• August 12th @ The Royals

Posted by on August 13th, 2010 · Comments (6)

Sabathia said he likes to pitch in the heat. It showed last night as he was hitting 99 on the radar gun. The big man was wonderful through 8 innings then gave up a couple of singles and was taken out after 8 and 2/3rds of solid pitching. Robertson almost spit the bit, as when he came in he allowed a double upon coming in which allowed Sabathia’s two runners to score. He did not get the job done last night, and I think I personally would have let Sabathia try to finish it out. I know it was hot, be he was one out away and had only 110 pitches (which isn’t quite Sabathia’s limit).

They talked a lot about Granderson’s new swing, but I really didn’t see that big of a difference (certainly not the same amount of change as say Swisher’s new swing). Regardless, Granderson got 2 hits last night so if he wants to chalk it up to a new stance that’s fine with me.

Speaking of Swisher, he continued his quest for a .300 season last night with 3 hits. I think he’s found a home in the 2 hole of this lineup. To think, this guy was on the bench in the beginning of last year.

Don’t look now but our washed up short stop is 33 for his last 102 with 8 XBH and and 8 multi-hit games (all while getting on base at a .378 clip). Man he stinks, bring up Nunez already.

Comments on August 12th @ The Royals

1. MJ Recanati
      August 13th, 2010 | 9:59 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

It’s actually 11 multi-hit games, not eight during that 102 AB stretch (7/18/10-8/12/10) and it’s translated to .324/.378/.431 over those 24 games.

He’s picking up for Brett Gardner who has gone .172/.274/.234 over that same stretch. In other words, Jeter’s recent hot streak couldn’t have come at a better time.

2. MJ Recanati
      August 13th, 2010 | 10:02 am

@Corey Italiano:
      It’s funny how perspective can be different while looking at the same thing. Sabathia was hitting 97 in the top of the 9th but I wouldn’t call him “wonderful” last night. He pitched well but gave up plenty of hard-hit balls, some of which found gaps and some of which were reeled in by Curtis Granderson and Nick Swisher. 12 baserunners allowed isn’t exactly “wonderful.”

Don’t misunderstand me; Sabathia pitched pretty well last night and I’ll take last night’s start every time. But I’ve seen “wonderful” from him plenty of times and last night wasn’t my definition of the word.

3. Corey Italiano
      August 13th, 2010 | 11:12 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

12 baserunners allowed isn’t exactly “wonderful.”

Perhaps after years of Jaret Wrights and Carl Pavanos, my definition of wonderful has changed. But scattering 8 hits and getting big time double plays through the first 8 is wonderful to me.

4. Corey Italiano
      August 13th, 2010 | 11:13 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

My fault, I read the runs column in B-R’s game log by mistake.

August 13th, 2010 | 11:54 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Carl Pavanos

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

6. MJ Recanati
      August 13th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

My fault, I read the runs column in B-R’s game log by mistake.

It’s like the Community Chest (or Chance?) card says in Monopoly: “Bank Error in your favor, collect $45″

11 mutli-hit games out of 24 ain’t bad.