• Yankees Acquire Kerry Wood

Posted by on July 31st, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via the AP -

The New York Yankees acquired pitcher Kerry Wood from the Cleveland Indians on Saturday, the third deal in less than 24 hours for the World Series champions as they beefed up for the stretch run.

Wood, a hard-throwing, 33-year-old righty, gives the Yankees another setup option alongside Joba Chamberlain for closer Mariano Rivera.

The Yankees sent Cleveland a player to be named or $500,000, and the Indians gave New York $2,172,131. New York will pay $1.5 million of the $3,672,131 remaining on Wood’s $10.5 million salary this year. His contract includes an $11 million team option for 2011.

Oh, this has got Jay Witasick, Gabe White, Felix Heredia and Mark Wohlers written all over it…

On the bright side, as a result of this pick-up, the Yankees have designated Chan Ho Park for assignment.

Comments on Yankees Acquire Kerry Wood

1. Evan3457
      July 31st, 2010 | 6:14 pm

Maybe.

I view it as a low cost, low/medium probability gamble.

There’s supposedly a sliding scale in place based on how many games/how well Wood pitches. The Indians are even eating about half his remaining money.

And if he stinks, they don’t have to use him.

2. July 31st, 2010 | 6:40 pm

He can’t be any worse than Chan (Oh No) Park. That Cliff Lee deal was so close and to me would have locked up a second championship, it still bothers me.

3. 77yankees
      July 31st, 2010 | 6:58 pm

Steve, Steve, Steve, we’re very disappointed in you.

This dreadful pickup was ripe for the headline, “Brian Cashman Gets Wood.”

Then even Steve Phillips would be envious of Cashman.

4. KPOcala
      July 31st, 2010 | 11:03 pm

Big “if”, but if healthy I don’t see Wood wilting from the spotlight like Jay Witasick, et al…Cashman just might catch lightning in a bottle.

5. July 31st, 2010 | 11:40 pm

@ 77yankees:
      LOL – I was having browser issues when I posted this one. Totally took away my sense of humor, at the moment, I suppose.

Anyway, that’s my defense! ;-)

6. MJ Recanati
      August 1st, 2010 | 8:43 am

Pros: The Indians gave him away so he costs the Yankees nothing; He still strikes out batters at a very healthy rate.

Cons: He stinks.

I can’t be too upset with this trade simply because he cost so little to acquire that it’s possible Wood has a few decent moments in pinstripes. If he doesn’t, well, he can’t be any worse than Park or #62 so it’s merely a lateral move from one piece of crap to another.

But realistically, yeah, there’s no way Wood does anything good here. He’s just #62 10 years later.

I guess that’s the upside here? #62 can talk to his future self when he’s older, just as irritatingly arrogant and worthless and find out what it’s like to go from stud to journeyman waste of time.

7. redbug
      August 1st, 2010 | 10:38 am

At least Nick Johnson will have company on the perennial DL.

8. MJ Recanati