• Another Burnett Start Another Dud

Posted by on August 27th, 2010 · Comments (22)

Seriously, since May 9th, through today, over his last 20 starts, A.J. Burnett’s ERA is 6.35 (78 ER in 110 2/3 IP). Wasn’t Dave Eiland supposed to fix him? What a joke. Oh, and, by the way, if the Yankees go on to lose this game today, they will be 6-14 in those 20 starts by Burnett. He’s killing this team and needs to be sent away. Perhaps to another planet?

Comments on Another Burnett Start Another Dud

1. KPOcala
      August 27th, 2010 | 10:58 pm

ack, ackk,aaaaack! And to think I was happy that they signed the “Yankee Killer” aaaaack!

2. KPOcala
      August 27th, 2010 | 11:01 pm

…and maybe it’s time to put him in the bullpen and consider using an “Arm” out of AAA…..it’s has been done before

3. ken
      August 27th, 2010 | 11:47 pm

Maybe we can trade AJ for Ollie Perez?

What happened to the days when he played for TOR and if the Yanks gave up 2 runs then the game was over?

4. Evan3457
      August 28th, 2010 | 12:21 am

AJ’s not going anywhere anytime soon guys…except maybe to the bullpen.

Chad Gaudin back at #5, anyone?

5. August 28th, 2010 | 1:21 am

What’s difficult to believe is the fact that the whole season now rests on A.J’s arm and head. Unless Eiland and Girardi can get this guy turned around the team is finished for 2010. The Yanks could still make the postseason but the team will be knocked out in the first round.

Let me ask this, I’m not suggesting it, I just started thinking about it, what about an offseason deal between the Giants and the Yanks, A.J. for Zito. Now, Zito is no picnic, that’s for sure, he’s had three three straight losing seasons and he’s below .500 this season. The contracts are about the same, a buyout clause in Zito’s contract makes him a little more expensive but the teams couls split the difference. I think A.J. is better than Zito now but I’m not sure things won’t continue to get worse for him. By next season he might be a complete Kevin Brown style wreck. Again, I’m not saying the Yanks should do it but is it something worth exploring?

6. Jim TreshFan
      August 28th, 2010 | 2:11 am

Here’s a thought: If Pettitte doesn’t make it back the Yankees could go down to the wire with a rotation of Sabathia, Moseley, Nova, Mitre and Gaudin. That’s not a red flag. That’s a white flag.

7. Scout
      August 28th, 2010 | 9:06 am

I’m beginning to think Cashman sold his soul to the devil for the 2009 World Series win.

8. redbug
      August 28th, 2010 | 10:03 am

I’m worried about Boston. I’m rooting for Tampa this weekend just to get it to a 2 team race. If Tampa lets Boston back in, we could very well miss the PS. With all their injuries, Boston is hanging in. I give them a lot of credit. I don’t get the same feeling about the Yanks, at all.

Other than CC, I have no real confidence in the Yanks starting pitching (w/ Andy on the DL). Even if Andy makes it back, he’ll only have 2 or 3 starts, at best, to get ready for the PS – if there is one for the Yanks.

9. August 28th, 2010 | 10:07 am

Scout wrote:

Nah, just a half-billion dollars of the Stein money to acquire Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira…and some magic from Dr. Anthony Galea allowing A-Rod to turn into an October 2002 version of Barry Bonds. That’s all it took.

10. August 28th, 2010 | 10:08 am

redbug wrote:

I’m worried about Boston.

They are, now, very close to getting back into this. If the Yankees split the next two games, and Boston takes the next two from the Rays, then it’s a wide-open three team race in the East. But, can they beat the Rays the next two games?

11. ken
      August 28th, 2010 | 10:31 am

redbug wrote:

I’m worried about Boston

I’ve been worried all season about them. With the injuries they’ve had, they should be 10-15 games out. They are getting hitting production from journeymen, 4th outfielders, 5th infielders, and career minor leaguers. And as their pitching gets healthy we see the true strength of that team.

They may have the best starting rotation in the league. In fact, who’s better?

August 28th, 2010 | 10:55 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Probably not; what’s the Giants motivation for making the deal? Also have to take into consideration that Burnett’s wife doesn’t fly, and they have family in the DelMarVa area (don’t remember where), so trading Burnett to the Giants is pretty much a no-go.

August 28th, 2010 | 11:04 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Are they not there this year?

August 28th, 2010 | 11:14 am

ken wrote:

They may have the best starting rotation in the league. In fact, who’s better?

Tampa, Oakland, Minny, there are probably more teams.

15. August 28th, 2010 | 11:29 am

ken wrote:

They may have the best starting rotation in the league. In fact, who’s better?

Girardi talked about this on the FAN yesterday – when asked about how Boston is staying in the race, he said that, even with all their injuries, their rotation, for the most part, has been regular and that those guys are very good. (I guess Joe forgot about Beckett being out.)

August 28th, 2010 | 11:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I guess Joe forgot about Beckett being out.

And Lackey hasn’t been “very good” either. Mastsuzaka’s been about average, and Wakefield’s been struggling.

17. ken
      August 28th, 2010 | 2:10 pm

Raf wrote:

Lackey: though “not very good” is better than anyone not named CC on our rotation right now.
      Matsuzaka: his “average” matches up well against our non-CC starters.
      Wake: OK, I’ll give you this one.

18. ken
      August 28th, 2010 | 2:13 pm

Raf wrote:

Tampa, Oakland, Minny, there are probably more teams

Huh? Give me a 1-2 better than Lester and Buchholz right now?

August 28th, 2010 | 2:53 pm

ken wrote:

Raf wrote:
      Tampa, Oakland, Minny, there are probably more teams
      Huh? Give me a 1-2 better than Lester and Buchholz right now?

Pavano and Lirano in Minnesota?

IIRC, the 1-2 in Boston was Lester and Lackey.

20. ken
      August 28th, 2010 | 3:06 pm

Raf wrote:

IIRC, the 1-2 in Boston was Lester and Lackey.

Technically, yes. But Lester and Buchholz have been shutting down opponents recently. They have each been as good as CC has been for us. Doesn’t really matter where they are in the rotation. Bottom line is those two can be counted on for good starts, deep into the game and 3-4 runs by the offense should win it. We only have one of those. And our other guys are worse than their other guys.

21. ken
      August 28th, 2010 | 3:13 pm

Raf wrote:

Pavano and Lirano in Minnesota?

A bit too much for me to copy/paste, but look at the comparisons of last few starts. Lester in particular: 3 of 4 last games were against NYY, TAM and TEX during which he pitched 21.1 innings and gave up 1 earned run. Got the win in each of those. (OK, the forth game was an ugly outing against TOR. But I believe the comparison still holds.)

August 28th, 2010 | 4:14 pm

@ ken:
      Regardless, over the duration of the season there are other AL teams that have better starters or deeper rotations than the Red Sox.

From a R/G perspective, up to this point the following teams have starters that have allowed less runs than the Red Sox;

OAK, TBR, MIN, NYY, CHI, TEX, SEA & TOR.

Red Sox are currently 6th in the league (tied with the Jays) in quality start percentage, behind OAK, CHI, TBR, SEA & NYY