• July 25th Vs. The Royals

Posted by on July 26th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Curtis Granderson showed up!

Yesterday (before the hurricane hit the stadium),  Hughes put in a serviceable performance. He wasn’t horrible, but he wasn’t great either. Some may want to point to the near quality start that was shortened by rain and say that he pitched pretty well. Anytime Scott Podsednik hits a homer off a pitcher, I can’t say it was a good performance. (And somehow he hit 2 homers this game, the other off Joba)

BS call by the umpires that allowed one of Hughes’ Park’s run to score, though. The ball was in the dirt, and Jorge threw his mask to the side to look for it. The ball then proceeded to roll right underneath the mask, accidentally. The runner was then permitted to score by the umps, as it states in the rules that the catchers mask cannot touch the ball. Odd scoring on that, as Posada got an error but Hughes was still given an earned run. Not sure how that works out. (My bad, in my mind I remembered it happening in the beginning of the game. Beers and a rain delay’ll do that to ya)

If anyone missed it, I just want to take a second and say WOW to Ankiel’s homer off of Hughes. It hit off the facing of the upper deck. That was a moonshot, and he was the closest to a right field upper deck shot that we’ve had.

I can’t lie, when the ball hit Rodriguez, I thought it hit his hand and that he’d be out till the playoffs with a broken hand. Thank goodness it just looked worse than it was. Prior to that, A-Rod went for 600 with a few swings yesterday but overall he has kept his swing tight in an effort to avoid going into a slump while he goes for 600. Much different than when he went for 500.

Is it really possible that Joba is worse than Chan Ho Park at this moment in time?

Comments on July 25th Vs. The Royals

1. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:05 am

Hughes’s start notwithstanding, I won’t agree that “anytime Scott Podsednick hits a homer off a pitcher…it’s not a good performance.” Fluke HR’s will happen. There have been plenty of light-hitting ballplayers that hit fluke homers so I wouldn’t judge someone’s performance based on a random HR.

2. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:06 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Perhaps I was jaded since he went deep twice. Got me pretty riled up.

3. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:07 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

No, it’s not possible. I’m #62′s biggest hater and even I don’t think he’s worse than CHoP. But that doesn’t mean he’s good. #62 is terrible and should’ve been banished to Scranton months ago. The decrease in per diem meal money at AAA would be only one of the many ways his life would improve down there.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:08 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I hear ya. Hughes didn’t pitch that well in my opinion either. Just saying that Podsednick could’ve hit it off Cy Young too. Lousy HR’s from non-HR hitters will happen from time to time.

5. clintfsu813
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

BS call by the umpires that allowed one of Hughes’ runs to score, though. The ball was in the dirt, and Jorge threw his mask to the side to look for it. The ball then proceeded to roll right underneath the mask, accidentally. The runner was then permitted to score by the umps, as it states in the rules that the catchers mask cannot touch the ball. Odd scoring on that, as Posada got an error but Hughes was still given an earned run. Not sure how that works out.

This Run was given to CHOP in the 9th. Terrible reporting, ;)

6. clintfsu813
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:06 pm

I also agree that a demotion for Joba may help matters. Not only would it give him the chance to work out his pitching, but the drop to the ego may stir the animal back inside him. If he blows a lead while I’m there in Tampa, I’m burning my Joba Rules shirt!

@ MJ Recanati:
      Only 5 more games till I get to witness history again, ;)

7. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:25 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

This Run was given to CHOP in the 9th. Terrible reporting, ;)

Wow, you’re absolutely right. For some reason I had it from Hughes in my mind. Touche.

8. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:48 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Only 5 more games till I get to witness history again,

Well, this weekend didn’t work out exactly as I’d hoped. So, we’re back to rooting for you to witness history on 7/31. If it’s gotta happen on the road, it may as well happen in Tampa which is more NYY-friendly than Cleveland.