• September 19th @ The Orioles

Posted by on September 19th, 2010 · Comments (10)

I’ll keep this one short and sweet. Nothing about this game mattered except for the fact that Pettitte got into a major league game and tossed 6 solid innings. Andy has somehow not missed a beat, which is great news for the Yankees. If he gets the ball 1 or 2 more times and throws just like he did today, I’m pretty confident about our post season rotation. I’ll take CC-Andy-Hughes and go to war.

With that, I leave you with the possible death of the maple bat (I’m shocked something like this has not happened sooner, to be honest). I hope that Tyler Colvin makes a full recovery. Thank the lord Kevin Youkilis was in town to help him out.

Comments on September 19th @ The Orioles

1. Jim TreshFan
      September 20th, 2010 | 3:37 am

What sticks out most about this game is, of course, the blown save by Riviera. A few other points:

-Lance Berkman is now batting .173 vs lefthanders for the year.

-Derek Jeter extended his hitting streak while managing to strand 6 baserunners all by himself.

-The Oriole bullpen logged in 7 2/3 scoreless innings.

-Pettitte put in a good effort overall, but I’d have to see him pitch a few more times before I’m sure he’s back and ready for the post season.

2. Corey Italiano
      September 20th, 2010 | 8:21 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

-Lance Berkman is now batting .173 vs lefthanders for the year.

This doesn’t matter in the slightest. He was brought here to face right handers as the DH. Thames faces the lefties. (At least in the playoffs)

3. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2010 | 8:22 am

Oh, that was the problem- Mariano Riviera was pitching instead of Rivera… :)

I think this one hurt. They had plenty of chances to cushion the lead and is their style lately, they blew it. Mo can’t be perfect every time. Berkman really has been pretty worthless, I know his OBP is pretty good but I think you should lose OBP points every time you hit into a double play since you subtract an additional runner on the bases. And he has yet to hit a homer as a Yankee! He definitely has been far from a David Justice or Bobby Abreu-level pickup. I sure hope this rest that A-Rod keeps getting pays off in the end.

4. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2010 | 8:26 am

Berkman has grounded into 5 double plays to match his 5 RBIs and is slugging .20 points lower than his OBP. It’s worse than I thought, small sample size and all of that applies.

5. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2010 | 8:30 am

Last bit of whining – why pinch-hit Teix for Gardner there? If you want Teix to heal up, great, and the way Teix has been hitting while injured, it’s a good idea. I didn’t see the upside there although they probably would’ve walked Gardner anyway.

6. Corey Italiano
      September 20th, 2010 | 9:57 am

JeremyM wrote:

Totally agree, makes no sense to me either.

7. nwyank
      September 20th, 2010 | 10:54 am

I don’t recall this team suffering many blowout losses; rather, they lose lots of low-scoring close games. Mostly thanks to inept offense against lousy pitching.
      Yesterday: zero XBH in 11 innings. Can’t get a runner home from 3rd w/ no outs. Missed opportunities. Easy to blame Rivera, but the loss falls cheifly on the offense. Again.

8. Evan3457
      September 20th, 2010 | 12:06 pm

Primary blame to Rivera. You hand the lead to Mo in the 9th, and it’s his job to bring it in. For some reason, his cutter wasn’t moving early in the inning, and he hung one knee high on the inner half to Scott. The name for this type of cutter is “meatball”.

Having said that, yeah, the Yanks had lots of opportunities. Yeah, the lead should’ve been bigger. Yeah, they should’ve won it in the top of the 11th. But they didn’t.
      ===================================
      Mariano will have to close out 1 run leads in the post-season. If he has meltdowns, they probably won’t win it all.

However, we all know Mariano goes through 1 or 2 dead-arm periods a year where he gets nailed for a week or 10 days. This is the 2nd one. If he’s throwing well by the end of the week, I ain’t worried about him.

9. redbug
      September 20th, 2010 | 6:12 pm

I wondered why Joe had Berkman batting 3rd. Why not Swisher or Posada? Berkman’s showed us very little. He should be 7th or lower in the line up.

10. Corey Italiano
      September 20th, 2010 | 6:18 pm

redbug wrote:

Because before that day, Berkman was .395/.489/.447 in his last 45 plate appearances. I don’t know about you, but that shows me somethin.