• The Future Sabathia Market

Posted by on September 7th, 2010 · Comments (10)

As CC Sabathia goes for his 20th win this season today, I find myself wondering about what he told Mark Hale roughly two weeks ago, with respect to his opt out clause that comes into play at the end of next season:

…the Yankees ace told The Post that he won’t “even consider” becoming a free agent after 2011, even though that provision exists in his seven-year, $161 million mega-contract.

“I’m here,” Sabathia said. “Hundred percent.”

“I think you know I’ve built a house here, right?” he said. “My kids go to school here. We live here year round. So I’m not going anywhere.”

That is a pretty definitive statement from Sabathia, and good news for the Yankees, who obviously want their magnificent left-hander to stay in The Bronx…

I know and appreciate what CC is saying here – but, if he has another season in 2011 like he’s had the last two years running, could it be possible that some team out there might start whispering into the ear of Sabathia’s agent and suggest that they have a better deal for the big lefty?

Me? I think it would be tough for anyone to offer CC what he’s getting in New York in terms of dollars, the team behind him, the benefits of being in this city with this team, etc.

The only risk would be if the team falls apart in 2011 and it’s starting to look like the new Yankees will be a team with an aging Jeter and A-Rod clogging things up and with CC being the only starting pitcher on the team worth anything. Then, maybe, if some other team came along with a really good offer, then Sabathia may change his tune.

What team could match or better the Yankees offer where it would interest CC? Maybe the Angels? Or, the Giants? Or, as a long shot, the Phillies? There’s really not many teams out there, who could be in play on a thing like this, is there?

Comments on The Future Sabathia Market

1. MJ Recanati
      September 7th, 2010 | 12:56 pm

Not a single team would pay Sabathia the $23M annual salary he’s due to make from 2012-2015. If Sabathia leaves, that’s his right and his choice but there isn’t a better payday out there for a guy who would be pitching his age 32 through age 35 seasons.

Separately, this notion that the Yankees will fall apart in or after 2011 is silly. The Yankees will always be able to afford to buy younger replacements to fortify their roster around the older core.

2. clintfsu813
      September 7th, 2010 | 1:19 pm

and with CC being the only starting pitcher on the team worth anything

Theres a GOOD chance that next years rotation will be: CC, Lee, Hughes, AJ, 5th starter. Not saying thats the BEST rotation out there, but one that should get us to October.

3. KPOcala
      September 7th, 2010 | 1:28 pm

With the economy getting ready to tank again, good luck for anyone getting CC $$$$$ again….

4. clintfsu813
      September 7th, 2010 | 1:39 pm

@ KPOcala:
      I bet we give Lee close to it.

5. Garcia
      September 7th, 2010 | 1:56 pm

I would be sad if CC were to leave, I am a huge CC fan. Other than the core 4, I can’t think of anyone I root for harder. CC says the right things, does the right things, he’s just a normal guy and I love having him on the team. I’d be heartbroken if he opted out because that would go against everything I believe about him. This is not a Darrelle Revis situation, he has guranteed money and a whole lot of it, too.

His quotes are right in line with what I’d expect him to say.

September 7th, 2010 | 2:02 pm

He goes he goes, he stays he stays. If he does leave, I’d like to see the team that matches (or exceeds) what the Yankees are currently giving him. Stranger things have happened, tho’

7. Jake1
      September 7th, 2010 | 3:11 pm

they got the best record in 2010 and supposedly according to this the house is falling in 2011 because Jeter n ARod are getting older? It’s not like they arent going to go out and add Lee to the staff or anything. And its its not like they cant sign Crawford to play LF. While still having 2 MVP candidates in their primes in Tex and Cano. Not to mention the minors best hitting prospect ready to come up and share DH/C catcher duties. And a 23 yr old starter who in his first season starting is going to win 18+ games.

8. clintfsu813
      September 7th, 2010 | 4:44 pm

@ Jake1:
      I hope Hughes wins 18, but lately I’m not so sure.

9. MJ Recanati
      September 7th, 2010 | 4:48 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      The only thing keeping him from winning 18 or more is his innings limit. He’s got about 25 more innings left or four starts, whichever comes first. I think the odds favor him winning two more games but that’s just me.

10. redbug
      September 7th, 2010 | 6:34 pm

I think CC’s great, says the right things, does all the right things, etc. But, who knows.

Who knew Arod would be as stupid as he was to opt-out in the middle of the WS? Who knew the Steinbrenners would be so stupid to pay him as much as they are for as long as they are when it appears no one other then themselves where competing against them?

Strange things happen.