is responsible for changing the emphasis from older players who can hit but can’t field, to younger, more athletic players who have range and can field their positions.

      Normally, in most organizations, it would be the GM, after consulting with his organizational analysts and sabermetic guys, and the manager. I mean, they might promote guys with athletic/defensive ability, while accepting somewhat lower offensive production, or spend good talent to trade for it, while letting go of aging, more productive hitters who can no longer hold an every day job in the field, because there are other options at DH.

      But clearly, this is impossible for the Yankees, who have the worst GM and manager in Major League Baseball.

      ;)

    13. MJ Recanati
      July 1st, 2010 | 10:32 am

      @ Evan3457:
      Love it.

    14. July 1st, 2010 | 10:39 am

      @ MJ Recanati:
      @ Evan3457:

      Give Giradi and his coaches the credit for having his players in better position…because, outside of the OFers and 1B, it’s the same players who were not leading the league in DEF EFF before…

      Does the GM get any credit? Yeah, sure, for spending a boatload on money on the 1B and for having slugs like Giambi and Abreu on the team in the past…making this squad look that much better by comparison.

    15. MJ Recanati
      July 1st, 2010 | 10:53 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      You live in an alternate reality, clearly.

    16. July 1st, 2010 | 10:57 am

      @ MJ Recanati:

      Yeah, I’m living in the DB CG Club.

      Don’t Believe In Cashman Genuflection Club

    17. MJ Recanati
      July 1st, 2010 | 10:58 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Wherever you want to live is fine with me. You don’t even need to have your facts straight to live there. I hear property values are crashing in that part of town, however. But if you’re good with DBCG then I’m happy for you.

    18. Evan3457
      July 1st, 2010 | 8:08 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      @ MJ Recanati:
      @ Evan3457:
      Give Giradi and his coaches the credit for having his players in better position…because, outside of the OFers and 1B, it’s the same players who were not leading the league in DEF EFF before…
      Does the GM get any credit? Yeah, sure, for spending a boatload on money on the 1B and for having slugs like Giambi and Abreu on the team in the past…making this squad look that much better by comparison.

      Who traded for Swisher?
      Who traded for Granderson?
      Who called up Gardner and gave him a chance, and traded away Melky?

      Can’t be Cashman, because all those moves improved the defense. :-P :)

    19. Raf
      July 1st, 2010 | 9:44 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Can’t be Cashman, because all those moves improved the defense.

      And he didn’t spend a boatload of $$$ :P :D

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.