• Curtis Granderson Since All-Star Break

Posted by on September 2nd, 2010 · Comments (22)

Much maligned for an admittedly sub-par 2010 season at the plate, Curtis Granderson is quietly putting together the makings of a comeback since the All-Star Break.

Including his 2-for-3 afternoon so far today, in the 45 games since the ASB, Granderson has put together a .262/.331/.517 batting line with 10 HR and 21 RBI.  He may not make anyone forget about Bernie Williams’s stellar offense in CF but it’s an improvement over his first half .240/.309/.409 with 7 HR and 24 RBI in his first 59 games.

A 130-point improvement in Granderson’s OPS is certainly not a bad thing as the Yankees start gearing up for the playoffs.  We can all agree on that, right?

Comments on Curtis Granderson Since All-Star Break

1. Evan3457
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:12 pm

I wish he’d start getting some more hits with RISP. Other than that, things are fine.

2. September 2nd, 2010 | 4:17 pm

I dunno. Coming into this game today, according the B-R.com, in his last 31 games, Granderson’s BA/OBA/SLG line is .222/.297/.414 in 111 PA.

I’m not really seeing the improvement.

I’m seeing one small hot streak from Jul 16, 2010 to Jul 29, 2010 followed by a longer streak of still sucking…followed by a nice game today.

3. G.I. Joey
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:25 pm

I have a good feeling about Grandy and I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think he’s going to be an impact player during the postseason.

4. Corey Italiano
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:30 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      I’ll buy that. I like Granderson, despite the general consensus.

5. MJ Recanati
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:44 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’m not really seeing the improvement.

If you want to break things down into little snippets that prove your point, sure.

But my point was that in the 45 games since the ASB, he’s .262/.331/.517. My date range includes yours so I don’t see why you’re disinclined to consider the bigger sample that my range provides.

6. September 2nd, 2010 | 4:51 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

If you take one big long log of shit and stick two strawberries covered with chocolate on each end of it, it’s still basically a lump of shit. And, that’s what you have with Grandy’s numbers since July 16th.

7. MJ Recanati
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:54 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      .262/.331/.517 thus far in the second half sucks? Really? I’ll take an .848 from my CF any day.

8. MJ Recanati
      September 2nd, 2010 | 4:55 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I’ll take an .848 from my CF any day.

That should read I’ll take an .848 OPSfrom my CF any day.

9. Corey Italiano
      September 2nd, 2010 | 5:02 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Same, especially considering what we’ve had the past few seasons

10. MJ Recanati
      September 2nd, 2010 | 5:05 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Same, especially considering what we’ve had the past few seasons

Indeed.

11. September 2nd, 2010 | 5:26 pm

Me? I can’t ignore those 111 PA before today with an OPS of 710 heading into today over his last 31 games.

Yeah, I know about the last 45 games. But, think of it this way…

If I told you that your girlfriend would kiss you for 13 minutes, and then follow that by sticking a red hot poker in your ass for 31 minutes, and then kiss you again for 1 minutes, would you be happy with that?

Well, maybe SOME of you would like that? ;-)

But, I’m not going to ignore 31 games of “suck” just because he had 13 games of good before it and one game of good after it.

31 is a lot bigger than 13 and/or one.

12. MJ Recanati
      September 2nd, 2010 | 5:44 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      You can’t cut up the numbers any way you want to prove your point. Well, you can, but you’d be ignoring the whole picture which, no matter how you cut it, still says that over 45 games, he’s hitting .262/.331/.517.

And since 45 games is more than 31 games I still don’t get what you’re arguing. The only thing you’ve said that is absolutely correct is that “31 is a lot bigger than 13 and/or one.”

Also, since you seem to like cutting numbers up, here’s my own cut:

August 14-September 2 (19 games): .277/.356/.600, 7 HR, 11 RBI.

13. Gabed22
      September 2nd, 2010 | 5:56 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve your “statistical analysis” is absurd, when you don’t like a player you take the exact amount of games that make his stats look the worst, and start and end there…..out of curiosity, i would like to see his stats five games before and after your arbitrary cut-off point. Someone cited his stats since the all-star game (a natural cut-off) and then you found the games where his best stats were and picked a time in between it. regardless of my opinion of Granderson (he is ok, but nothing special) this kind of analysis is disingenuous. Granted it isnt as bad as when you made the yankees a 500 team when you took out all of their winning streaks…

14. Garcia
      September 2nd, 2010 | 7:30 pm

I don’t know, I feel like I’m seeing a much better Grandy-man. But I also like him a lot, I think he’s an easy guy to root for and if the choice is between choosing the last 31 games OR all games after the ASG, then I’m going to choose the latter. Is it because I really like Grandy? I dunno. Possibly. But some people choose to look at stats from a different perspective/angle, no matter how you flip the numbers, is anyone really wrong?

@Steve IMHO, I think continuously proving that Grandy is just not the good is your way of solidifying your case against Cashman. A part of me thinks that’s your hidden motive. Again, it just feels that way.

15. Evan3457
      September 2nd, 2010 | 7:54 pm

Garcia wrote:

This.

…and that.

16. Evan3457
      September 2nd, 2010 | 8:20 pm

For the moment, Granderson’s passed Austin Jackson in both OPS and OPS+. He’s looking like a lock for 20 HR after missing a month.

=================================================

The Game of Selective Endpoints!

Curtis 4-slash numbers, over the:

…last 3 games: .455/.455/1.273/1.728
      …last 13 games: .250/.327/.478/.805
      …last 21 games: .288/.366/.603/.969
      …last 32 games: .235/.315/.480/.795
      …last 49 games: .279/.341/.525/.866
      …last 79 games: .241/.305/.457/.762
      …last 86 games (since he came off the DL): .255/.320/.478/.798
      …last 109 games: (i.e., all of 2010): .249/.318/.452/.770

So pays yer money, and takes yer “streak”. The overall trend has been up since the end of the 1st slump in April, but it’s been mostly up and down.
      =======================================
      Austin Jackson, since Granderson came off the DL in late May: .288/.339/.384/.723
      =======================================
      Jackson is still +19 runs in CF by BIS (+/-); Granderson is only +6. On the other hand, Granderson is +5.3/150 in UZR, and Jackson is at +3.4/150. RZR says their rates are more or less even within the zone, but Jackson has caught far more balls out of the zone. Granderson does have another CF next to him in left, so Gardner gets to many more balls than the Tigers’ LF do. Swisher is not great in right, but Kearns is very good, and before Ordonez got hurt, he was mediocre as usual.

17. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:18 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Stevearoni, those metaphors are golden. They probably account for about 20% of why I come back here everyday. That and the bickering between you and MJ ;)

18. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:27 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      Which one did you like more, the kissing/hot poker one or the chocolate-covered strawberries at either end of a log of dookie? I was partial to the strawberries-and-poop one myself.

19. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:32 pm

hahahahaha

20. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:33 pm

Mainly because I wasnt expecting it, lol

21. 77yankees
      September 4th, 2010 | 10:49 am

Well, we’ve seen it before – put up a strong finish, especially in the post-season (David Weathers, Graeme Lloyd, Damaso Marte to name a few) and we’ll all humbly and gratefully tip our caps.

22. September 4th, 2010 | 10:55 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Stevearoni, those metaphors are golden.

Well, that’s the E in Poke for ya!

;-)