• September 2nd/3rd Vs. The Athletics

Posted by on September 3rd, 2010 · Comments (25)

So I forgot to do the game-time open thread for yesterdays game, as I received some exciting personal news and it just slipped my mind. Let’s have this post count be the recap for yesterdays and the open thread for today’s game.

Sabathia kicked some serious butt yesterday giving up just one hit and 3 walks over 8 strong innings. He comes the first Yankees pitcher to turn in back to back 19 win  seasons since Chien-Ming Wang did it from 06-07. (Speaking of which, looks like the Yanks made the right call on him).

Posada went deep, and Granderson kicked in a pair of bombs. If there’s any time to get hot its the last month into October. I hope they keep it up.

As for today, the Yanks send out young Ivan Nova in hopes that he can continue where he left of in his last start. The Jays send out Morrow for his last start of the year (they are shutting him down due to innings limitations). Should be a good one, feel free to hang in the comments and talk about the game as it happens.

Comments on September 2nd/3rd Vs. The Athletics

1. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:29 am

Weekday afternoon games are just terribly unfair to those of us that actually have jobs. I freakin’ hate them. In fact, I had to eat tickets to today’s game because I couldn’t sell them…and I obviously can’t go myself.

Oh well…there are worse things in life, like the A’s in this four-game series. We just kicked their asses!

2. YankCrank
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:35 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Agreed, what the hell are we supposed to do?

MJ Recanati wrote:

Hell yeah we did! And it’s encouraging, to be honest. We had to sit through the frustration of August and see the Yanks not complete sweeps against mediocre teams like the Tigers and Royals, so a sweep of the A’s shows the team is taking care of business and maybe turning a corner (not to mention, two of the four starts were garbage and we still won).

Now, can we please bury these d-bag Blue Jays for once? I’m sick of them beating us every god damn series.

3. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:41 am

YankCrank wrote:

Damn straight. The Jays aren’t even that good yet they’ve been a major pain in our asses all year. I want to crush them and, honestly, if it means #62 has to come out of the pen and bury one in Bautista’s ribs, so be it. Enough of that career mediocrity taking out his life’s frustrations on our pitching staff!

4. G.I. Joey
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:46 am

I had to give up tickets to yesterdays game which was really disappointing b/c I wanted to heckle Braden. Today I’m lucky enough that my office is closing early and I’ll be able to attend the game and give Bautista a piece of my mind.

5. Corey Italiano
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:53 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Send him a boo bird from me!

6. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 9:55 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

give Bautista a piece of my mind.

Give him a piece of my mind too.

I wish I could find the drunkest, most obnoxious guy in the world, tell him that Vernon Wells talked about his mama and then give him my tickets and tell him to go to town.

7. G.I. Joey
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:00 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      @ Corey Italiano:

Consider it done fellas.

8. YankCrank
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:01 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

Yes please, and hopefully it’ll be one of his rare 99mph heaters.

9. YankCrank
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:20 am

@ MJ Recanati:

Possible blessing in disguise. Looks like Jeter gets the day off and Cervelli is probably catching Nova. Bottom three in the order may be Nunez, Pena, Cervelli…still upset you’re not going today?

10. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:40 am

@ YankCrank:
      LOL, true. Plus, it may rain so there’s that too.

But still, I hate to eat the $.

11. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:24 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Yes please, and hopefully it’ll be one of his rare 99mph heaters

Not becoming too rare lately. Seems hes getting up there pretty regularly lately.
      I’m just hopin the BJ’s are still on snooze after napping vs TAM again this week.

12. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:31 pm

Great start vs Morrow. Hope Nova can keep it under 5 runs.

13. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:52 pm

Granderson on fiyah right now. 4-1 Yanks.

14. Corey Italiano
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:55 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      Makes ya wish we still had the Melk Man out there huh?

15. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:56 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Granderson on fiyah right now. 4-1 Yanks.

According to Steve, it’s just a chocolate-covered strawberry sitting on the end of a doody stick.

16. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 2:02 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      Nope.

17. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 2:24 pm

5-2. Nova needs to bear down here.

18. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 2:44 pm

They’ve taken out Nova with 2 outs in the 5th. Any way he gets win if we hold on?

19. Corey Italiano
      September 3rd, 2010 | 2:54 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Any way he gets win if we hold on?

I can’t recall a time when the starter got a win without going 5 innings in a game where there wasn’t rain, so I doubt it.

20. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:09 pm

Great K by Drob to get out of trouble there.

21. clintfsu813
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:11 pm

Man…Tallet is making us look foolish here. Would love some insurance runs when Joba comes in, lol.

22. Corey Italiano
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:19 pm

That Granderson sure does suck

23. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:34 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

That Granderson sure does suck

Indeed. With every passing game, he looks less and less like a chocolate-covered strawberry and more and more like the lump of poop.

24. Evan3457
      September 3rd, 2010 | 4:44 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Not allowed by rule. Starter must go 5 for win unless rain-shortened.

Surprised scorer gave Wood the win, and not Logan.

Rule 10.17(b) Comment: It is the intent of Rule 10.17(b) that a relief pitcher pitch at least one complete inning or pitch when a crucial out is made, within the context of the game (including the score), in order to be credited as the winning pitcher. If the first relief pitcher pitches effectively, the official scorer should not presumptively credit that pitcher with the win, because the rule requires that the win be credited to the pitcher who was the most effective, and a subsequent relief pitcher may have been most effective. The official scorer, in determining which relief pitcher was the most effective, should consider the number of runs, earned runs and base runners given up by each relief pitcher and the context of the game at the time of each relief pitcher’s appearance. If two or more relief pitchers were similarly effective, the official scorer should give the presumption to the earlier pitcher as the winning pitcher.

(Emphasis mine)

To my mind, Logan got the most crucial out of the game when he K’d Overbay to end the 5th inning. Overbay was the go ahead run at the plate. It’s true that Wood went 1 2/3 and got Robertson out of the jam in the 7th, but never faced the go-ahead run, or even the tying run.

Logan shoulda got the W. He doesn’t even get a hold, because it wasn’t a save situation when he came in. (Wood would have gotten a hold if Logan had gotten the win.

25. Jim TreshFan
      September 3rd, 2010 | 6:44 pm

Well now, things are looking pretty good for the Yankees going 7 and 3 on this homestand now, don’t they? :D