• September 17th @ The Orioles

Posted by on September 18th, 2010 · Comments (9)

Is it just me, or does it look like Burnett got his ass kicked at some point in the last few days? What’s up with the shiner? Whatever it was, perhaps they beat the walks out of him cause he let up only 1 in 7 innings last night (which is the fewest he’s let up in a start since July 23rd). He wasn’t great, but he got the job done (although the home run to Andino frustrated me). I’ll take my chances with 7 innings and 3 runs from Burnett in the post season if it comes to that.

The story of this game was Alex Rodriguez, however. He hit 2 absolute bombs in this game, giving him 25 on the season. That gives him 15 consecutive seasons of 25 homers and 100 RBI. While I know it’s not 30/100, (And I think he has a chance to hit 5 more in the last 15 games) that’s still quite impressive in my book. Gotta give Alex credit, a couple of years ago I would have thought he’d have no shot at hitting a home run there. He’s really become quite clutch at the chagrin of the main stream media.

If not for A-Rod, the Yankees didn’t deserve to win this game. They went 1 for 9 with RISP (including Alex’s homer in the 9th) and only managed 1 run and 5 hits against Milwood over 7 innings. That’s pathetic.

It really, really bothers me to see Swisher pinch hit. The dude still can’t run properly, as evidenced by his hobbled trot to first. Sit the guy till the last week of the season, then let him try to turn it on. If you’re that concerned about the Red Sox creeping in, which I’m not, then let them gain a game or two first. Having a healthy, or healthier, Swisher would be a great boost to the offense, no need to push it in trash games against the Orioles.

Comments on September 17th @ The Orioles

1. 77yankees
      September 18th, 2010 | 12:50 pm

That 1-2 pitch on A-Rod – wow – blue called it where Wieters caught it and not where it crossed the plate – because it was strike three.

And just like with Tino’s grand slam in Game 1 of the ’98 WS, is there anyone who didn’t think A-Rod would end up hitting one out after that pitch?

2. Evan3457
      September 18th, 2010 | 1:35 pm

I don’t think it was a strike. Both Gameday’s K zone and the Brooks FX K zone have it about 2-3 inches inside.

Here’s Brooks:

In addition, as I’ve watched the replay a few times, you see Wieters move it back slightly toward the inside corner, as if he knows it’s not quite a strike.

3. YankCrank
      September 18th, 2010 | 2:53 pm

You may all bow to Alex, and his greatness.

4. Molon Labe
      September 18th, 2010 | 3:19 pm

Best explanation I heard is that AJ hit himself in the eye with a Wild Pitch.

5. Corey Italiano
      September 18th, 2010 | 4:17 pm

Molon Labe wrote:

Best explanation I heard is that AJ hit himself in the eye with a Wild Pitch.

Hahaha. Nice one!

6. Evan3457
      September 18th, 2010 | 10:33 pm

I’d have said Jeter punched AJ for his lousy, stupid pitching, but Jeter hasn’t hit anything hard since about May…

7. JeremyM
      September 18th, 2010 | 10:56 pm

The rumor is he ran into two Dodger’s fans on an elevator, and now there are two guys walking around looking for their teeth….

8. Garcia
      September 19th, 2010 | 11:25 am

So the Yankees win two games in a row, the Red Sox lose two, the Yanks are back in first and to think, Steve was (in a round about way) predicting the Yanks would not make the playoffs.

The thing that I keep going back to during those games against the Rangers and Rays, the Yanks were in a position to win all those games but they weren’t trying to use all their bullets.

9. Evan3457
      September 19th, 2010 | 1:16 pm

Garcia wrote:

…and in the playoffs, the Rangers don’t get to use 8 relievers a game to create all those lefty/lefty and righty/righty matchups.