• The Secret Steinbrenner Was A Good Dude

Posted by on July 15th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via Otis Livingston:

“[George Steinbrenner] once told me, and this is a direct quote: ‘If you do something for someone and more than 2 people know about it, meaning you and that person, then you did it for the wrong reason,” said former Yankees PR executive Rick Cerrone.

And, to Big Stein, this was not just lip service. Click here to see just one example of this.

Comments on The Secret Steinbrenner Was A Good Dude

1. MJ Recanati
      July 15th, 2010 | 4:47 pm

Nice story and not the only one like it, I’m sure.

All the same, I’ve never understood how someone could prefer to be so kind to strangers and so cruel to friends, acquaintances and employees.

2. BOHAN
      July 15th, 2010 | 5:19 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      he had an image he wanted to keep. he proably felt if he wasnt hard on his employees they would take advantage of that and walk all over him. ive had bosses that tried to be everyone’s friend and they just got walked right over by everyone. once people see weakness in someone thats considered a higher up they’ll take full advantage of that.

3. July 15th, 2010 | 6:45 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I could be wrong, but my impression was that he was great to his friends. It was only when the friends went to work for him that things went bad.

July 15th, 2010 | 9:57 pm

BOHAN wrote:

Still, there’s a balance to be struck. And even so, the way he was (kinda like Mr. Spacely), wasn’t really conducive to being the tough guy he wanted to portray as he seemed to hire/fire the same people over again.

lisaswan wrote:

That seems to be my impression as well.

5. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2010 | 9:11 am

@ BOHAN:
      I’ve had both kinds of bosses and I know which style I responded to. Most human beings don’t respond well to being chastized, bullied and humiliated on a daily basis. As a boss, Steinbrenner was an atrocious person. There’s no point white-washing the truth on that one. What was tolerable in professional sports would be unacceptable in the normal American workplace.

6. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2010 | 9:11 am

@ lisaswan:
      Not sure I agree but I certainly won’t argue your impression over my own.

7. Evan3457
      July 16th, 2010 | 2:54 pm

Not every man’s life can be packaged, sealed and gift-wrapped into one neat little box.

Would I ever have wanted to work for him? Never. At his worst, he was horrendous.

On the other hand, there must be hundreds of stories like this one, all over the NYC area, all over the country. At his best, he was magnificent.

Do they cancel out? I can’t make that judgement; it’s over my head.

8. MJ Recanati
      July 16th, 2010 | 3:50 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Do they cancel out?

Of course not. Killing puppies but loving kittens doesn’t make the act of killing puppies any less offensive, wrong or cruel.