• GQ Doesn’t Love Or Hate YES

Posted by on July 12th, 2010 · Comments (10)

But, click here to see who they do love and hate.

Comments on GQ Doesn’t Love Or Hate YES

1. clintfsu813
      July 12th, 2010 | 3:00 pm

Dodgers: I’m probably in the minority here…I know Scully is an icon and should be revered as such. But, when I listened to him when the Yanks were in LA, I seriously almost dozed off several times. Hes in there by himself and gives such a monotone voice it was incredibly boring. Respect the guy, but it was unbearable.

Rays: Finally someone other than me realized these guys suuuuuuck!

Whitesox: Nuff said. Totally agree.

I personally dont like the Dbacks guys, but maybe thats just cause they were intentionally 2001 this and Rivera cant beat us that…

2. butchie22
      July 12th, 2010 | 4:35 pm

The Yanks have too many bloody analysts. Singleton, Flaherty and Leiter are perfect in the booth. Paul O’ Neill and Tino when they are around are not. Paul is too folksy on air and I absolutely, postively despise the inside joke banter between him and Kay. Kay is just OK at best. And Tino’s pattern of speech is simply not mellifluous
      to say the least.

Clint what you said was blasephmy mate! Say what you want about Scully but he’s the best in the biz. And he’s the exact opposite of a homer like Harry Caray and Hawk BTW.He is old school at times because he’s old BUT I’d much rather have that than O’Neill and Kay joke around aimlessly tough. I’d much rather hear what’s happening in the game as opposed to how much Paul The Warrior eats!

I used to love Harry Kalas from Philly because he used to stick it to the Phils when they stunk and would laud them when they were good. He really told it like it was. And his voice was a classic one with a certain elegance right up there with the late Bob Shephard’s.

3. MJ Recanati
      July 12th, 2010 | 4:43 pm

Glad that someone else noticed how awful the White Sox group is.

I’m not surprised that YES didn’t make it because, as Butch said, the Yanks don’t even have a regular crew at this point. You’re just as likely to get Kay as you are Kenny Singleton and it’s a potpourri of color guys with Flash Flaherty, Paul O’Neill, Al Leiter… YES needs to fire everyone else and stick with Kenny Singleton and Al Leiter and be done with it.

Finally, why am I not surprised that Boston got some love from a mainstream media source? Seriously? Jerry Remy? He’s unbearable. Clear your throat with your phlegmy smoker’s cough you gross m**herf**ker!

4. Evan3457
      July 12th, 2010 | 4:47 pm

YES could use a better host/pbp guy. Kay isn’t terrible; in fact, he’s better than many. But they could do better, I think. I thought Cone and Singleton were just about perfect as the analyst pair, but Cone’s gone. Right now, I prefer Singleton and Leiter. O’Neill isn’t bad if you can get him talking about the game, rather than trading insults with Kay. That’s fine once in a while, but they seem to force it every time they’re together. Tino’s likable enough, but he seems tight to me when he’s on air, forcing comments just to have something to say. Flats is good on analysis. In fact, he’s very good at it. It’s just his misfortune to have a flat delivery that puts people to sleep.

5. clintfsu813
      July 12th, 2010 | 5:54 pm

@ butchie22:
      I said I respected the guy, just that he put me to sleep. Like with Bobby Bowden. I respect the hell out of that guy. But his media speeches were borrring. I guess thats my youth talking. To be honest I really enjoy Kay and Oneil. Singleton and Flash are ok. Prefer them over the away team anyday.

@ MJ Recanati:
      I prefer the Bahston guys when we’re playing them on ESPN

6. Corey Italiano
      July 12th, 2010 | 7:09 pm

If it were me, I’d give Singleton and Flash the reigns. That’s my favorite pair. Flash has really grown on me.

7. MJ Recanati
      July 13th, 2010 | 8:38 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

I prefer the Bahston guys when we’re playing them on ESPN

Really? Wow, that’s just nuts. I detest Jerry Remy’s voice plus the thought of ever watching NESN makes my skin crawl.

8. clintfsu813
      July 13th, 2010 | 8:43 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I find that the ESPN f*ckers are normally more homerific for the Sux than their own announcers. At least NESN actually takes time to respect a guy like Jeter or Cano instead of verbally ass raping Ellsbury over a steal of home…even 5 innings later. “What a towering shot by Arod to tie the game…now back to that incredible play by Ellsbury in the first inning!!!!!!!!”

9. butchie22
      July 13th, 2010 | 9:54 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ MJ Recanati:

Clint I must agree to a certain degree with you on that note. Orsillo and Remdawg seem almost professional compared to some of the hype coming out of NESPN! Remdawg can be critical where need be. He happens to disilke Wolf Boy Pedroia intensely. He can be less homerish than the Yes analysts for what it’s worth. Orsillo has a great voice(he’s had elocution lessons so his native New England accent has been tempered somewhat!?)and calls a decent enough game BUT he is a homer. He makes Sterling look like Kay in comparison. Dennis Eckersley also does Red Sox games sometimes and he hasn’t a clue of what is going on, he’s a bloody f^&*ing embarrasment. he is ill prepared and should be working with Hawk Harrelson and Steve Stone at the Pale Hose games. BUT NESN has Heidi watney, NESN’s Kin Jones…..she is really hot though I must say. and it has well documented she made Varitek and Nick Green get into a fight over her that little she-devil. That being said Lil Kim JOnes is a much better analyst though…..

@MJ,Remdawg’s New England is so hard to get past at times I must admit BUT he’s not exactly in the Waldman/Sterling mode of broadcasting.

@Evan, Flash’s misgivings in delivery are forgiven in my eyes by his excellent contribution in terms of information. I’d rather much hear the inside baseball on things THAN how Paul ate three pizzas, half a box of cannolis AND then went top Citi Field just to sample Shake Shack!I never liked Cone as an analyst. Very nice guy, great Yankee but there was too much of a folksy/Midwestern approach coming from him which I didn’t enjoy.However I did appreciate the fact that Coney had such a wealth of information about the other teams he played for and IMO that was Coney’s saving grace.

@Corey Cheers to your broadcast choice!

Another thing about Steve Stone from the White Sox broadcast team, he refers to the Sox as we almost twice as much as Hawk does!;) I heard Adam the Bullshitter on the FAN give him props…whatta joke. Stone in no way counteracts Hawk’s ludicrous campy bombast in any way!

10. GDH
      July 13th, 2010 | 10:17 am

It’s a very good thing they weren’t talking about radio. Because even though I need to plug my ears when theeee yankees win and anyone hits a home run, Sterling is bearable and calls the game. Waldman is just repulsive. I can’t accurately describe the feelings that her voice evokes for me and stay within the civil boundaries of this blog. Michael Kay should go back to calling himself Harry Moscowitz. I’d give him props for that – it’s a NY name. He’s tiresome and doesn’t do PBP, which is annoying for someone who grew up hearing Frank Messer do it like a pro.

I will say that the SF Giants radio crew, with Jon Miller and Dave Fleming sharing PBP and color duties is excellent, and just makes you want to listen despite what is or isn’t happening. Jon Miller is much better for the Giants than he is when he has to endure Joe Morgan on NESPN. He has a really zany sense of humor and gives a great call on the big plays.