• Would Kay Ever Pull A Dibble?

Posted by on August 26th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Via Adam Kilgore yesterday -

In the wake of controversial comments he made regarding Stephen Strasburg on his Sirius XM radio show, MASN analyst Rob Dibble will not work tonight’s game or tomorrow’s game.

Several MASN employees were not certain why Dibble will not work the next two games, but Nationals President Stan Kasten shed some light and perhaps gave a not-so-thinly-veiled opinion of Dibble’s comments.

“Rob asked for some time off,” Kasten said. “Perhaps he’s not feeling well. But I’m not a doctor, nor have I seen his records. So I shouldn’t say anything more about it.”

Dibble also found the spotlight recently for comments about a pair of women sitting behind home plate during a MASN telecast. Dibble later apologized to those he offended, both in print and on camera.

Ray Knight will work alongside MASN play-by-play man Bob Carpenter for the next two nights.

Yeah, I know, this is Rob Dibble and/or Nationals news, and this is a Yankees-blog. But, seeing this, I wonder – could we ever see something like this happen in Yankeeland with Michael Kay?

If you’ve ever listened to Kay’s show on ESPN Radio in NYC, you will notice that he tends to be a little more critical on the radio than he is during the YES telecasts. Now, granted, Michael is no dummy. And, I’m sure he’s careful in choosing his words on the radio. But, mistakes do happen, sometimes. Then again, it would have to be a huge thing to get everyone’s attention – since I doubt the Yankees are monitoring Kay’s radio show.

Comments on Would Kay Ever Pull A Dibble?

1. Corey Italiano
      August 26th, 2010 | 9:54 am

What did he say about Strasburg?

2. August 26th, 2010 | 10:15 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

What did he say about Strasburg?

Via the links in Adam’s blog:

Working his day job on Monday, Dibble issued what surely has to be the most prominent public critique of Strasburg’s toughness to date. This one will get the people talking.

“I’m not a doctor, and I haven’t read the MRI yet, but I’m pretty sure he’s gonna come back fine,” Dibble said as the “First Pitch” discussion began. “And for me, if you can throw the next day, then you probably could have continued out there on the baseball field. So are they a little bit overcautious at this point? Maybe. But he’s a $15 million investment. I absolutely can’t blame them for taking him out.

“But here’s the thing. If this was happening to this kid in college and you knew that, then you also knew that he can pitch through this stuff. So a little bit is, ok, let’s see this kid pitch through it.

“I also look at this from the player’s standpoint, that this is your job. This is what you do. You’re never going to be 100 percent healthy, feel perfect. So you have to take accountability that you’re gonna throw sometimes, your arm’s gonna hurt. You’re gonna be out there on the mound sometimes, the mound is gonna be terrible and the dirt is gonna be a little loose and it might not be so great. You can’t constantly be complaining over every little thing.

“So for me, a little bit has to be put back on Strasbug here. Ok, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer? Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow.

“I mean, excuse me. There’s guys I played with that had screws holding their elbows together. Chris Sabo played two weeks on a broken ankle. I put a steel plate in my wrist so I could be back in five weeks instead of three months. So, this is your choice. You can either suck it up and be a man at 22 making $2 million a year [with] a $15 million contract, or every time you get an ache and pain you can go out of the game and say I’m gonna let down the other 24 guys right here and possibly end up forfeiting the game.”

3. Corey Italiano
      August 26th, 2010 | 10:19 am

I can’t believe I can somewhat agree with Dibble..I feel dirty.

August 26th, 2010 | 11:31 am

If the Nats are going to be building around Strasburg, you can bet your bippy that they’re going to be cautious with him. Overcautious even. The Nats aren’t going anywhere, it doesn’t make any sense to try and push Strasburg.

5. August 26th, 2010 | 12:26 pm

@ Corey Italiano:

You should feel dirty – because you’re both wrong.

First, Strasburg didn’t throw the next day: that was a report in error.

Second, Dibble’s a loud, faux-macho meathead who has, in addition to cowardly calling out the franchise during his other gig while being a caricature of a homertastic “analyst,” has also had issues insulting women in recent broadcasts.

Third, Dibble should *know better* given that his career ended early due to, hello, arm injuries! Maybe a little less with the macho and a little more with the MRI would have given Dibs a longer career. The #FireDibble movement on Twitter (I have participated gleefully) discovered a series of articles where Dibble downplayed shoulder injuries and then less than 10 days later he’s undergoing major labrum repair.

The Nationals are in a unique position, because they don’t have a history, so they don’t have to bring in an ex-player to do their color (not too many Ex-pos lining up for a shot in the booth I’m guessing). So I think they owe it to their fans to bring in someone smart and entertaining. My personal pipedream would be bringing Jim Kaat in (he’s an ex-Senator!), but really – anyone but Dibble would be a massive improvement.

August 26th, 2010 | 1:04 pm

As for the original question, I doubt that Kay would pull a “Dibble,” as Kay’s a bit more polished. I’m sure there’s a line that even he wouldn’t (or given that he’s never played probably couldn’t) cross… Unless the topic’s Mike Mussina, then all bets are off :D

7. August 26th, 2010 | 1:18 pm

Sean McNally wrote:

Would they, considering where they are, go for some former O’s for the broadcast? YES doesn’t use Singleton enough. Perhaps he would consider working for the Nats for more money?

8. cr1
      August 26th, 2010 | 1:21 pm

Even doing play-by-play, Kay finds ways to stick it to his scapegoats and play up his favorites but he does it more subtly, like saying something about whatever their least favorable stat for the year is *every single time* a scapegoat comes to the plate or makes a play in the field, or doing the reverse by interminably repeating whatever favorable stat or anecdote he can find for one of his favorites *every time* they are on the TV screen.

The smarter listeners may get tired of the endless repetitions and the sneaky slants, but only when he really hates someone — or FO instructs him to undermine someone — does it get blatant. It’s only then that the slower members of his audience will even notice.

9. 77yankees
      August 26th, 2010 | 7:35 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Maybe Singy is happy doing 80-90 games on YES rather than the 150 he’d do for MASN. Plus I wouldn’t think they’d be in a position to throw more $ at him than YES could.

As far as Dibble goes, he’s Hawk Harrelson with a frat boy maturity, yelling, “YEAH!!” in the background during Nats rallies.