• Yankees Red Sox Special On VERSUS This Evening

Posted by on August 31st, 2010 · Comments (9)

This evening at 8:00 p.m. ET, “Greatest MLB Rivalries: Red Sox vs. Yankees” will debut on VERSUS.

This one-hour special, created by MLB Productions, is the final chapter of five episodes that aired over the past month (others included Cubs vs. Cardinals, Mets vs. Phillies, Dodgers vs. Giants and A.L. vs. N.L.), taking viewers inside the most compelling headtohead matchups in the game today, providing perspective from players, coaches, fans, media and team management.

Reportedly, the Red Sox vs. Yankees show is the most comprehensive treatment of the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry that MLB Productions has ever put together. The claim is that every notable moment is covered, as well as many that most fans have either forgotten or have never seen before.

The 2003 and 2004 ALCS series are covered extensively, as is the 1978 season, the early days of Babe Ruth, the 40’s and 50’s featuring Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio and much more.

Some of the more interesting rare nuggets include:

1. An extensive look at the late 70’s rivalry, including footage of multiple brawls, the Carlton Fisk-Thurman Munson rivalry, and the 1978 regular season comeback by the Yankees
    2. Don Zimmer talking recently about the 2003 ALCS brawl that included his altercation with Pedro Martinez, saying “I was wrong in doing what I did. They said ‘Pedro threw an old man to the ground.’ Pedro didn’t do nothing wrong [sic].”
    3. Interviews with fans from both sides expressing how deep the rivalry goes, including comments from noted Red Sox fan, actor Denis Leary.

The show features new and/or archived interviews with a who’swho of notable figures from both sides, including:

• Aaron Boone
    • Mariano Rivera
    • CC Sabathia
    • Curt Schilling
    • Mark Teixeira
    • Joe Torre
    • Don Zimmer

Sounds like must-see TV, eh?

Comments on Yankees Red Sox Special On VERSUS This Evening

1. G.I. Joey
      August 31st, 2010 | 4:05 pm

I think I’ll DVR this so I can fast forward through the part about the 2004 ALCS. I’ve done my best to avoid reliving this in any capacity. I’m still haunted by it.

2. August 31st, 2010 | 4:49 pm

So, here’s something to mull…

if the devil came to you and said: “I can make the 2004 ALCS go away. It will be as if it never, EVER, happened. It will be totally gone and history will have no record of it. But, in exchange, we have to wipe out the 2003 ALCS and the game on 10/2/78 as well…”

Would you make that trade?

3. 77yankees
      August 31st, 2010 | 7:32 pm

Not for nothing, but Mets-Phillies is not a “great” baseball rivalry like the other three.

Outside of Jim Bunning’s perfect game, what happened prior to the last five years that would qualify it as such?

4. August 31st, 2010 | 9:07 pm

@ 77yankees:
      I think Cubs vs. Cardinals and Mets vs. Phillies are more from the aspect that the fans of each team hate the other. Agreed, there’s little history of battles between the Mets and Phils. But, I have some Mets fans friends. And, I can tell ya, they really hate the Phillies and their fans.

5. August 31st, 2010 | 9:11 pm

I did watch this, this evening.

Watching the Yankees play the A’s is like watching men against boys. So, I thought this special might be more entertaining.

It was good. But, man, every mention of 2004 still stings like a mother ‘efer.

6. 77yankees
      August 31st, 2010 | 10:02 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

Well, Mets-Phils has more to do with Jimmy Rollins’ big mouth and the Phils stealing the Mets’ lunch money away from them the last day of the season two years in a row.

But Mike Schmidt hitting HR off Craig Swan in front of 5,000 at Shea in the late 70s doesn’t qualify as a rivalry.

I saw the special too – didn’t really break any new ground for me. Of course they had to rehash 2004 twice – since that’s the only time they beat us in 90 years.

7. 77yankees
      August 31st, 2010 | 10:04 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Watching the Yankees play the A’s is like watching men against boys.

But, Steve, you missed Posada hitting a triple – it broke the season long tie between him and Gene Monahan.

September 1st, 2010 | 3:39 am

77yankees wrote:

It’s more a regional rivalry more than anything else. Both teams were rarely competitive at the same time, which is key to a rivalry, IMO.

September 1st, 2010 | 3:40 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Would you make that trade?

Nope.