• August 19th Vs. The Tigers

Posted by on August 19th, 2010 · Comments (16)

Well, obviously I didn’t get a chance to see this one as I was at work. I actually wanted to ask a question to you, the reader. Since many of us work during the day and there’s rarely an opportunity to watch a weekday game on TV, would you guys prefer an open thread while the game goes on? Leave feedback in the comments.

Anyway, the Yanks blew this one open in the 6th putting up a 9 spot highlighted by a Cano homer. That would be his 3rd straight game with a homer to go along with a single and double.

Hughes had a pretty decent pitching line, surrendering 0 walks and only 2 runs on 4 hits. By the way, his last 34 and 2/3 inning pitched have been pretty decent (3.63 ERA 23-6 K/BB).

I can only pray that Jesus Montero ends up having something close to Miguel Cabrera’s hitting prowess (they’ve been comped in the past), cause Cabrera is an absolute beast at the dish. That would be his 5th homer in his last 5 games.

Comments on August 19th Vs. The Tigers

1. clintfsu813
      August 20th, 2010 | 6:43 am

I like the open thread idea.

Was really proud of the guys offense wise. Even when they were up by 5+ they were still being patient and getting walks/driving up pitchcounts. On a final note…Valverde is a douche. That is all.

2. clintfsu813
      August 20th, 2010 | 7:34 am

Can someone explain why Mitre got a save?

3. Corey Italiano
      August 20th, 2010 | 8:24 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Can someone explain why Mitre got a save?

If a reliever comes in when his team has the lead and he does not relinquish the lead, and pitches 3 innings he gets a save regardless of the score.

4. Corey Italiano
      August 20th, 2010 | 8:24 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      And he finishes the game, obviosuly

5. clintfsu813
      August 20th, 2010 | 8:33 am

Got it..thanks!

6. Jim TreshFan
      August 20th, 2010 | 9:22 am

I thought the rule stipulated that the pitcher must pitch “effectively” for 3 innings regardless the score. That makes it a little more subjective, I suppose. But if that’s the case, then I can’t see Mitre getting the save—3 runs on 6 hits and a walk in 3 innings isn’t all that “effective” if you ask me.

BTW, I did watch the game and I am getting quite tired of Kay and O’Neill blabbing about everything but the action in front of them during their broadcasts. It’s unprofessional. I watch other broadcasts on MLBTV and I don’t find other commentators doing that. Even Rizzuto didn’t “chat” as much as these two do. They even made a point of showing that O’Neill doesn’t even keep score during the game.

7. Scout
      August 20th, 2010 | 9:23 am

If before the season you told me that Hughes would record 15 wins and a sub-4.00 ERA, I would have signed on for that, no questions asked. Despite the usual bumps you would expect for a young pitcher in his first full season as a starter, he has given the Yankees all they could have asked for. I’m not prepared to speculate on his ultimate ceiling, but I’m very pleased with his body of work this year.

8. Corey Italiano
      August 20th, 2010 | 9:25 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

From Wikipedia:

A save is a statistic credited to a relief pitcher, as set forth in Rule 10.19 of the Official Rules of Major League Baseball. That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions[2]:

1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
      2. He is not the winning pitcher;
      3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
      4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
      1. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
      2. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
      3. He pitches for at least three innings

9. clintfsu813
      August 20th, 2010 | 9:25 am

@ Scout:
      Im with you there.

@ Jim TreshFan:
      I gotta disagree with you there. Just my preference, but I rather enjoy the silly banter between Paulie and Kay. I watched the Angels/Sox game last night and the Angels guy was VERY by the book, play by play. It was boring. Its the same with Scully. I respect the history, but noting every ball or strike and everytime a batter steps out is a snoozefest.

10. Corey Italiano
      August 20th, 2010 | 9:26 am

Scout wrote:

Agreed.

I’ll readily admit that I thought he was going to get shelled all year in April. Glad I was wrong.

11. Jim TreshFan
      August 20th, 2010 | 10:16 am

@ Corey Italiano:

Here’s the official save rule (among others) from MLB.com:

As you can see, it clearly states that the reliever must pitch “effectively” for three innings. Again, it’s a judgement call on just what an “effective” outing might be. The official scorer apparently thought that 3 runs on 6 hits and a walk over 3 innings was “effective.” I didn’t.

12. Rich M
      August 20th, 2010 | 11:31 am

@ Jim TreshFan:
      I agree on Kay and O’Neill. While banter is ok, doing it over the game action is uncalled for. The other night when Leyland is going ape shit with the umps, the on field mikes are picking up what his side of the story is, but Paulie and Kay are talking about NYY Steak, and only come back to the action with “We can only imagine what Leylands argument is with the umps”. Well if they shut the hell up we would have heard his argument with the ump.
      Rizzuto was the best at going from game action to stories and back again. He never let a story get in the way of a game, or a game get in the way of a story. I think it also helped that he had someone like White and Murcer to keep him on track.

13. Corey Italiano
      August 20th, 2010 | 11:36 am

Rich M wrote:

Rizzuto was the best

Could have just left it there ;)

14. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com
      August 20th, 2010 | 12:48 pm

As one of the retired guys, the ability to watch the games no matter what the starting or finish times is pure heaven!!! I also record and save a lot of wins, especially milestones, to rewatch during the Winter. As far as blogging I’m usually logged on elsewhere.

15. Evan3457
      August 20th, 2010 | 2:38 pm

Jim TreshFan wrote:

1. In another web page from MLB.com which is part of the official rules section, the “pitching effectively” requirement for a 3-inning is not there:

That’s the “official” scoring rule for the save, Rule 10.19 (d)(3). What you’re quoting above is an unofficial summary/commentary on the rules, elsewhere on the site.

2. In the context of the rule, Mitre DID pitch effectively for the three innings. 3 runs in 3 innings when you enter with a 9 run lead and close the game with a 6 run lead is entirely acceptable for a save (by past practice). Whether you think that’s just or accurate is up to you.

3. The pitch “effectively” is part of official scoring rule in the awarding of a win to a reliever:

Note 10.17 (b)(2) and 10.17 (c) and the official “comments” associated with those two sections.

====================================

In the last 50 seasons, there have been:

45 saves of exactly 3 runs in 3 innings, of which in 36 all 3 runs were earned. Among Yankees’ pitchers, Gil Patterson had one in 1977, Ron Davis had one in 1980 and Sparky Lyle had one in 1972.

8 saves of exactly 4 runs in 3 innings. No Yankee has ever had one of these, but the Yanks had one against them, by Marcus Gwyn of the Angels in 2007. Of these, in 5 of the 8, all 4 runs were earned.

1 save of exactly 5 runs in 3 innings, by Rawly Eastwick with the Phillies in 1979. 4 of the runs were earned.

…and the big winner…

Dave Goltz of the Twins got a save on June 6, 1973, for the following pitching line:

3 IP, 13 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, and 4, (count ‘em 4), home runs.

I remember that game only because the save was a relatively new statistic, and the old-line sportswriters jeered Goltz getting a save for such a horrendous outing. The only reason that they didn’t call for the abolishment of the save stat altogether was that it had been invented by one of their number, Jerome Holtzman in 1959, and had finally been officially adopted in 1969.

Goltz entered with a 9-1 lead in the bottom of the 7th and gave up a 2-run HR to ex-Yankee Rusty Torres that inning to make it 9-3. The Twins got 4 in their half of the 8th to make it 13-3. Torres got a 2-run single in the bottom of the 8th to make it 13-5.

After a scoreless top of the 9th, Goltz, obviously running out of gas, gave up a double, and then a 2-run HR to Jack Brohamer, followed by a back-to-back shot to future Yankee Oscar Gamble, and after a groundout, gave up his 3rd HR of the 9th to ex-Yank Charlie Spikes. The score was then 13-9. Goltz got the 2nd out on a grounder, then gave up two singles to future Yank Chris Chambliss and Torres, yet again (3 AB and 3 hits in 3 innings). Finally, George got a young George Hendrick to ground to short to end the game.

Result: Save for Goltz, his only save in 1973, and one of only eight he got in his career.

16. Jim TreshFan
      August 20th, 2010 | 5:46 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Well sir, I will take it as you put it.

But what interests me is how often the save rule has been changed over the past 40 years and how managers have manipulated their bullpens accordingly. Check out the game played by the Yankees against the Tigers on May 29th, 1972 and see how Houk used Lyle to get a save—which wouldn’t be a save situation today. OH! Better yet! Check out the box score to a game played on May 26th, 1974 at Shea Stadium against the Orioles. I remember that game for sure. The official scorer was Dick Young of the Daily News (need I say any more?) In any case I look forward to how the save rule will change over the coming years and how managers will adapt their bullpens due to those rule changes.