• Where’s Joey Salvia When You Need Him?

Posted by on August 11th, 2010 · Comments (20)

I remember all my life.
    Damon’s slam put the game on ice.

I kicked the trash can,
    A fist through a window,
    Curse died that night,
    The night goes into,

Six years, later, now today.

He’s back, hell, oh,
    no way.

Tears in my eyes.
    What a bad memory.
    Now we all realize
    Just how crappy you can be,
    oh Javy.

Well, you’re back
    and your pitchin’ still crappy
    Wanna send you away, oh
    Javy.

Well you kill me and
    make me swear like Satan
    and you still suck today, Oh,
    Javy.

Comments on Where’s Joey Salvia When You Need Him?

1. Evan3457
      August 12th, 2010 | 12:35 am

A valid grievance. Javy was very bad tonight.

Betcha you’re feeling a little better about things right now, though, hunh?

August 12th, 2010 | 12:39 am

Not a bad little ditty there, I must say

3. PhilYagoda
      August 12th, 2010 | 12:45 am

The Yanks with a big comeback win and, low and behold, Lombardi’s complaining about a mediocre start and bringing up 2004 as if we’re supposed to still care. What a surprise.

4. Evan3457
      August 12th, 2010 | 1:35 am

PhilYagoda wrote:

To be fair, he probably posted that long before the Yanks came back to win.

For all I know, he might’ve gone to bed in the 7th with the Yanks still down by foour.

5. Scout
      August 12th, 2010 | 4:53 am

Fast forward in time to 2014: Cashman re-signs Javy Vazquez to a one-year, incentive-laden deal to compete for the fifth starter role. At the press conference, the Yankee GM says, “He was pitching well the last time he was here in 2010, but came down with a sore shoulder in late July and made the mistake of trying to pitch through it. As we saw last year when he pitched in Atlanta, he’s still a solid pitcher when healthy.” Cashman declines to address rumors that he is negotiating with Nick Johnson to return as Yankee DH….

6. YankCrank
      August 12th, 2010 | 9:09 am

Lol not a bad song there.

Javy put together another shit effort last night. Safe to say, unless he turns it around, we won;t be seeing him in the playoff rotation.

7. August 12th, 2010 | 9:24 am

This is funny! Linked to it in my blog this morning.

8. August 12th, 2010 | 9:28 am

PhilYagoda wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

To be fair, he probably posted that long before the Yanks came back to win.

That is correct.

@ PhilYagoda: This one is for you:

9. August 12th, 2010 | 9:29 am

@ lisaswan:
      @ YankCrank:
      @ Raf:

Thanks!

@ Scout: LOL!

10. ken
      August 12th, 2010 | 9:30 am

No more illusions about Javy. He’s a guy with enough stuff to play in the major leagues, do well against lower 2/3 of the league lineups, and he can fill out the back of rotation on a good team. Every now and then he may pitch a gem, perhaps in a big game. But you can’t count on it.

11. MJ Recanati
      August 12th, 2010 | 9:52 am

ken wrote:

In other words, he’s your typical fourth starter. And guess what? He’s filling that exact role on the 2010 Yankees. What are people so up in arms about? The Yanks traded for a guy to fill the #4 spot in their rotation and that’s exactly what they’ve gotten. Some good starts, some bad starts, some in between.

12. clintfsu813
      August 12th, 2010 | 11:15 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Because hes on the Yankees and he supposed to win everygame!!!!!!!

13. MJ Recanati
      August 12th, 2010 | 11:52 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Because hes on the Yankees and he supposed to win everygame!!!!!!!

Good point. The Yanks are supposed to go 160-2 every year, with the only two losses being Rivera’s traditional blown saves in April and August.

14. August 12th, 2010 | 12:22 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I think it has to do with his salary and the package that they gave up to acquire him (useful 4th OF, LOOGY and a prized pitching prospect).

Related, I think that most would be happy with
      a 4th SP with “enough stuff to play in the major leagues, do well against lower 2/3 of the league lineups, and he can fill out the back of rotation on a good team. Every now and then he may pitch a gem, perhaps in a big game. But you can’t count on it” if he was a product of the farm system or a some roster pick up where he was being paid close to the league minimum and didn’t cost you players to get.

But, that’s just my thought and maybe I’m wrong with why some feel the way they do about him?

Me? I just hate the guy from 2004 – thought he was weak ever since then – and this season hasn’t changed my mind. He’s not a winner.

15. clintfsu813
      August 12th, 2010 | 12:36 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I’m back and forth. I was willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and hope for a good year. And he mostly has delivered a quality 4th starter type of year. It does kill me though that he cant come through in a “Big” game. I was satisfied with the game vs SEA/Lee earlier but the games vs BOS and TEX recently were needed wins and he faltered.

16. MJ Recanati
      August 12th, 2010 | 12:48 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I think it has to do with his salary

For one year and $11.5M, I don’t see the big deal. Further, it’s silly to use a salary to slot your rotation. He’s being paid like a #4 starter on OUR team, that’s all that matters.

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I think it has to do with…the package that they gave up to acquire him (useful 4th OF, LOOGY and a prized pitching prospect).

Useful 4th OF is sucking it up royally in Atlanta, far, far worse than the maligned Curtis Granderson is doing in NY. No loss there. LOOGY that has pitched 6.2 IP in the big leagues this year. Pitching prospect that, despite the undeniable talent and surrounding hype, is still a full three seasons away from the big leagues.

We’re lamenting the loss of Melky Cabrera, Mike Dunn and Arodys Vizcaino? Really? The team really misses Cabrera and Dunn that much?

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Related, I think that most would be happy with a 4th SP with “enough stuff to play in the major leagues…” if he was a product of the farm system or a some roster pick up where he was being paid close to the league minimum and didn’t cost you players to get.

How one acquires a #4 starter should be irrelevant. The Yankees #4 starters in other years have been acquired via trade, free agency, developed through the system or signed via waivers. There is no “right” way to add a #4 starter and the salary, again, is on a one-year basis with absolutely no future risk to the team. As far as the players involved in his acquisition, as I wrote above, hardly any loss to the franchise.

Steve Lombardi wrote:

The crux of the argument. You hate the guy for your own reasons. His competence, role on the team or cost of acquisition are thus not even worth debating since you simply concede that your feelings are colored almost exclusively by events that took place six years ago.

17. MJ Recanati
      August 12th, 2010 | 12:52 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

It does kill me though that he cant come through in a “Big” game.

Yesterday was a “big” game? That’s news to me. Vazquez pitched poorly and there’s no arguing otherwise. But I can’t for the life of me see why last night is evidence that he’s not a so-called big game pitcher. Plenty of the so-called big game pitchers have stunk it up royally in big games too. There’s no good time to pitch poorly…

18. Corey Italiano
      August 12th, 2010 | 1:40 pm

I think Logan and Dunn are a wash, so we can leave the LOOGY stuff out of this convo

19. August 12th, 2010 | 1:47 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

To be fair, MJ, I think the only people who considered last night a “big” game was overreacting Yankees who see Boston putting in a hot streak and the Rays only a half-a-game back and thought the last two losses were the demise of the entire Yankee team. *face palm*

Either way, it was a good win and puts the Rays, yet again, 1 and a half games behind.

20. clintfsu813
      August 12th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Let me rephrase “Big.” It was a game in Texas against one of the best teams in baseball against one of the best pitchers. It was one I was hoping he’d come out and pitch solid in. It was “Big” for him in that regard.
      Brent wrote:

I’m gonna assume this was not directed at me, because I am definitely not an overreacter like much of the Yankee Universe. I thought this game and the recent Boston start was Big for Javy and was merely disappointed in his performance. I’m not worried about our current place in the standings, I still think when the smoke clears we’ll be AL East Champs.