• What If Gene Orza Had Stayed Out Of It?

Posted by on July 26th, 2010 · Comments (16)

Boston’s beloved CHB addresses a a question that I’ve always wondered about.

And, in there, he writes:

…in more than six seasons since it all went down, I have never once heard a Red Sox fans say, “I wish we’d gotten A-Rod.”

That’s probably true, and, interesting, no?

Comments on What If Gene Orza Had Stayed Out Of It?

1. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:11 am

Eff Shaugnessy and eff A-Rod’s haters. That Red Sox fans have never said they wished they had A-Rod doesn’t mean anything. The absence of A-Rod isn’t why they won the 2004 World Series, nor was it his presence on the Yanks that kept them from winning it from ’04-’08.

I’m DAMN GLAD we have A-Rod and so should the rest of the NYY fan base. Boston’s loss has been our profound gain.

2. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:14 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      But…I thought we were better off with Cody Ransom as our everyday 3b? :P

3. bfriley76
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:19 am

Then they’re idiots, and not in the cute way they like to use it in Boston. Look at the production they’ve had at SS (where I’d assume Alex would be playing) and the number of different SS they’ve had playing there since then. Examining it objectively, there’s no way to say they wouldn’t be better off with A-Rod.

4. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:21 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      Oh, clearly. Cody Ransom’s four career NYY HR’s were all hit with the team in mind whereas each and every one of Rodriguez’s 218 career NYY HR’s were hit for himself with one hand on the bat and the other on a little mirror so he could stare at himself as he rounded the bases. That selfish SOB has lost more games for the Yanks than anyone in the history of baseball.

July 26th, 2010 | 11:26 am

That’s probably true, and, interesting, no?

Not really; I’m sure that sentiment isn’t limited to Rodriguez. Haven’t heard that they wish they had Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada, etc, etc, etc.

Had the trade gone through, the Red Sox would’ve gotten a better all around player than Ramirez. Not sure what they would’ve done with Nomar or what deals were on the table for him. It would’ve been interesting, to say the least.

6. MJ Recanati
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:29 am

@ Raf:
      Perhaps they could’ve moved Nomar to 3B? Although hindsight might say otherwise, at the time he would’ve been better than Bill Mueller and I imagine he might’ve been more willing to move off SS for someone of A-Rod’s stature.

In any event, I’m thrilled that we’ll never know the answer to that question.

7. Evan3457
      July 26th, 2010 | 11:56 am

Sox fans have wished over and over that their closer was as good as Rivera. I know that every time I read a game thread over at SOSH in which Mariano pitches for the Yanks, or Papelbon is struggling for the Sox.

8. Rich M
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:08 pm

It would be nice if Shaughnessy could get his facts straight. The Yankees may not have restructured ARod’s deal, but they didnt pick up his entire contract. Texas kicked in a huge chunk of it. What I want to know is why didn’t the Red Sox think to ask the Rangers to kick in some cash?

9. Rich M
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:11 pm

Also according to the caption under the pic in the article Alex was a member of the Yankees in 2003. For crying out loud doesn’t SI hire a fact checker?

10. clintfsu813
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:14 pm

F-ing liars. You CANNOT tell me those pricks down in Beantown weren’t wishing they had Arod when he was putting it to the Angels (Something they couldnt do last year) or Phils in the playoffs last year. I’d more believe a Yanks fan when they say…glad we didnt get Manny in ’09.

11. Garcia
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:19 pm

Why is there all this backlash against the CHB, I’m not a fan of his either, but the Red Sox did win two world series w/o him. And, what’s so bad with him saying that RSN has never wished they had traded for A-Rod? He’s writing about their fan-base.

This is the thing I never get with A-Rod, nothing can be said about A-Rod without it being about two things: genuflect or hatred. There is no in-between, I read what he wrote, he didn’t dis A-Rod in any way other than saying – sometimes the best deals are the one’s that are never made.

12. Corey Italiano
      July 26th, 2010 | 12:32 pm

Raf wrote:

The Red Sox had the framework for a deal for Magglio Ordonez that featured Nomar. That fell through once the Red Sox couldn’t get A-Rod.

13. July 26th, 2010 | 1:00 pm

If A-Rod were never a Yankee, and thus never the scapegoat for the post-2003 Yankee playoff failures, my guess is that Joe Torre would have been forced out as Yankee manager in 2005, after the team didn’t make the playoffs without A-Rod’s MVP season.

14. Evan3457
      July 26th, 2010 | 1:44 pm

lisaswan wrote:

This. Very much.

July 26th, 2010 | 2:02 pm

Rich M wrote:

Good question. Maybe it was because throwing money on top of taking on Manny’s contract would’ve been a bit too much? I had forgotten that the Rangers paid so much of Rodriguez’s salary.

@ Corey Italiano:
      Thanks. That would make sense, Ordonez in RF with Nixon/Kapler & co manning LF. Probably would’ve been an improvement defensively too.

@ lisaswan:
      I don’t know about that, there would’ve been other moves made, given the way the Yankees operate. Looking at the lineup and the way the team was constructed, it would’ve taken an overwhelming number of injuries and ineffectiveness to the offense for them to miss the playoffs (along the lines of what happened in 2008) in 2005.

Having said that, I thought Torre was good as gone after the 04 playoffs.

16. July 26th, 2010 | 2:23 pm

@ Evan3457: Thanks very much!

@ Raf: In 2005, the Yanks and Red Sox both won 95 games. Cleveland won 93 games, and lost out on the Wild Card to the Sox the last weekend of the season. Does A-Rod’s MVP season (.321, 48 HR, 130 RBI, .421 OBP, 9.4 WAR value) in 2005 get the Yankees into the playoffs? I say yes. And that’s not getting into whether the Yanks would have made it to the ALCS in 2004 at all without A-Rod.