• July 26th @ The Indians

Posted by on July 27th, 2010 · Comments (16)

The Yanks bested the Indians 3-2 last night on a night where they were being two-hit going into the eighth inning.  Fortunately for the Yanks, Curtis Granderson stepped up to the plate with one on and none out and he lifted a ball out to the stands in right field to turn a 2-1 game into their one-run margin of victory.

The Good:

• The aforementioned Granderson went 2-for-3 last night and drove in the winning runs with his 10th HR of the season and his third in the last two games.  Since the All-Star break (10 games), Granderson is hitting .306/.375/.583.
    • OK, this is a little sarcastic but I wanted to praise Girardi for avoiding the natural instinct to use #62 last night.  By going with Robertson, Logan and Rivera, the Yankee bullpen pitched two scoreless innings of one-hit ball and preserved the win.
    • Javier Vazquez wasn’t brilliant (7 5 2 2 3 5) but he was effective and efficient and kept the team in the game before turning it over to his bullpen.

The Bad:

• Tribe starter Jake Westbrook was on his game so bad hitting performances will happen.  I’ll spare the majority of the Yankee lineup for their lack of impact last night and simply point out that, for the second time in three games, the umpiring crew made calls that instant replay showed were incorrect.  Note to the umps: next time, instead of Gatorade between innings, try some Red Bull.

Matt Garza pitched the Rays’ franchise first-ever no-hitter over Detroit and Boston shelled Danny Haren and company in Anaheim thus the Yanks gained no ground in the race to October.  Tonight it’s CC Sabathia (13-3, 3.18) pitching against his former club.  The Indians will send rookie Josh Tomlin to the mound in his MLB debut.  Hopefully A-Rod can hit #600 on his 35th birthday.

Comments on July 26th @ The Indians

1. clintfsu813
      July 27th, 2010 | 8:46 am

Dear Angels, enjoy Danny Haren suckas!
      This really is a crazy year pitching wise. Garza gives up 7ER to BAL, then goes out and no hits the Tigers. Lets hope he keeps up the trend and gets shelled this Saturday.

Grandy has impressed me this year with his timing on some of his dingers. He’s really won some road games for us this year. Im hoping for a strong second half from him.

Anybody else glad Moseley is getting start over Mitre Thursday?

2. MJ Recanati
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:16 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Anybody else glad Moseley is getting start over Mitre Thursday?

I’d rather have stuck with Mitre. Whatever we think of Mitre, Moseley is worse.

3. Corey Italiano
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:20 am

Aside from the last inning, I’d say Javy was pretty damn good. A lot better than you’re giving credit for.

4. Corey Italiano
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:21 am

Also, that “miscall” by the umps WAS a catch. If you watch the play, it bounced while it was inside the glove, it didn’t touch the ground.

5. G.I. Joey
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:37 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I thought it might have, but I really couldn’t tell. It was very close. It didn’t help that Trevor crow immedieately gunned the ball to 2nd instead of simply showing that he caught it. That’s what tipped Girardi off that he might have trapped it.

6. MJ Recanati
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:39 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      He gave up 5 hits, each of which were XBH (4 2B/1 HR). I said he was effective and efficient but 3 BB and 5 XBH doesn’t get the “brilliant” tag in my book.

Re: the umpiring, there were two calls last night. The one you’re talking about was doubling up Teixeira but the other one was Grandy trying to stretch a single into a double and being called out at second. I’m pretty sure he was safe there.

7. MJ Recanati
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:40 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Agreed. The fielder didn’t sell the catch which tells me that he doesn’t think he caught it cleanly either.

8. Corey Italiano
      July 27th, 2010 | 9:49 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

G.I. Joey wrote:

I thought it might have, but I really couldn’t tell. It was very close.

As O’Neill says, love the Yes-Mo.

July 27th, 2010 | 10:12 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Anybody else glad Moseley is getting start over Mitre Thursday?

There isn’t that much of a difference between the two.

10. clintfsu813
      July 27th, 2010 | 10:23 am

I agree but I liked how Moseley looked vs KC the other day.

11. Scout
      July 27th, 2010 | 10:27 am

I would like to see Ivan Nova get a shot. With him, at least, there may be some upside. The other two will never be more than mediocre.

12. Corey Italiano
      July 27th, 2010 | 10:40 am

Scout wrote:

Perhaps the Yankees know that Nova might stink, and would rather stash him at AAA so he doesn’t lose trade value? Just a thought..

July 27th, 2010 | 10:42 am

Scout wrote:

Still don’t know why they haven’t called him up. Don’t know why Alby was sent down. Don’t know why Park and Gaudin are still with the team.

14. MJ Recanati
      July 27th, 2010 | 11:03 am

Raf wrote:

Still don’t know why they haven’t called him up.

No idea but my guess is that they’d rather keep him on tract as a starter because that maximized his trade value?

Raf wrote:

Absolutely no idea on this. Cashman/Girardi’s 25-man roster construction is fine, it’s merely the choices they’ve made with those 25 men that is beyond confusing. You have four pitchers (Gaudin, Park, Moseley and Mitre) for two roles. The Yanks should pick two of the four (Mitre and one of Moseley/Park), jettison the other two and add Albaladejo. Their loyalty to Park, Gaudin (and #62) considering how bad these guys have been all year.

July 27th, 2010 | 11:45 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I was thinking of calling him up as a starter, take Pettitte’s starts, then send him back down when Pettitte returns, or if he bombs in the majors.

I don’t know how keeping him down there would maximize his value. If anything, I would think that it would hurt it; the organization doesn’t think enough of him that they’d rather go with a couple of retreads. Even more so, since they called him up earlier and didn’t use him much.

16. Evan3457
      July 27th, 2010 | 11:47 am

Park will be gone soon. Moseley or Gaudin will be gone if/when Aceves gets back. I don’t know who’ll go if/when Marte gets back (or if the Yanks can get Downs from the Jays).