• July 31st @ The Rays

Posted by on July 31st, 2010 · Comments (10)

Wow. Half of me wants to dance around, jump up and down, and scream “Huge win!” Yet, the other half of me wants to exhale, long and hard, and let loose with “Holy smokes, that was close!

Why? Well, both statements would be true here, no? The win in this one means a lot to the Yankees. The loss hurts the Rays. And, it was a toe-to-toe, seesaw, blow-for-blow, nail biting, squeaker of a game.

Outstanding job in this one by Logan, Robertson and Rivera. Dare we say Lo-Robe-Mo?

Javy Vazquez? I dunno. I never felt comfortable watching him in this one. And, come post-season time, if he gets a start, I think something like tonight might be his high-mark…six and a third, four runs. (That’s an ERA of 5.69, for those who can’t do the math. And, that’s not good.)

Lastly, what can you say about Robbie Cano? O.K., I’ll say it – he’s been outstanding with the bat this season. At this pace, he’s going to end up with 30 HR and 110 RBI this season – to go along with a batting average of three-thirty. Cano used to be a 40 doubles, 20 homers, three-ten, three-twenty guy. But, now, he’s hitting the ball a lot further and has become a 40 doubles, 30 homers, three-thirty guy. And, he’s probably going to get 50 walks this year – which is 10 to 20 more than he is usually good for…

I really hope this is just the maturation of a gifted hitter at play – rather than a something else behind it…like a Victor Conte/Anthony Galea/Angel Presinal type dude.

Now, before anyone jumps down my throat here…I’m just saying that Cano reminds me of Roy Hobbs or a “Clear & Cream” Barry Bonds the way he’s swinging the bat this season. (Cue Max Mercy: Home runs, triples, singles…Anything he wants to hit, he hits. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s incredible! Anything he wants to do, he does! I mean, how can somebody play that well that came from nowhere?) I’m not saying that Cano is on something. I’m just saying that he’s supernatural now, that’s all.

Now, you can choose to just enjoy the ride. Or, if you’re the suspicious type, then you can keep looking around, waiting, for the other shoe to drop. Me? On stuff like this, I like the samurai warrior approach – “Expect Nothing; Be prepared for anything.”

Come to think of it, maybe that’s what the nation should do with the wait for A-Rod’s 600th now, as well? I was surprised to see in the YES coverage tonight that they said Alex didn’t talk with the media after the game yesterday. Do you think there’s ever been one day in the last fifteen years that Derek Jeter or Mo Rivera has ever skipped out on the media after a game? And, some people want to know why the media is not 100% in Alex’s corner all the time?

Comments on July 31st @ The Rays

1. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2010 | 11:59 pm

Alex talked to them tonight.

And he even made fun of himself. Easier after a win than a loss, I guess.

As for Cano’s power surge, 26-27 is the normal age for this, not 36-37. In addition, he’s more patient, so maybe he’s getting more balls to hit that can be driven.

2. Scout
      August 1st, 2010 | 7:46 am

Extensive drug testing has made it much less likely that players today will cheat, though the system can never be perfect. Offensive numbers are down in many areas, suggesting the impact of the testing across baseball. I agree with Evan that Cano’s numbers are consistent with a player reaching his prime.

3. MJ Recanati
      August 1st, 2010 | 8:54 am

Neither Alex nor any other player is obligated to talk to the media every single night. That he didn’t is hardly worth mentioning. Further, singling him out for not talking to the media is precisely the double-standard people like me talk about. Just another example of a “who gives a crap” moment being magnified into something bigger than it really is.

Cano may be clean or he may be on something. Personally, I don’t care one iota.

Finally, I don’t understand the whole “that was close” sentiment. The Yanks won a close game against a good team. You lament that the Yanks don’t beat good teams often enough to truly be a good team themselves yet when they do, you worry that the margin of victory was too narrow to truly believe the Yanks won rather than having dodged a bullet. The night before, the Rays won by one. If the Yanks aren’t a good team in your eyes, what does that make the Rays if they only beat the Yanks by one on Friday night? How embarrassing it must be for Tampa to only win by one against such a flawed team, right?

4. August 1st, 2010 | 9:33 am

Scout wrote:

MLB is not currently testing for HGH use.

5. August 1st, 2010 | 9:35 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Bull. On any regular night, maybe. But, this is during his chase for 600 and on a night where they were playing a huge game against the only team in the DIV with a chance to beat them. You have to make yourself available for the media on a night like this – esp. because of the chase for 600.

6. redbug
      August 1st, 2010 | 10:35 am

I’m no fan of Arod’s but they didn’t get in until 4 am. I’m sure he was was tired. Can’t blame him him for just wanting to go home.

7. SCC Yankee
      August 1st, 2010 | 10:42 am

Steve, get the hell off of A-Rod!

Prima donna , diva YES for sure but you obviously didn’t see his post game comments. Praised Cano and belittled himself, with a smile and a hint of humility. You are coming off as just a bit short of a tirade without justification! Time to backtrack and offer all of us ( not to mention AROD) an apology. You put yourself “out there” so you should expect to be thrown at!

August 1st, 2010 | 10:47 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

If that’s all it takes, then they’re more fickle than I thought.

9. ken
      August 1st, 2010 | 10:53 am

Great quote from Dave Robertson on the Lohud blog:

Robertson on why he’s been so much better lately: “I haven’t been sucking, that’s the difference. When you suck, you get hit.”

10. Scout
      August 1st, 2010 | 11:44 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      “MLB is not currently testing for HGH use.” Quite true, but HGH is used to help players heal from injuries. It doesn’t have the same performance impact as steroids. If HGH worked the same way, we would not be witnessing the significant fall-off in offense evident this year.