• Waldman Defends Jeter

    Posted by on September 3rd, 2010 · Comments (19)

    There’s no such thing as “Pasta Diving Waldman!”

    Via Bob Raissman -

    So it has been these tales of the Captain “slowing down” and slumping, accompanied by visions of [Derek] Jeter, 36, walking to shortstop with a cane followed by a ball boy carrying a package of Depends, that is feeding the media. Once again, Jeter, in this alleged “twilight,” is throwing a banquet for notebooks and microphones.

    Thursday, on the other end of the telephone, Suzyn Waldman (aka Ma Pinstripe/Georgie Girl) was talking about 2004 when Jeter had an 0-for-32 stretch in April. She remembered how he stood and answered all the questions. This time around it’s more complicated. It’s September. He’s older. And there’s a contract negotiation, likely his last, waiting for him.

    “All the people doing the talking are shortsighted, very shortsighted,” Waldman said. “I don’t think any of the talk, any of the stories, affect Derek at all. Everybody is jumping to conclusions because they need something to talk about.”

    “You’re watching a career go full circle,” Waldman said. “It’s not over, trust me. Wait and watch how this season plays out. Stop looking at it game to game. Baseball is a game of attrition. Let’s see where Derek’s standing in October. Then shoot your mouth off.”

    “The Jeter contract is not a delicate situation at all. I think the Yankees will give Jeter what he wants,” Waldman said. “But nobody knows what he wants. They’re all jumping to ridiculous conclusions.”

    Suzyn is starting to remind me of the old aunt in your family who you love because she’s your aunt, but, who you love even more because she’s an older lady who shares your passion for baseball. However, as much as you love her, you cringe every time she starts to talk something baseball-related and is wrong, since you really don’t want to tell her that she’s wrong because she’s your old baseball-loving aunt who you love very much…

    Comments on Waldman Defends Jeter

    1. Corey Italiano
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:52 am

      I don’t really like Waldman.

      Want to call her Ma-WFAN? fine. Ma-Pinstripe? No.

    2. Scout
      September 3rd, 2010 | 10:55 am

      She is entitled to her opinion, and entitled to be wrong.

      No one has said Jeter cannot play anymore. I have said he has slowed down and will become less capable of playing a leading role in the next couple of years, and after that his decline will make him a detriment to the team on the field. If Suzyn has discovered a cure for aging in athletes, please let us in on it.

    3. Jim TreshFan
      September 3rd, 2010 | 11:12 am

      Again, this is just another Jeet’s-gonna-get-hot-and-go-on-a-tear apologia.
      Short-sighted? Who’s short-sighted here? Waldman’s comparing Jeter’s 0 for 32 April slump in ’04 to his current 3 month slide now. He was 29 then. He’s 36 now. He would finish out 2004 batting .292 with 188 hits, 23 HRs and 303 Total Bases. Can he reach those figures in 2010? He’s got 28 game to do it. Let’s wait and see, Suzy.

    4. #15
      September 3rd, 2010 | 11:14 am

      I posted this on another thread earlier today, but it applies better here..

      “Pena needs to slide over to short for a couple of games once A-Rod gets back. Won’t really hurt us at the plate at all. Along that line of thought…

      I sincerely hope Jeter is concealing a seriously debilitating injury. Hate to think he’s that late in his career, especially after a great year in ’09. If what we are seeing is what he’s got left in the tank, he’s got maybe a year or two left, and most of that will be on reputation. I’m a huge DJ fan, and always be, but he seems to have aged before our eyes over the past 3 months.”

      To this I’ll add…

      My hope is for an incentive laden 2 year deal, with club or mutual options, also with a big incentive upside, and a personal services arrangement after that, assuming he plays out his career as a Yankee. If he wants to go do the Tampa-like thing somewhere else, then the personal service deal is off. It’s a two way street. The Jeter of 2009… Sure, I’ll overpay to keep that guy around considering what he’s meant to the org. If he plays like 2009, pay him like 2009+. But if he plays like 2010, I’ll still overpay him by league standards, but not $18-20M per. He couldn’t reasonably expect that. I know there is money involved, but I have a hard time seeing Jeter wanting to hang around if he’s performing like he is right now. It can’t be fun for him. He’ll get his 3000 hits, but if what we are seeing is what he has left, forget about 4000 like was talked about (even by me, as recently as last year). By all accounts he’s managed his affairs well, made bundles as a pitchman, and he and his great grandchildren are set for life. I sure do hope he’s hurt, or his eyes are going and he needs glasses/Lasik’s, etc… He entered the league and played with great dignity for a long time. He’s got to leave that way to complete the legend. Go out like Joe D., not like Ali.

    5. Raf
      September 3rd, 2010 | 11:55 am

      Scout wrote:

      No one has said Jeter cannot play anymore

      Exactly. Jeter is still a serviceable player, but one on the downside of his career. Nothing wrong with that. And while his overall numbers may be down, there are certain splits that show that he can still be a productive player for a couple more years.

    6. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 12:22 pm

      While I do think Waldman takes an unfair amount of abuse, I can’t disagree that she’s pretty bad at her job on the air, nor can I disagree that she doesn’t know much about the game at this point.

      She’d have been wise to shut up as, honestly, I’m not even sure Jeter would want her pleading his case.

    7. Evan3457
      September 3rd, 2010 | 12:55 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Scout wrote:
      No one has said Jeter cannot play anymore
      Exactly. Jeter is still a serviceable player, but one on the downside of his career. Nothing wrong with that. And while his overall numbers may be down, there are certain splits that show that he can still be a productive player for a couple more years.

      His play is not what’s wrong. What’s wrong is that it seems the Yanks will have to pay him like he’s still in his prime, instead of on the way down.

      I don’t have a good answer for this incongruity. I sure hope the Yanks do.

    8. Evan3457
      September 3rd, 2010 | 12:56 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      While I do think Waldman takes an unfair amount of abuse, I can’t disagree that she’s pretty bad at her job on the air, nor can I disagree that she doesn’t know much about the game at this point.
      She’d have been wise to shut up as, honestly, I’m not even sure Jeter would want her pleading his case.

      Her best thing; in fact, her only good thing, is the post-game interviews. She’s very good at that, mediocre at some things, and horrible at the rest.

    9. MJ Recanati
      September 3rd, 2010 | 1:03 pm

      Evan3457 wrote:

      Her best thing; in fact, her only good thing, is the post-game interviews. She’s very good at that

      You’re right about that.

    10. Garcia
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:21 pm

      Let’s have some fun: If I were Steve, what would I write today?

      So far today Granderson’s line is 2 – 3, but if you take away both hits then he’s 0 – 1. So, the star outfielder acquired by Cashman, using Big Stein’s bucks, is a player that can’t get a hit – if you take away all his hits. ;-)

    11. Garcia
      September 3rd, 2010 | 3:32 pm

      Steve, just busting your chops so please don’t comeback with a post chock full of stats telling me how Granderson and Cashman aren’t that good. I already know where you stand on this matter.

    12. Evan3457
      September 3rd, 2010 | 4:31 pm

      Garcia wrote:

      Let’s have some fun: If I were Steve, what would I write today?
      So far today Granderson’s line is 2 – 3, but if you take away both hits then he’s 0 – 1. So, the star outfielder acquired by Cashman, using Big Stein’s bucks, is a player that can’t get a hit – if you take away all his hits.

      …and Arodys Vizcaino is still a potential future Cy Young Award winner.

      So there’s that.

    13. September 3rd, 2010 | 6:32 pm

      This is a silly article. Jeter’s not in an 0-for-32 slump; he’s hitting almost 50 points below his career average this year (and 68 points off last season). He’s been hitting below .250 since May. If discussing that isn’t news, then what is?

      If anything, the media has showed much restraint in this not even becoming an issue until September. What, are they never supposed to mention Jeter’s slump because he’s got five rings?

    14. Garcia
      September 3rd, 2010 | 8:05 pm

      @Lisa Yes, it is because he has 5 rings. Same can be said for A-Rod. He hasn’t had a normal year, he went homerless for a while before he hit 600, is it because he single-handedly carried the team to a ring? Yes. Different person, same answer.

      Look at Nick Swisher, even Steve has found a way to appreciate him, is it because he helped the Yanks win a ring? Yes. Winning rings gives you a lot of rope, not only has Jeter won rings but he’s represented the team quite well.

      Jeter is having terrible year, everyone knows it, but if you want to see him “roasted” (you didn’t say that) and taken to task for his bad year statistically then that’s not going to happen. It is definitely because he has won five rings, he has crashed into the stands and come out bloodied, he’s the owner of the most famous SS to catcher underhand flip, a 12 year old child caught one of his most famous hits, he’s the most interesting man in the world.

    15. throwstrikes
      September 4th, 2010 | 9:39 am

      Verbally beating up players may make fans feel better or the media more famous but at the end of the day it doesn’t change the play on the field.

      Guys have down years. Without all the facts, no way to know if it’s random, age, injury or related to something no one is even aware of. Speculating makes for juicier radio, TV and newspaper stories but it’s just a bunch of noise.

    16. redbug
      September 4th, 2010 | 9:41 am

      I don’t think she’s saying anything different than the other Yankee media employees on radio and tv. I’ve heard O’Neill and Flaherty say much the same recently.

      I like her and think she’s much better to listen to than Michael Kaye.

    17. Garcia
      September 4th, 2010 | 10:00 am

      @redbug I definitely like her more than Kay, too. I love listening to the radio, I love Sterling and his antics – he cracks me up – he’s like our Johnny Most – “Laimbeer is MURDERING McHale!!!”. I never get the criticism of Sterling, he’s a homer, he’s flawed and says some outrageous stuff but that’s the definition of a homer – someone that’s 1/4 normal and 3/4 rose colored glasses. I think Suzyn can be a bit over the top at times, but a part of me thinks it’s really cool to see a woman succeed in a sport dominated by so many men. She can be emotional, but she’s also genuine and I appreciate her for that.

    18. MJ Recanati
      September 4th, 2010 | 10:13 am

      @ Garcia:
      It’s not so much that Sterling is a homer that bothers me as much as how he spends more time doing his schtick and not enough time accurately calling the game. Remember, with the radio, you have to bring the listener into the game with your words. I need to be able to picture what’s happening. It’s hard to do that when he’s babbling on like a Borscht Belt half-assed comedian.

      Some flair and flourish is appreciated but all the constant babbling of schtick gets in the way of the game.

    19. Garcia
      September 4th, 2010 | 10:33 am

      @MJ I get that, I understand the criticism but that’s kind of what I like. He’ll go off on stats and how stats are meaningless cause “you can’t predict baseball”, but then he’ll start talking about great year statistically and his numbers with RISP. He’s a huge contradiction, I get the feeling that he kind of knows it and he plays it up. Then when he does his “Grandy-man can” call, I am left speechless and cracking up in a ‘is this guy really part of the human race’ kind of way. I find him hilarious, I love the Yankees and baseball but at the end of the day do I want to be entertained or listen to a dry, NPR style, kind of radio call. I like the former, but again..some people have different standards. I think Rizzutto was kind of like that, but he was the lovable ex Yankee SS.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.