• Finally, #600!

Posted by on August 4th, 2010 · Comments (17)

A-Rod goes yard in today’s game – bottom of the first.

Comments on Finally, #600!

August 4th, 2010 | 1:30 pm

Legit shot, CF. No hoopla about some fan getting the ball, as it was retrieved by a stadium employee.

2. YankCrank
      August 4th, 2010 | 1:31 pm

Another 2-run HR in the first. Another Yankee loss?

3. August 4th, 2010 | 1:33 pm

Raf wrote:

Legit shot.

Off an 85 MPH fastball? On a 2-0 count? Sounds like a cookie to me.

August 4th, 2010 | 1:49 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Raf wrote:
      Legit shot.
      Off an 85 MPH fastball? On a 2-0 count? Sounds like a cookie to me.

I was referring to the shot to dead CF. Regardless of the pitch and count, I’m sure Rodriguez has faced 85mph fastballs over the past two weeks, and he has had 2-0 counts before, and not done anything with it.

Relax and enjoy the moment, there will be plenty of other opportunities to come after Rodriguez.

5. PocketAces
      August 4th, 2010 | 1:54 pm

Nicely put. I guess the only home runs that count are on 0-2 counts thrown when the Yankees are behind by first ballot future hall of famers.@ Raf:

6. PocketAces
      August 4th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

I was attempting to agree with Raf in the above message…..sorry

7. MJ Recanati
      August 4th, 2010 | 1:58 pm

Raf wrote:

Well put.

8. August 4th, 2010 | 2:01 pm

FWIW, I’m not trying to discount the HR.

Just saying that hitting one in the bottom of the 9th, down by two, with a runner on, with two outs and an 0-2 count against Mo Rivera and hitting one in the first inning, no score, on an 85 MPH fastball, on a 2-0 count, against Shawn Marcum, are two different kinds homers.

The former is more “legit” (to use Raf’s label) than the latter, IMHO. But, yes, without question, they’re both homers.

August 4th, 2010 | 2:05 pm

Again, I was referring to the distance. A no doubt shot to CF as opposed to a fly ball sneaking into the 1st row in the LF corner.

10. August 4th, 2010 | 2:06 pm

Raf wrote:

Relax and enjoy the moment.

Actually, the mad scientist in me was hoping to see him go another two weeks without hitting it just to see how he dealt with the matter. ;-)

11. August 4th, 2010 | 2:07 pm

Raf wrote:

Fair point.

12. MJ Recanati
      August 4th, 2010 | 2:07 pm

Raf wrote:

I know what you meant and I think Steve did too. I think he’s just pushing buttons.

13. MJ Recanati
      August 4th, 2010 | 2:09 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

But if we are to believe that not hitting magic #600 was causing the Yanks to lose games, lose focus and slide from first place, why would you hope for that?

A productive A-Rod is better for the team and its fans (rational ones, anyway) than an unproductive A-Rod.

14. Garcia
      August 4th, 2010 | 2:12 pm

Yeah, I agree with the overall sentiment: at this point, who cares about when the HR was hit, the speed, inning, etc? It put the Yankees ahead on the scoreboard, A-Rod got his #600, let’s just move on to winning. Steve, can’t you just say congrats and keep it moving?

Not everything needs to be dissected, at some point even an onion runs out of layers.

15. Corey Italiano
      August 4th, 2010 | 2:21 pm

Damn 1 at bat off from seeing it

16. August 4th, 2010 | 5:02 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

“FWIW, I’m not trying to discount the HR.”

Really? You already discounted it because of the speed. Because of the time in the game. And because of the pitcher. And you even wished that A-Rod could have gone another two weeks without hitting it.

In what way are you counting it?

17. redbug
      August 4th, 2010 | 6:19 pm

Okay he finally hit 600. Can we move on now?