• August 30th vs. The A’s

Posted by on August 30th, 2010 · Comments (12)

I’m back from a week in Ireland…what’d I miss?

Getting to watch tonight’s 11-5 destruction of the A’s is about the best way I can think of to get back into the swing of things.  True, Dustin Moseley pitched poorly and, true, the A’s aren’t exactly the 1927 Yankees at the plate but there was still a lot to like about this game:

• The Yankees pounded out 13 hits to go with their 11 runs and chased Cy Young contender Trevor Cahill (4 9 8 8 2 2) early;
    • Seven of the nine Yankee starters registered at least one hit (only Jeter and Granderson missed the hit parade);
    • The Yankee 3-4-5 hitters (Teixeira-Cano-Swisher) went a combined 9-for-11 with three doubles, two home runs and nine RBI;
    • Marcus Thames continued his absolutely ridiculous hitting, blasting his sixth HR in the past six games; and
    • Javier Vazquez showed once again that he cannot be completely dismissed as a viable major league pitcher.  In relief of Dustin Moseley, Vazquez (4.2 2 1 1 1 6) picked up his 10th win of the season.

The Yankees are 81-50, tied for first place with the Tampa Bay Rays.  We all do a lot of complaining about a lot of things as fans but does anyone else realize that the Yankees are 31 games above .500?  That’s pretty remarkable.

Comments on August 30th vs. The A’s

1. Corey Italiano
      August 31st, 2010 | 9:11 am

Marcus Thames continued his absolutely ridiculous hitting, blasting his sixth HR in the past six games; and-
      ————
      Even better than that, 6 homers in his last 5 starts. (The 6th game was a pinch hitting appearance)

2. YankCrank
      August 31st, 2010 | 9:58 am

I’m back from a week in Ireland…what’d I miss?
      —-

Hope you had an amazing time MJ! I’ve always wanted to drink my way through Ireland, but until then i’ll just settle for annual trips to Notre Dame :) Did you like it?

It’s really good to see the younger Yankees – Tex, Cano, Swish, Gardner – take an active role in providing substantial offensive production while the older Yankees suffer through ineffectiveness and injury. 31 games over .500, boy are we spoiled.

3. MJ Recanati
      August 31st, 2010 | 10:12 am

@ YankCrank:
      YankCrank, I didn’t just like Ireland, I loved it. Beautiful country, incredibly friendly and hospitable people, lots of fun things to see and, yes, the drinking is legendary over there. I went over for a wedding and, let me tell you, when I went to bed at 3:30 am, most of the rest of the people at the party stayed out until 6. They all have two livers over there and I’m sure I did unspeakable amounts of damage to myself. :-)

4. August 31st, 2010 | 10:52 am

@ MJ Recanati: I had you pegged for Greece, not Ireland. Glad you had a great and safe time.

5. MJ Recanati
      August 31st, 2010 | 12:03 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Thanks.

Now that both of my grandparents have passed away in the past year, I’ll be going to Greece less since most of my other relatives that live there also frequently travel to the US or England (where we can meet in the middle, so to speak).

6. Corey Italiano
      August 31st, 2010 | 12:14 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Now that both of my grandparents have passed away in the past year

Sorry to hear

7. August 31st, 2010 | 12:57 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Sorry to hear

Ditto.

8. MJ Recanati
      August 31st, 2010 | 3:39 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      @ Steve Lombardi:
      Thanks guys. Honestly, they both lived very full lives. My grandma was 86 and my grandpa was 98. Can’t argue with that kind of longevity.

9. August 31st, 2010 | 5:07 pm

@ MJ Recanati: Nice.

My uncle’s mother-in-law (she’s the mother of his wife) just hit 103. Still lives in her own house in NJ. How ’bout that! Too bad she’s not a blood relative, so, I can count that in my gene pool. But, my cousin can – the lucky guy. (It’s his grandma.)

10. MJ Recanati
      August 31st, 2010 | 5:34 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Holy crap, 103?! That’s incredible! Good for her that she still lives in her own home. May she have another 103 good years left in her!

11. MJ Recanati
      August 31st, 2010 | 5:37 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      FYI – My dad’s mom made it to 99 so I have at least one grandparent on either side make it to 98+. My mom’s mom only made it to 86 (and my dad’s dad died in WWII). It kind of blows my mind that people can make it that long. Gives me hope that I can see Mariano Rivera’s son striking out the side to clinch the 2060 World Series for the Yanks.

12. August 31st, 2010 | 5:50 pm

Only 86? Man, I would sign up for that now, if I could, as long as I was able to still take care of myself up to 86.