• Feeding Michael Kay

Posted by on September 8th, 2010 · Comments (8)

Via the Post with a h/t to BBTF

Yankee announcer Michael Kay is a real meathead.

And now that local TV anchor Jodi Applegate is about to marry him, she’s desperately trying to figure out how to please a man wedded to only three foods: steak, bacon, and chicken parmesan.

That’s all her fiancé ever wants to eat.

“He will eat a salad, but only if it’s iceberg lettuce, and nothing else, no dressing. So it’s basically frozen water served with a fork,” says Applegate, a self-described foodie wannabe.

“Chicken parm is probably the most exotic thing he’ll eat — and he’ll eat mozzarella cheese because it’s in chicken parm,” said Applegate, who anchors the evening news for cable Channel 12 on Long Island.

On their first date, they ordered a caprese salad to share — but Kay took all the mozzarella and left her the tomatoes.

“I was immediately nervous. I thought, ‘OK, is he just a quirky guy, or is he really OCD about what he eats?’ So I threw a tomato on his plate to see if he freaked out. He just laughed, thank goodness,” she recalled.

She also tried to make him classic French beef bourguignon, which she told him was beef stew. That’s when she learned he won’t eat soup.

Kay says he’ll never give up his three favorites — especially the chicken parm.

Can you say “See-ya!” to good cardiovascular health?

Comments on Feeding Michael Kay

1. MJ Recanati
      September 8th, 2010 | 11:55 am

I know several picky eaters but they’re all under the age of 20. How does Kay survive on only steak, bacon and chicken parm?

He was born and raised in the Bronx, home to some of the finest Italian, Caribbean and Soul food restaurants in NY. How the hell did he end up with such a limited palate?

2. Corey Italiano
      September 8th, 2010 | 11:58 am

Speaking of steak and bacon…I went to Peter Luger’s steak house last night. If anyone is near that place and wants some good food, go there. It’s delicious.

3. Corey Italiano
      September 8th, 2010 | 11:59 am

I’m surprised there’s no mention of chicken fingers. That’s Flash’s goto insult.

4. MJ Recanati
      September 8th, 2010 | 12:16 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I couldn’t agree with you more. Peter Luger’s bacon appetizer is just killer and the steak…well…it speaks for itself.

Have you ever had their burgers? They’re pretty amazing as well.

5. Corey Italiano
      September 8th, 2010 | 12:24 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Have you ever had their burgers?

Haven’t gotten a chance to. It was my first (and not last) visit. Got the steak for 8 with a bunch of my friends with the bacon and creamed spinach appetizers…fantastic.

6. MJ Recanati
      September 8th, 2010 | 1:11 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I love it! The only thing missing from your table were their German-style potatoes. Those things are awesome and go very well with the steak and spinach.

I have a buddy living in Texas that flies into NYC twice a year on business and we go to Luger’s each time he’s in town. Love that freakin’ place!

September 8th, 2010 | 7:46 pm

I just find that restaurant story hilarious… Not sure what the future Mrs Kay is going to do (just stunned that he was able to land her), but if she wants to cook for me, I ain’t gonna stop her :D

8. 77yankees
      September 8th, 2010 | 8:14 pm

Steve, time for a new poll. Which one of these is a bigger surprise?:

Nick Johnson missing most of 2010 on the DL

or

Michael Kay involved in a marital union where HE’s the high maintenance individual.