• Jeter’s Oscar Performance

    Posted by on September 16th, 2010 · Comments (32)

    Figured I would offer some opinion on this event since it’s being talked about so much today.

    First, what Jeter did was no different from an outfielder trying to sell a trap as a catch to an umpire – it happens all the time in the game. And, sometimes, they get away with it.

    Hey, that’s just sports. Look at all the holding in the NFL that doesn’t get called because linemen are trying to get over on the refs.

    However, that all said, in situations like this – where a Yankees player “gets away with something” – I always like to ask myself “How would you feel if it happened against the Yankees in a game? What if it was David Wright in a game against the Mets? Or, what if it was Kevin Youkilis in a game against the Red Sox?”

    Truth be told, if Wright or Youkilis had pulled what Jeter did in a game against the Yankees, I would be pretty steamed. So, if a Rays fan ( or any non-Yankees fan) wants to complain about what Jeter did last night, I would totally understand their position on this one too.

    How about you? What are your thoughts on what happened here last night?

    Comments on Jeter’s Oscar Performance

    1. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 10:09 am

      I can differentiate between being “steamed” and wanting to complain on one end and praising the effort on the other. Sure, I’d never publicly praise Youkilis or anyone else for that sort of effort against the Yankees but I’d have to privately admit that this type of gamesmanship is part of the game and worthy of at least begrudging respect.

      Jeter sold the call, pissed off the handful of residents in Tampa that consider themselves Rays fans, and got himself on base. I can’t argue with that.

      Finally, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that if a certain other person pulled the same stunt as Jeter did last night, President Obama would be running down the hallway of the West Wing with the nuclear suitcase in one hand and the codes in the other. The world as we know it would cease to exist and the earth would fall off its axis and float away into oblivion…

    2. Raf
      September 16th, 2010 | 10:40 am

      Gamesmanship is what I thought. Wouldn’t have made a difference if it were Youk or Wright. As you said Steve, it’s part of the game.

    3. Corey Italiano
      September 16th, 2010 | 11:45 am

      Tex did the same exact thing last year, and he admitted it, and noone cared.

    4. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 11:46 am

      Corey Italiano wrote:

      Tex did the same exact thing last year, and he admitted it, and noone cared.

      As no one should. It’s not a big deal at all. Annoying if you root for the other team but, overall, not a big deal.

    5. Evan3457
      September 16th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

      Part of the game.

      Unless it’s called against the Yankees.

      Then, it’s a war crime.

    6. #15
      September 16th, 2010 | 12:03 pm

      I hit the DVR maybe 15 times on this one. After all those looks, I thought it actually grazed his elbow pad, them hit his bat handle, then bounced off his hip on the rebound. The bad thing about admitting the flop is he might not get the next real one.

    7. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 12:13 pm

      #15 wrote:

      The bad thing about admitting the flop is he might not get the next real one.

      Agree completely with that. Why admit it? You’re just supposed to give a wry smile and say “I took my base like the ump told me to.” Don’t tell them you fooled them!

    8. butchie22
      September 16th, 2010 | 12:17 pm

      Was it bush league? Kinda sorta. Jeter’s acting job was a bit camp actually after one viewed the replay a countless number of times. Does it make me think less of St Derek? Not really because I always believed that Golden Boy Jeter never walked on water to me to begin with. He sold the call BUT exhibited bad sportsmanship in the process.Was admitting it afterwards a wise decision? Not very actually. My new derisive nickname for Jeter is is the Bat Knob Elbow Man…….

      @ Raf,Kevin Cowboy Up Millar made an interesting point about gamemanship on MLB TV last night on how what Jeter did was OK. Millar has done the same thing himself as did Kookilis and other mates of Cotton Eyed Kevin from the sticks on the Red Pox.

    9. MCNY
      September 16th, 2010 | 1:39 pm

      It’s beneath Jeter.

      He had (yet another) chance at greatness: the be the guy who stood up for what was fair, not just what was in the unofficial rule book.

      Instead he looks as bad as A-Rod trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo’s glove.

      The difference is that it’s Jeter, my favorite player, and not some roid-enhanced poser like A-Rod.

      Sad.

    10. butchie22
      September 16th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

      MCNY wrote:

      It’s beneath Jeter. He had (yet another) chance at greatness: the be the guy who stood up for what was fair, not just what was in the unofficial rule book. Instead he looks as bad as A-Rod trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo’s glove.The difference is that it’s Jeter, my favorite player, and not some roid-enhanced poser like A-Rod.Sad.

      True dat. Then again I’ve always thought that Jeter’s MO was a contruct of artifice as well. He’s not as phoney as Pay-Rod BUT his ” St Derek walks on water act” wears a bit thin at times….

    11. BOHAN
      September 16th, 2010 | 4:18 pm

      i wouldnt be upset that they pulled it of or did it. i would be upset that the umpire got the call wrong. its part of the game. i would give the player credited ofr pullin it off too

    12. BOHAN
      September 16th, 2010 | 4:20 pm

      also… this wouldnt be a big deal if anyone else in the league did this. the only ones that this become a big deal is jeter arod nd manny. and manny is to dumb to pull it off and if jeter is having a good season then its him just doing his job and trying to get on base but hes not having such a great season so its him cheating because hes having a sub par season.

    13. BOHAN
      September 16th, 2010 | 4:24 pm

      MCNY wrote:

      It’s beneath Jeter. He had (yet another) chance at greatness: the be the guy who stood up for what was fair, not just what was in the unofficial rule book. Instead he looks as bad as A-Rod trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo’s glove.The difference is that it’s Jeter, my favorite player, and not some roid-enhanced poser like A-Rod.Sad.

      thats ust dumb… its part of the game happens everywhere on every level everyday. get over the situation and yourself. so goes your way by accident at work and people are giving praise and rewards are you going to say i dont deserve this. if youre smart then no because its going to help you get head in your company and thats all that matters. this is jeter’s job, to get on base nd help his team win. and he did whatever he could do to do that job. just like you would if you had the chance at your job.

    14. redbug
      September 16th, 2010 | 6:34 pm

      I love Jeter. Have since ’96. But, I didn’t much like the theatrics. It probably would’ve been a whole lot better if he had just said the ump told him to take 1st base and ended it at that.

    15. JeremyM
      September 16th, 2010 | 6:48 pm

      #15, I thought it grazed the elbow pad as well- seemed like it slightly changed direction at that point as well. My wife disagreed and I haven’t had a chance to watch it to break it down Kennedy-style yet, either. But there may have been a second baseball, and I swore someone hocked a loogie from the direction of first base too- Keith Hernandez maybe?

    16. throwstrikes
      September 16th, 2010 | 7:06 pm

      Not the first time he did it and won’t be the last.

    17. September 16th, 2010 | 7:30 pm

      Hmmmm. Jeter’s been slumping, the team’s been struggling, and he just tried to do something to make things happen against a rival. You know, kind of like A-Rod did with the slap play. But one of them Plays the Game the Right Way and the other is a dirty rotten cheater, right?

      I’m not against what Jeter did, but I’m against the way he’s held up as St. Jeter from the Bronx, even when he does a play like this.

    18. 77yankees
      September 16th, 2010 | 8:08 pm

      I knew when this happened that all the media misfits would be turning out their keyboard flatulence from their laptops as if Jeter decided to shoot up HGH while standing in the on deck circle in front of Bud Selig at the World Series.

      As Steve said, how is this different from an OF selling a shoestring catch, a middle infielder doing the “neighborhood” play at 2nd base, or a catcher pulling a third strike over the corner?

      Did anyone hear the audio of the Rays’ radio call on this? One of their announcers actually said the umps wouldn’t change the call “because they’re afraid of the Yankees”.

    19. September 16th, 2010 | 9:00 pm

      @ 77yankees: So, if A-Rod had done this, I’m sure you would be praising his ingenuity. Right?

    20. 77yankees
      September 16th, 2010 | 9:29 pm

      @ lisaswan:

      I’ve never had much problem with what A-Rod does on the field – it’s just all the unnecessary extracurricular drama he creates when he says the wrong thing off the field that’s a burden.

      But, to play off your point, if Dustin Pedroia did the same thing Jeter did last night, he’d be praised by the mainstream media as being the smart, spunky little underdog, no?

    21. September 16th, 2010 | 11:19 pm

      @ 77yankees: Of course Dustin would! He’s so scrappy!

      On the other hand, if it were Manny Ramirez, he’d be lambasted. Or A.J. Pierzynski – back in April, he actually did what Jeter did, and he got raked under the coals for doing so.

    22. clintfsu813
      September 17th, 2010 | 8:38 am

      Just curious…but isnt it POSSIBLE that a 85-90 MPH pitch hit on the bottom of the bat would still hurt like crap?

    23. MJ Recanati
      September 17th, 2010 | 9:22 am

      clintfsu813 wrote:

      Just curious…but isnt it POSSIBLE that a 85-90 MPH pitch hit on the bottom of the bat would still hurt like crap?

      It’s possible, but for the fact that Jeter’s left hand — the hand that he was holding, as if hit by the pitch — wasn’t even holding onto the bat at the time the bat and ball met.

      Read the third and fourth paragraphs of Joe Posnanski’s blog on this subject:

      http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010/09/16/the-jeter-school-of-acting/

    24. butchie22
      September 17th, 2010 | 12:22 pm

      lisaswan wrote:

      @ 77yankees: So, if A-Rod had done this, I’m sure you would be praising his ingenuity. Right?

      lisaswan wrote:

      @ 77yankees: Of course Dustin would! He’s so scrappy! On the other hand, if it were Manny Ramirez, he’d be lambasted. Or A.J. Pierzynski – back in April, he actually did what Jeter did, and he got raked under the coals for doing so.

      LS, there is a bit of hypocrisy involved with this incident simply because St Derek was involved with it. Jeter has an aura of class around him which is so overhyped by Yankee shills.IF Aroid had done this , the Arod haters would have been out in full force lambasting him.

      As per Pedroia, there are enough Red Pox haters and Pedroia haters like Jerry Remy, who sits in the booth on NESN as their color analyst,in where Dusty The Wolf Boy would be criticized mercilessly.

    25. Corey Italiano
      September 17th, 2010 | 1:27 pm

      @ butchie22:
      Good to seeya butch! Hope all is well

    26. #15
      September 17th, 2010 | 3:00 pm

      @ JeremyM:
      LOL…. A new Zapruder film in the making. “Back and to the left.” Oliver Stone is working on script revisions right now.

    27. Jim TreshFan
      September 17th, 2010 | 7:54 pm

      Inspired perhaps by Reggie Bush Jeter announced he will be returning his “Sportsman of the Year Award” to Sports Illustrated over the matter.

    28. XP
      September 19th, 2010 | 10:06 am

      First,what ARod did was a violation of the rulebook.That’s a big different.

      I’m sure if TEX,Swisher,Berkman,Cano,Posada,Granderson,Gardner,Mouer or whoever did what AROD did, yankees fans won’t complain either.

      Why some AROD fan so obsession compared him to Jeter…? That’s du to his personality. People dislike him simple because HE IS A DISLIKABLE GUY.

      As long as you accept that “AROD is a way dislikable guy than Jeter”, you would get over with it.

    29. XP
      September 19th, 2010 | 11:55 am

      plus,

      If people has no problem what an outfielder does when he lifts up his glove after he traps a ball,then they shouldn’t have problem what Jeter did.

      It’s normal people have double standard, that’s fine. But when a person who has double standard either go bash other people has double standard is really hilarious to me.

      They felt so grievance simple because people dislike the guy they like but love the guy they dislike.

      If the situation was opposite, they would probably ignore it.

    30. XP
      September 19th, 2010 | 11:03 pm

      One more thing, the “ha” play.

      That play is a runner try to “interference” the defender. Is that the same way when a close play happen but umpire miss the call? If a player didn’t touch the home plate but act like he did and hi five with his teammate than win the game, you would probably just said “No, that was the umpire’s responsibility to made the right call!”

      If Ramiro Pena did this, no one care or probably just laugh. Jeter did got criticize because the hight standard. Is that fair,too?

      I have not much problem what AROD did on or off the filed, but I did have problem some yankee fans overboard put some dirt on Jeter try to make AROD look better.

      AJP did the same thing, so what? If you feel a gentleman smoke look better than a hoodlum, why you blame people look in a different way?

    31. XP
      September 20th, 2010 | 12:16 am

      It seems like some people always felt anger when every time Jeter didn’t get AROD treatment.

      But seems OK if TEX,Mouer,or any likable star get special treatment.

      I thought these people have a new comparison since TEX arrived the Yankee.

      But I probably wrong.

    32. MCNY
      September 21st, 2010 | 12:47 pm

      BOHAN wrote:

      MCNY wrote:
      It’s beneath Jeter. He had (yet another) chance at greatness: the be the guy who stood up for what was fair, not just what was in the unofficial rule book. Instead he looks as bad as A-Rod trying to slap the ball out of Bronson Arroyo’s glove.The difference is that it’s Jeter, my favorite player, and not some roid-enhanced poser like A-Rod.
      Sad.

      thats ust dumb… its part of the game happens everywhere on every level everyday. get over the situation and yourself. so goes your way by accident at work and people are giving praise and rewards are you going to say i dont deserve this. if youre smart then no because its going to help you get head in your company and thats all that matters. this is jeter’s job, to get on base nd help his team win. and he did whatever he could do to do that job. just like you would if you had the chance at your job.

      I’ll restrain myself from attacking you as you have me but let’s just say you did give me a lot of material to work with. Next time, at least use spell-check. First of all to respond to the attack, I didn’t get to be CEO of my company by taking credit for other people’s work. I did, however, lavish praise on my team when we “won” and took responsibility when we “lost.”

      There are those of us, perhaps increasingly a smaller group, who thinks that sports is something more than games. I have two kids and we try to teach them to win with integrity, be upset but not unsportsmanlike when you lose, and always take responsibility for your actions. We don’t teach our kids to flop like Vlade Divac and I, for one, will not teach my kid to fake getting hit with a ball just because it’s his job to get on base.

      So get over yourself, Bohan. I’m pretty comfortable with where I am on this one. You’re defending cheating. I’m not.

      Oh, and by the way, Go Yankees.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.