• Wild Thought: Missing 55 & 18

Posted by on September 16th, 2010 · Comments (9)

You know, when I look at the Yankees not hitting well situationally, as A-Rod stated in the YES post-game coverage last night; and, when I look at the total number of PAs that these guys (below) have taken this year, I have to wonder – would the Yankees be in a different position this season if they had either Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui in their line-up this year?

G PA R HR RBI SB SO BA OBP SLG
    Austin Kearns 30 98 11 2 7 0 31 .233 .327 .337
    Lance Berkman# 26 80 6 0 5 0 11 .290 .388 .377
    Randy Winn# 29 71 7 1 8 1 15 .213 .300 .295
    Juan Miranda* 29 68 7 3 9 0 12 .226 .294 .435
    Colin Curtis* 27 59 7 1 8 0 14 .204 .271 .315
    Kevin Russo 29 53 5 0 4 1 8 .188 .250 .229
    Chad Huffman 9 21 1 0 2 0 5 .167 .286 .167
    Greg Golson 14 13 1 0 0 0 3 .231 .231 .308
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 9/16/2010.

It’s a total of 463 PA, by the way, in case you were wondering – just about the number that a full-time Damon or Matsui could have filled.

Comments on Wild Thought: Missing 55 & 18

1. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 1:28 pm

First, this list is incomplete as it is missing Curtis Granderson, Brett Gardner and Marcus Thames (and, perhaps, Nick Johnson).

Second, using the same G-PA-R-HR-SB-SO-BA-OBP-SLG column headers, here are the stats for #55 and #18:

Hideki Matsui:

8 HR
      9 SB
      95 SO
      .272 BA
      .360 OBP
      .406 SLG

Matsui and Damon have lost .062 and .088 in OPS, respectively, from 2009 to 2010. Given what Granderson, Gardner and Thames have provided, I still don’t see how anyone can argue that the Yanks miss Matsui and Damon from a performance standpoint.

2. Evan3457
      September 16th, 2010 | 2:02 pm

…and that doesn’t count the 20-40 run defensive improvement…

3. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 2:41 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

…and that doesn’t count the 20-40 run defensive improvement…

Absolutely, that too.

4. September 16th, 2010 | 3:04 pm

Com’on guys, you mean that every time “K-man” Kearns, Golson, Curtis and others like them have come to the plate in the last 4 weeks or so, because the Yankees were short on OFers, you didn’t wish that it was Johnny Damon batting for the Yankees in that spot, now, instead?

5. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 3:58 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Let me be clear: I’m not accusing you of intentionally asking an intellectually dishonest question, I’m merely pointing out that you’re not phrasing your question correctly and, as a result, it’s coming out in such a way that skews results.

The way I see it, you’re trying to phrase the question as “who has taken Matsui’s and Damon’s AB’s in the DH and OF spots, respectively.” As such, your list of players is missing Granderson, Gardner and Thames as those three have taken the majority of the AB’s in place of Matsui and Damon.

If you’re asking me whether I’d rather have Johnny Damon instead of Colin Curtis or Kevin Russo or Greg Golson specifically, then, yes, of course I’d prefer Damon (although Damon would’ve never been able to make the throw that nailed Crawford out on Tuesday night). But you’re not asking me that per se. You’re asking me if I’d rather have Matsui as the DH over Thames et al. and if I’d rather have Damon over Granderson/Gardner.

The answer to both is, no, I wouldn’t. Granderson, Gardner and Thames have done great work replacing Matsui and Damon.

6. Corey Italiano
      September 16th, 2010 | 4:15 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Pretty much summed it up perfectly, IMO

7. September 16th, 2010 | 5:25 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Ah, when you ASSUME, my friend…

Really, your putting words in my mouth that aren’t there, yet again.

My point here: How many times have guys like Kearns, Golson and Curtis got PAs – especially lately, because Granderson can’t hit lefties and/or because Swisher and Gardner have been hurt. And, the answer was 460-something.

And, my thought was, wouldn’t it have been nice to have someone like Damon or Matsui, a proven bat and a clutch player, take all those PAs rather than Kearns or Golson/Curtis.

That’s all.

You’re the one who has decided to turn this into a Damon/Granderson debate and the like – not me. Not at all.

8. MJ Recanati
      September 16th, 2010 | 5:49 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      The chart above doesn’t show PA’s for Kearns, Berkman, Winn, Miranda, Curtis, Russo, Huffman and Golson in the context of:

1) pinch-hitting for Granderson vs. LHP;
      2) replacing Swisher and Gardner due to injury; or
      3) any other specific circumstance.

You have not segregated Kearns’s or Berkman’s or Miranda’s AB’s as DH or, in the case of the latter two, when they played 1B exclusively. As such, your comment directly above is, once again, (unintentionally perhaps) intellectually dishonest.

If you want narrow down the statistics to specific instances when those eight potentially sub-optimal options had to take AB’s for Granderson (vs. LHP) or Swisher and Gardner (due to injury) and then show me poor results, I’ll accept your argument. But the way you phrased your original question and then “clarified” the record directly above shows me that you still don’t understand where you’ve erred.

9. K-V-C
      September 16th, 2010 | 7:24 pm

Johnny Damon should even be mentioned. His agent priced his client out of this market with his idiotic demands. Why does the media forget this fact every time they want to complain about Yankee outfielders?

For the record I don’t miss either of them. If Jeter and A-Rod would carry their weight this wouldn’t be a problem would it?