• BBA Callis: Yanks Farm In Top Ten

    Posted by on August 25th, 2010 · Comments (18)

    Via a chat today at Baseball America Executive Editor Jim Callis:

    Nick (Connecticut): Is the Yankees farm system in the top 15?

    Jim Callis: Yes. It takes a lot of time to break down all the systems and rank them against each other, but I’m confident enough to say the Yankees should rank in the top 10.

    Yikes, what does that say about the 20 teams who are below them?

    O.K., seriously, it’s a nice comment to hear, if you’re a Yankees fan. Not sure I agree with it…but it is nice to hear…

    Comments on BBA Callis: Yanks Farm In Top Ten

    1. jay
      August 25th, 2010 | 6:04 pm

      Yikes, what does that say about the 20 teams who are below them?

      Hilarious. What are you like at birthday parties? Or Christmas?

      You know what, to save us a long thread, what you’re missing here is that YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE YANKEES FARM SYSTEM.

    2. August 25th, 2010 | 6:14 pm

      @ jay:

      I won’t say that I’m wrong – or that you are – or that Jim is, etc.

      Rather, I would say we have different opinions on what a strong farm system is.

      For me, a strong farm system is one that has quality/desired prospects at the higher levels – meaning AAA and AA – who are producing, and, having them spread across both pitchers and position players.

      Anyone below AA, to me, again, IMHO, is always more suspect than prospect because they’re light years away from playing at a major league level. And, I don’t believe – again, just IMHO – that having a bunch of RHP as prospects makes you have a strong farm system…because there’s so many things that can go wrong with pitchers.

      But, that’s me. Your mileage may vary.

    3. Raf
      August 25th, 2010 | 7:43 pm

      Also should note that even if the organization should be ranked in the top 10, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the organization would be ranked in the top 10.

    4. Jake1
      August 26th, 2010 | 2:29 pm

      The system is devoid of any positional talent save one or 2 catchers. Im just talking about AA-AAA before anyone starts up by telling us all how talented the guys at Staten Island are.

    5. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 10:03 am

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Anyone below AA, to me, again, IMHO, is always more suspect than prospect because they’re light years away from playing at a major league level.

      If so, then why have you bemoaned the loss of Arodys Vizcaino this year, who had only completed short-season low-A ball at the time the Yankees traded him. Given your opinion of players below AA being “more suspect than prospect” should give you comfort that the Yankees lost nothing in trading him, as you have suggested several times this year.

    6. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 10:06 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Your classification of what constitutes a good farm system is not altogether wrong. But that still doesn’t mean that the Yankees don’t have a top-10 farm system, even within your definition. The Yankees system may be unbalanced in that there are more pitchers than positional players of note but it nevertheless doesn’t mean that the other nine teams ranked ahead of the Yankees don’t also have similar distribution issues among the pitchers and positional players. Some teams may have more of one thing than another and it all balances out.

    7. September 1st, 2010 | 11:11 am

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      If so, then why have you bemoaned the loss of Arodys Vizcaino this year, who had only completed short-season low-A ball at the time the Yankees traded him. Given your opinion of players below AA being “more suspect than prospect” should give you comfort that the Yankees lost nothing in trading him, as you have suggested several times this year.

      Did you read what I wrote at the time of the trade? Here it is:

      Arodys Vizcaino is one of the Yankees best pitching prospects. But, is he the next Pedro Martinez or the next Octavio Dotel? We don’t know because he’s yet to pitch above the short-season Penn League. Basically, we have years before we know what Arodys Vizcaino is all about, etc.

      http://waswatching.com/2009/12/22/commentary-on-reported-melky-cabrera-for-javier-vazquez-trade/

    8. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 11:47 am

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Yes, you wrote that at the time. And you were correct to do so. But, since then, in your complaints about the Vazquez trade, you’ve talked about the costs associated with bringing Javy back and have cited the loss of Vizcaino as part of it.

    9. September 1st, 2010 | 12:16 pm

      @ MJ Recanati:
      You’re putting words in my mouth that are not there. See this as recent as two months ago:

      http://waswatching.com/2010/06/30/arodys-vizcaino-bum-elbow/

      Yes, I think getting Vazquez was a blunder – but, not because of the package used to get him.

    10. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 1:00 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      You’re putting words in my mouth that are not there. See this as recent as two months ago:

      Look at the 14th comment from you to me on August 12th at 12:22 pm.

      http://waswatching.com/2010/08/11/wheres-joey-salvia-when-you-need-him/#comments

      You called Arodys Vizcaino “a prized pitching prospect” and made an implicit argument that the “package that they gave up to acquire” Vazquez was somehow unduly burdensome, especially in light of the return the Yanks have received.

      Steve, with all due respect, I dispute the notion that I’m putting words in your mouth.

    11. Corey Italiano
      September 1st, 2010 | 1:38 pm

      I can’t recall by whom, I could of sworn I’ve seen Steve write it, but there’s been plenty discussed about “how much” we gave up for Vazquez.

      which in reality, is not much at all.

    12. September 1st, 2010 | 1:38 pm

      @ MJ Recanati:

      You need to reread my comment:

      http://waswatching.com/2010/08/11/wheres-joey-salvia-when-you-need-him/#comment-315336

      my point was that Vazquz sucks and that THE ENTIRE PACKAGE given up for him was not worth the production he’s providing. It was not “bemoaning the loss of Arodys Vizcaino” as you claim I have done.

    13. September 1st, 2010 | 1:40 pm

      @ Corey Italiano: Doesn’t matter if the Yanks gave up a bag of flaming dog poop for Vazquez. Even that would have been too much, considering how he turned out this year.

    14. clintfsu813
      September 1st, 2010 | 1:56 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      What if Javy comes up big in the postseason? (Big what if I know) Would that validate his 2010 usefulness overall? Were some maybe expecting more of him than was reasonable? (Not you, just asking)

    15. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 2:14 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve, on August 12th, you called Vizcaino a “prized pitching prospect” but have also said that no one below AA is as much prospect as suspect. Which one is it? You can’t argue that the Yanks don’t have a top-10 system and call Vizcaino a prized prospect in two different arguments.

      If you meant to say something else, that’s fine. But I took your comments and read them at face value: that the Yanks gave up too much to get Vazquez because part of the package included a prized pitching prospect.

    16. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 2:16 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      Doesn’t matter if the Yanks gave up a bag of flaming dog poop for Vazquez. Even that would have been too much, considering how he turned out this year.

      Reverting back to the argument of August 12th, this is simply not true. Melky Cabrera has been atrocious, Vizcaino is years away from the big leagues and Mike Dunn is a fungible relief pitcher.

      Vazquez was acquired for nothing but money and costs the team nothing after the 2010 season. I hardly see how the Yankees gave up too much.

    17. Evan3457
      September 1st, 2010 | 2:22 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Steve Lombardi wrote:
      Doesn’t matter if the Yanks gave up a bag of flaming dog poop for Vazquez. Even that would have been too much, considering how he turned out this year.
      Reverting back to the argument of August 12th, this is simply not true. Melky Cabrera has been atrocious, Vizcaino is years away from the big leagues and Mike Dunn is a fungible relief pitcher.
      Vazquez was acquired for nothing but money and costs the team nothing after the 2010 season. I hardly see how the Yankees gave up too much.

      Not to mention that Boone Logan also came over in that deal, and he’s been a vital part of the pen for the last 3 months. Without Logan, the Yanks would be down to oh, lemme see…carry the 6, divide by the square root of pi…as near as I can figure it, they’d be down to exactly 0 lefties in the pen.

      OK, so I mentioned it.

    18. MJ Recanati
      September 1st, 2010 | 2:25 pm

      @ Evan3457:
      Good point. Fungible as cruddy relievers are, the Yanks certainly have benefited from having Logan around, especially as Marte has been injured/ineffective.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.