• September 20th Vs. The Rays

Posted by on September 21st, 2010 · Comments (11)

On Big Stein’s night, watching Ivan Nova, I couldn’t help myself and have flashbacks to what The Boss once said about Ken Clay: ”He spit the bit.” The kid may turn out to be a big league pitcher – but, he has to learn to get past the sixth inning.

But, hey, how about Curtis “Mr. September” Granderson!

Lastly, raise your hand if you’re starting to get concerned about the Yankees bullpen as they head into October – and this includes Mo Rivera.

Comments on September 20th Vs. The Rays

1. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:00 am

Granderson since the all star break :

.260/.345/.525 14 HR 8 2B 2 3B 35 RBI

If you want to slice it from the time he “changed his swing” on August 12, Granderson is hitting :

273/.372/.578 11 HR 6 2B 0 3B 26 RBI

Good time to come alive, if you ask me.

2. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:01 am

I think Nova’s problem is that he can’t locate from the stretch. I doubt it has anything to do with the inning.

The first 5 innings he was as dominating as you could pretty much ask for.

3. YankCrank
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:10 am

@ Corey Italiano:

Hmm, I think i’d still rather have Johnny Damon.

4. Garcia
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:10 am

I’m not concerned about Mo. If we lose with Mo then I can deal with that. It’s the same for me if a team beats us when CC pitches, if your best can’t do it then you went out guns blazing. Nuff said, IMHO.

When we are counting all our marbles on Jaret Wright, Kevin Brown or Javy, then bad things are going to happen – 99.899999% of the time.

5. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:10 am

@ YankCrank:
      Oh ya, me too :P

6. September 21st, 2010 | 10:21 am

YankCrank wrote:

@ Corey Italiano:
      Hmm, I think i’d still rather have Johnny Damon.

If you want to be a hump, at least get the facts correct. It was never a matter of Damon vs. Granderson. It was a matter of Damon in LF and Gardner in CF (with Melky on the bench) and having Austin Jackson still in the organization vs. having Granderson.

7. G.I. Joey
      September 21st, 2010 | 10:50 am

The bullpen was not terribly sharp, but they were also getting squeezed by Tim Mcclelland. That guy was awful.

8. YankCrank
      September 21st, 2010 | 11:40 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

YankCrank wrote:
      @ Corey Italiano:
      Hmm, I think i’d still rather have Johnny Damon.

Oh Steve, don’t get so defensive here. If you can call Granderson “Mr. September” when he’s actually had a couple good months together, than I can have some fun myself.

No worries. I’m sure the Yankees will lose a game soon and you can go back to your “Yanks are going to collapse and let the Red Sox pass them and diminish the entire 2009 WS Championship” posts again.

9. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 12:03 pm

What I don’t get is…where’s Royce Ring? What was the point of bringing him up if he’s not going to be used at all?

I’m not saying hes the answer to anything, but if you’re going to go to the trouble of DFAing Huffman and adding Ring to the 40 man, might as well put him in against a lefty or 2, no?

10. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 12:13 pm

One other thing…

Shouldn’t one of those runs be unearned, since the runner scored on catcher’s interference? I know Cervelli was saying to throw it to first, but I was under the assumption that if a run scores on an error it’s then unearned.

11. Corey Italiano
      September 21st, 2010 | 3:31 pm

One last thing,

Selig was in the booth last night and Kay asked him if they’d ever change the playoff system, considering the fact that the games between Tampa and the Yanks would be much more intense if there was no wild card or the penalty for being the wild card team was stricter.

He said that they are definitely going to give it some thought (then tried to play up home field advantage). But what I got out of it is that there are changes coming.

Thought those who missed it might find that interesting, I did.