• Is A-Rod Losing It?

Posted by on August 2nd, 2010 · Comments (12)

Frankie Piliere thinks that:

…the reality is that it’s increasingly likely that we’ve seen the last of Alex Rodriguez as a dominant offensive force. The hitter he is now is far from washed up, but at his age, and with his lower half seeming to fail him at least in comparison to how it once helped him, you have to begin to wonder if those power numbers will ever fully return.

Click here to see all of what Piliere has to say on this matter.

Of course, if A-Rod hits four homeruns in tonight’s game, this will probably change how some feel about this topic…

Comments on Is A-Rod Losing It?

1. YankCrank
      August 2nd, 2010 | 6:29 pm

I guess only a story depicting A-Rod as washed up or a cheat can make you want to blog today…

2. August 2nd, 2010 | 9:11 pm

I figured an 18-hour period of silence was respectful enough for The Captain. And, if you have an issue with what was written, talk to the author, Frankie, not me.

3. Scout
      August 3rd, 2010 | 8:03 am

As to the point of the post, it is a reminder of just how god-awful the contract Hank Steinbrenner negotiated with A-Rod was. I believe A-Rod has a couple of very useful years left at 3B and likely another couple as a DH, but there will be several years at the end when the Yankees will pay a lot for a guy who will take up roster space and contribute little.

4. MJ Recanati
      August 3rd, 2010 | 8:24 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Kinda like Torre hiding behind Tom Verducci.

Take ownership of what you post here, Steve. There’s nothing wrong with taking a position or saying that you agree with what is written. It’s a cop-out to come back to blogging on “Thurman Munson Day” only to post a story about A-Rod and then hide behind the story’s author when someone makes a comment about it.

5. Jake1
      August 3rd, 2010 | 9:31 am

How we forget what he did in October. I guess it was just too long for some people.

6. Jim TreshFan
      August 3rd, 2010 | 9:31 am

I’m not commenting here much these days, but I feel I need to call your attention to a few facts about A-Rod’s production lately:

1.) He is batting .238 since June 1st, a span that covers over 200 PA’s.

2.) His numbers since the All Star break are .250/.297/.426.

3.) He is 3 for 30 (.100) over his last 8 games.

The question as to whether A-Rod is losing it seems pertinent to me, at least.

Now does anyone want to bring up Derek Jeter’s name in the discussion?@ MJ Recanati:

7. MJ Recanati
      August 3rd, 2010 | 9:53 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      Not sure I get your drift here but it’s worth noting that you just brought up Derek Jeter, not me.

8. MJ Recanati
      August 3rd, 2010 | 9:56 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      FWIW, the stats you cited tell a pretty significant story.

It’s hard to divine A-Rod as being “washed up” or “losing it” based on those stats alone but it’s certainly fair to say that he’s mired in a slump that has persisted all season. We’d have to wait until next year to see if 2010 was an aberration or the start of a true decline.

9. August 3rd, 2010 | 9:57 am

Jake1 wrote:

Hideki Matsui was the 2010 World Series MVP. If he was on the Yankees this year and struggling, way under his normal standards, and was under contract to be paid something like $30 million a year until 2017, would you give him a buddy pass because of his WS performance?

10. MJ Recanati
      August 3rd, 2010 | 10:03 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Absolutely no buddy passes should be given to those that don’t perform. It’s why I’m so hard on Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada all the time. They’re making a lot and producing very little.

But, just to be factual:

2010: $32M
      2011: $31M
      2012: $29M
      2013: $28M
      2014: $25M
      2015: $21M
      2016: $20M
      2017: $20M

AAV 2011-2017: $24.85M

Not good. But better than $30M/year.

11. August 3rd, 2010 | 10:08 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Kinda like Torre hiding behind Tom Verducci.

Dude – not even close. Torre co-authored a book that was “his story” with Verducci. I linked to a story that Frankie Piliere wrote and then am getting complaints that I posted the link on a day that I mostly took off because I was in a blue mood over the anny of Munson’s death.

For the record, the Piliere featore has been linked to at other Yankees-blog, so, I thought it was something note-worthy and decided to share it here too, in case anyone missed it.

Or, is it just OK to link to Frankie Piliere when he’s raving about Yankees prospects and not OK to link to him when he’s suggesting that a Yankees-god, at least to some, is losing his game?

12. MJ Recanati
      August 3rd, 2010 | 10:13 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No, all articles should be linked to at all times.

The point is, you made a big deal about taking the day off from blogging but then came back to post a story about one of your least-favorite players. Then, when someone raised the point, you told that person to take it up with the original author of the story.

Piliere wrote the story but you excercised editorial control over the choice to publish it here. By saying “hey, don’t blame me, I didn’t write it” is a facile escape from your own responsibility. No one’s saying that you were wrong to post it, merely that you should take ownership of your decisions.

Whatever, I don’t really give a shit about this. You see it your way and I see it mine.