• Yankees Set To Acquire Lance Berkman

Posted by on July 30th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Courtesy of Buster Olney’s tweets we’re hearing the following:

1. The Yanks are just about to land 1B/OF Lance Berkman from the Houston Astros;
    2. Olney is reporting that the Astros will be picking up a lot of money in the trade;
    3. The Yankees will be sending “non-prospects” in return for Berkman; and
    4. The Yanks are working on at least one and possibly two other acquisitions.

Obviously this is all rumor and hearsay at this point and nothing’s done until it’s done.  Personally I don’t understand how Olney’s report that the Yanks would give up non-prospects can be true if the Astros are sending money to New York but, hey, I don’t make the rules.  If Houston GM Ed Wade wants to be daft, that’s on him.

Updates to follow.

Update 8:10 p.m.: Joel Sherman says the trade is official, pending official announcement tomorrow.  The reason for the delay is procedural under the collective bargaining agreement.  Still no word on which players the Yanks would give up.

Update 8:54 p.m.: The latest from Joel Sherman’s Twitter feed is that Houston will send $4M to offset the $7.5M remaining on Berkman’s contract ($5.5M salary/$2M buyout of 2011 team option).  Still not entirely sure how getting Berkman and cash entitles the Yankees to send so-called “non-prospects” but I guess we need to see which prospects get shipped out before we conclude that they truly are non-prospects.

Update 9:11 p.m.: I am not a Joel Sherman fan by any means but I’ll give him credit, his tweets are on top of this Berkman trade.  Sherman is reporting that the Yanks are sending RHP Mark Melancon (AAA-Scranton) and 2B/SS Jimmy Paredes (Low-A Charleston).  OK, I agree, these are non-prospects.  If this report is true, the Yanks did very well here adding a switch hitter with OBP skills and some pop for the DH spot, getting $4M in cash from Houston and giving up guys that didn’t have futures on the team.

Comments on Yankees Set To Acquire Lance Berkman

1. Corey Italiano
      July 30th, 2010 | 7:14 pm

Hmmm..Astros might be sending money? I thought Cashman was bluffing about the budget? :P

2. MJ Recanati
      July 30th, 2010 | 7:24 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      LOL, I have no idea. I can’t see how Houston would send money and still get non-prospects but if they do send money then it blows Joel Sherman’s theory of this morning into the toilet that Houston wouldn’t give NY teams any money.

3. Corey Italiano
      July 30th, 2010 | 7:33 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I assume he means “not Jesus Montero” when he says non prospect. I mean, how much of the org do these guys really know?

4. MJ Recanati
      July 30th, 2010 | 7:43 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I assume he knows the organization well enough considering part of his job is to report on what scouts tell him. Does he know everyone? Doubtful. But I imagine he knows the preseason top-30 prospects plus the up-and-comers.

5. Evan3457
      July 30th, 2010 | 10:19 pm

I can’t complain about this trade at all.

Melancon had regressed; I read Paredes as organization filler and maybe a potential 5th OF pinch runner type in 3 years or so.

Cashman even got money back.

Berkman, while not what he used to be, is a definite upgrade on Miranda.

Good trade, I think, unless the gap in divisions is too much to handle.

6. July 30th, 2010 | 11:55 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Interesting bit from Rosenthal: Yankees effectively paying $8.5M for N. Johnson roster spot – $5.5M for Johnson, $3M for Berkman. Plus $1.1M for since-departed Winn

Eight mill, wasn’t that what Damon wanted?

7. July 31st, 2010 | 12:03 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

Damon settled for a one-year deal wanted a multi-year deal… the decisions that were made were never truly about 2010 in a vacuum.

Johnson, and now these pick ups, give the Yankees some flexibility going forward that a multiyear deal for Damon wouldn’t have.

July 31st, 2010 | 11:28 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Eight mill, wasn’t that what Damon wanted?

That’s what he got. As opposed to the 2/$14 that was on the table. Of course all this depends on who you believe, be it Boras, Damon or Cashman.