• An All Star Manager Indeed

Posted by on July 6th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Sunday when the all stars were announced I was sitting in my seat at the Stadium. I was shocked that Girardi would go with Sabathia over Pettitte. I mean Pettitte has not only pitched better throughout the season, but he’s getting up there in age. Sabathia will have plenty of opportunities to make future all star teams.  This might be the last time for Pettitte, and we all read the stories about how his kids really wanted him to make the all star team. I couldn’t make any sense of it.

Then I read that Andy would take Buckholz place on the roster, and it got me thinking. I wonder if there was a back room meeting between Girardi and Andy. Basically Girardi saying to Andy, whom he’s known for years, hey look you’ll be an all star when Buckholz goes on the DL, let me give the nod to CC in the beginning. What motivation would the manager have in naming Sabathia over Pettitte to start with? Well, CC Sabathia has an opt out clause that goes into effect at the end of next year, and perhaps this is Girardi’s way of playing into that decision down the line. Gotta keep big CC happy.

If that’s the case, Girardi truly is an all star manager.

Comments on An All Star Manager Indeed

1. July 6th, 2010 | 8:53 pm

Re-read this man…too many errors to list.

2. July 6th, 2010 | 9:11 pm

FWIW, I’m pretty sure when the squads were announced that it was a given that CC made the team, and, because he was starting on Sunday, would not be able to play and Pettitte was told he would be taking his place – and that it would be “official” once the start for CC on Sunday was a lock.

I know, some time over the weekend, I saw video of Pettitte saying he was happy to make the team, even through the back door, and that CC was cool with it as long as he got to go and hang with the guys.

3. jay
      July 6th, 2010 | 11:29 pm

@Steve Lombardi

I’m not sure if you didn’t watch any of the last series, but Michael Kay wouldn’t shut up about this both before and after the all star selections were made. According to him (from Girardi), he did set it up this way to get Sabathia and Pettite on the team.

Well, thinking out loud, I guess you didn’t watch the games on YES because that would mean you’re basically just repeating what Kay said.

4. Corey Italiano
      July 7th, 2010 | 7:56 am

@ jay:
      I havn’t been watching the YES games, you’re right. I work during the day, and didn’t get a chance to catch up on the dvr recording. I hate those 1 pm, and then 10 pm game starts.

5. July 7th, 2010 | 9:55 am

@ jay: I think you meant Corey and not me?

6. throwstrikes
      July 7th, 2010 | 11:02 am

Girardi may have figured out a way to get 50 guys named to the AL All-Star roster in 34 spots.

7. July 7th, 2010 | 11:36 am

@ throwstrikes:
      It is amazing how many of these SP are throwing in the Sunday before the game..

8. jay
      July 7th, 2010 | 9:16 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ jay: I think you meant Corey and not me?

Yeah – I thought you were the original poster. My bad.

To Corey – I know what you mean re: the late night games. I’ve been calling it quits at midnight no matter whats going on.

9. jay
      July 7th, 2010 | 9:16 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ throwstrikes:
      It is amazing how many of these SP are throwing in the Sunday before the game..

Again, I’m pretty sure it was on purpose.