• Yanks Will Salute Stein & Sheppard Tomorrow

Posted by on July 15th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via Bryan Hoch

The Yankees will hold a tribute to commemorate the lives and recognize the deaths of George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard before Friday’s game against the Rays.

The pregame ceremony will include a video tribute to Steinbrenner, the former Yankees chairman and principal owner, who died Tuesday at age 80, as well as a moment of silence for “The Boss” and Sheppard, the club’s longtime public address announcer.

The game starts at 7:05 p.m. ET, and the team encourages fans to be at their seats by 6:45 p.m. Additional ceremonies will take place Saturday during Old-Timers’ Day, and more tributes will be revealed Friday.

During Friday’s ceremony, a wreath will be placed in front of Steinbrenner’s statue in the Gate 2 Executive Lobby of Yankee Stadium, and another will be placed in front of Sheppard’s plaque in Monument Park.

Since they’re only scheduling 20 minutes for this, I have to think Saturday we’ll see more stuff for the guys…

Comments on Yanks Will Salute Stein & Sheppard Tomorrow

1. MJ Recanati
      July 15th, 2010 | 4:44 pm

————-
      I’ve been all over the new stadium and I can’t say I remember ever seeing any statues of Steinbrenner (or anyone else, for that matter).

2. July 15th, 2010 | 4:47 pm

You need to be in the Executive Lobby to see it, presently.

3. MJ Recanati
      July 15th, 2010 | 4:53 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

You need to be in the Executive Lobby to see it, presently.

I guess since I’m not an executive, I don’t get to see it. Bummer, I’d love to see it.

4. July 15th, 2010 | 4:56 pm
    5. MJ Recanati
      July 15th, 2010 | 5:02 pm

Can’t say I ever remember even hearing about a statue of Steinbrenner in the ballpark. The picture itself makes the statue seem OK.

There’s something else in that link though that I like better: the idea for a regal Babe Ruth statue in Babe Ruth Plaza. I like the ring of “Meet you at the Babe” as the new way of saying “Meet you at the bat.”

6. BOHAN
      July 15th, 2010 | 5:23 pm

just got tickets for saturday. pretty pumped first ever old timer’s day.

July 15th, 2010 | 10:06 pm

People have put together an impromptu memorial in front of Gate 4

8. clintfsu813
      July 16th, 2010 | 9:00 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Dont need to be an executive..I took picture with it. Its just to left of Gate 2 entrance.