• Hoods Making Yankees Hat More Famous Than…

Posted by on July 30th, 2010 · Comments (8)

I saw this in the news today, via the ABC Eyewitness News site -

A January murder outside the China Club in Midtown now has police looking for eight men.

The NYPD says the eight are wanted for questioning in the January 23 incident. Police released pictures of the suspects in the hopes that the public will help locate them.

Up to five of the eight appear to favor New York Yankee baseball caps.

Here’s the picture:

Just about everyday, almost without fail, when using Google News looking for “Yankees” stories, I’ll get some story about a mugging, bank robbery, or some other crime, because the suspect committing it is described in the story as “wearing a Yankees cap” (or hat). And, the search results give me that news report because of the “Yankees” reference.

I wonder if this bothers the Yankees in any way? Sure, there’s nothing they can do about it – and it’s not their fault. But, I don’t think anyone wants their “brand” to associated with hoodlums and thugs as much as Yankees hats are, do they…even if they had nothing to do with it?

Comments on Hoods Making Yankees Hat More Famous Than…

1. jay
      July 30th, 2010 | 8:40 am

Steve,

What is exactly is a ‘Hood’?

2. July 30th, 2010 | 8:46 am

jay wrote:

Steve, What is exactly is a ‘Hood’?

“Hood”: an aggressive and violent young criminal. It’s short for “Hoodlum” which refers to a young male thug, ruffian, or misanthrope. Or, a gangster; a hired thug; a rough or violent youth.

3. ct_chris
      July 30th, 2010 | 10:32 am

This blog post struck me and thus I felt I needed I post my thoughts.

1. I am sure the Yankees don’t like having their caps as a logo for criminal activity, but this doesn’t surprise me given that the Yankees account for 25% of MLB merchandise sold (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-forbessteinbrenner071310).

2. You probably tend to watch your local news from NY stations, which would even skew the percentages even greater.

3. I am not sure if this was your intention but in your post you talk about multiple instances where you have seen the Yankee cap associated with criminal activity, but the picture you choose to post consisted of eight African American males. Then you go on to associate this the gangster term, which ultimately has the effect of portraying only African American male Yankee fans as the ones associated with such activities.

4. clintfsu813
      July 30th, 2010 | 11:11 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Looks like Jay was lookin to pick a fight with Steve but was deflected by Steves use of the Dictionary, lol.

5. Corey Italiano
      July 30th, 2010 | 11:14 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

lol agreed.

6. July 30th, 2010 | 11:16 am

Yeah, everyone’s trying to get that third thing to add on to Street and Leonardo da Vinci so that they have have the Rag on Steve Hat Trick. ;-)

7. July 30th, 2010 | 12:33 pm

ct_chris wrote:

This blog post struck me and thus I felt I needed I post my thoughts.

First, thanks for posting. First time posters are always good to see.

Second, on the local news angle, I’m not sure that applies – since, as I said, I see it using Google news, which pulls from everywhere and not just NY/NJ/CT news.

Lastly, saying that posting that picture is my way of “portraying only African American male Yankee fans as” gangsters is a bit of a reach, IMHO. That’s the picture in the ABC report. Blame ABC, not me.

July 30th, 2010 | 12:54 pm