• August 15th @ The Royals

    Posted by on August 15th, 2010 · Comments (10)

    Sub-headline: Yanks Lose 1-0, On The Road In Non-Extras, For 1st Time Since 4/27/02

    Yup, according to my calculations, today’s 1-0 loss to the Royals was the first time the Yankees lost a road game of 9-innings or less by that score (1-zip) since April 27, 2002.

    That’s a long time, right?

    Comments on August 15th @ The Royals

    1. YankCrank
      August 15th, 2010 | 8:40 pm

      Splitting a four-game series against the Royals is completely unacceptable.

    2. August 15th, 2010 | 8:54 pm
    3. August 15th, 2010 | 8:58 pm

      YankCrank wrote:

      Splitting a four-game series against the Royals is completely unacceptable.

      Worse than being 14-12 in their last 26 games?

    4. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2010 | 9:34 pm

      YankCrank wrote:

      Splitting a four-game series against the Royals is completely unacceptable.

      Then the Rays and Red Sox are unacceptable as well, because they also split 4-games series in KC back in May.

    5. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2010 | 9:48 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      YankCrank wrote:
      Splitting a four-game series against the Royals is completely unacceptable.
      Worse than being 14-12 in their last 26 games?

      Why is going 14-12 over 26 games unacceptable?

      I doubt you can’t find a stretch as bad or worse in most recent title-winning teams, many of them in the 2nd half.

      Oh, hell, I’ll check it myself…

      2009: Yanks went 13-15 in 28 games early in the season, and 14-15 between late May and late June.

      2008: Phils went 13-13 from late April to late May, 10-17 from early Jone to early July, and 15-14 from early July to mid-August.

      2007: Red Sox went 14-16 for the month of June plus July 1st; then had a 12-12 stretch in August.

      2006: Cards went 14-23 from late May through early July; then went 11-17 in their last 28 and nearly blew a 7 game lead in the NL Central.

      2005: White Sox went 12-17 from mid-July through mid-August, then went 15-16 from early September through the end of the season.

      ================================

      Which is not to say that this proves the Yanks are title-bound, only that a prolonged stretch of mediocre play is not disqualifying, just about every title winner has one, even those that got there via the Wild Card, like the 2007 Sox.

    6. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2010 | 9:49 pm

      Oops ,sorry, meant the 2004 Sox, who went 13-19 from late May through early July.

    7. YankCrank
      August 15th, 2010 | 10:53 pm

      @ Evan3457:

      It’s unacceptable in the sense that we dodged Grienke, and this Royals team was gutted of most of their productive players recently due to trades or injuries ( Dejesus, Guillen, Podesednik, etc.)

      I understand the team has been playing mediocre lately, and it’s easier to swallow that when you lose or split a couple series against the Rays, Rangers and Red Sox. But splitting against the Royals, a team that has Wilson Betemit as their cleanup hitter…that’s garbage.

    8. Evan3457
      August 16th, 2010 | 1:05 am

      YankCrank wrote:

      @ Evan3457:
      It’s unacceptable in the sense that we dodged Grienke, and this Royals team was gutted of most of their productive players recently due to trades or injuries ( Dejesus, Guillen, Podesednik, etc.)
      I understand the team has been playing mediocre lately, and it’s easier to swallow that when you lose or split a couple series against the Rays, Rangers and Red Sox. But splitting against the Royals, a team that has Wilson Betemit as their cleanup hitter…that’s garbage.

      Both the Rays and Red Sox beat Greinke 1-0 in their series (Buchholz for the Sox; Greinke for the Rays), which means both lost 2 of the other 3.

      And my mistake, the Rays and Sox split with the Royals while playing at home, not in KC. The Royals were already 8-13 and 6 games out when the series in Tampa started, and they were already 19-28 and 7.5 games out when the series in Boston happened.

      I guess what I’m trying to say is: the Royals have been a bad team all year long, and spit happens.

    9. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2010 | 8:20 am

      Evan3457 wrote:

      I guess what I’m trying to say is: the Royals have been a bad team all year long, and spit happens.

      I agree with that. What I don’t agree with is being two-hit and being shut out. THAT’S unacceptable. The losing part sucks but being two-hit by a terrible team cannot be justified or rationalized.

    10. August 16th, 2010 | 9:57 am

      Games against the Royals, Indians and Orioles don’t count in the overall standings, so I’m not concerned.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.