• September 23rd Vs. The Rays

Posted by on September 24th, 2010 · Comments (22)

Usually after my Thursday night Hold ‘em game I’ll come back home and watch the game that was DVRed. I always check the score and will watch the game even if it’s a loss as I like to see what got them there. But, now that the games don’t matter, I just couldn’t get myself to watch this one.

All you can do is remind yourself that these games don’t matter, and look forward to next month.

Comments on September 23rd Vs. The Rays

1. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 9:39 am

I don’t agree with the whole “games don’t matter” thing that people have been trying to sell me on. It matters that #62 faced four batters and allowed two of them to reach on run-scoring hits. It matters that our best pitcher looked off last night. It matters that a month-long (season-long?) issue I call “RISP FAIL” happened again in the bottom of the fifth inning with a chance to chase David Price from the game.

Home fiend in baseball doesn’t matter as much as it does in football or basketball, but it does matter. I don’t want the Yankees having to play Texas or Minnesota on the road, if it can be avoided.

2. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 9:40 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

Home fiend

That should be *home field

3. Corey Italiano
      September 24th, 2010 | 9:53 am

I don’t think it matters 1 bit.

I’d make a bet that this team at the very least makes it to the World Series. Anyone want to bet with me?

(I do fear the Phils though…)

4. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 9:57 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      I don’t see the point of betting against my own team but, no, I honestly don’t see them beating the Rays in the ALCS.

5. G.I. Joey
      September 24th, 2010 | 10:12 am

6. Corey Italiano
      September 24th, 2010 | 10:16 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      Step back from the ledge, it’ll be OK.

7. nwyank
      September 24th, 2010 | 10:41 am

CC probably lost his chance at Cy Young. Which is OK, if one considers that winning the award would have been a big bargaining chip if (when) he opts out of his contract.
      Not a good night in the Bronx. Thought they had a victory when up 3-1 w/ CC on the mound.

8. Corey Italiano
      September 24th, 2010 | 10:58 am

nwyank wrote:

Excellent point, I didn’t even think about that.

9. butchie22
      September 24th, 2010 | 10:59 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Corey Italiano:

Agreed. No matter what hype people like Michael Kay spews about how he doesn’t get the Rays, the Rays have it over the Yankees this year…. and The Rangers and The Twins!:) Twins do have a really good team BUT they don’t matchup well against the Yanks…

There was something cool about that home fiend slipup BTW. Home field does matter , especially to a more veteran/older team like the Yankees. In the end however, the hottest team will win and it will be interesting to see who that may be.

G.I. Joey wrote:

I was at this game last night and it was one of the most frustrating games I have witnessed. A couple of thoughts, none of which are particular constructive:#62 sucks SH*T. Despite showing some signs of life in the recent weeks has once again shown me that he can’t get it done in a big a spot. A legitimate debate can be had on whether the organization messed this kid up, but one thing we can all agree on is that right now he cannot be trusted. I hope that crap outing ruined your birthday for you. Javy Vasquez also sucks SH*T. He looked like he did not have any business being back in the rotation yet alone the bullpen. Watching him walk a batter and then hitting the next three to walk in a run was enough for me to pop out of my seat and promptly leave the stadium while uttering a myriad of obscenities. An old lady sitting next to me lamented at the bottom of the 5th that we left too many runners on the bags and we both agreed it would come back to haunt us. In my opinion it was the turning point of this game as we had Price on the ropes and a chance to take control of that game. Sure the Yanks are going to make the playoffs, but watching them play like this against a potential ALCS opponent does not sit will with me at all. It’s pathetic.

GI, I’ve always enjoyed your posts.Especially vivid was your recation to MR Junior Varsity hitting three batters in a row. That was utterly insane wasn’t it? NIce point about Joba The Hut as well. It’s debatable on whether or not the organization screwed him his mental makeup in making him a starter(full disclosure I wanted him to start not close)BUT he is not a reliable entity right now.

Corey Italiano wrote:

@ G.I. Joey:
      Step back from the ledge, it’ll be OK.I hope you guys realize this, but 2 days ago Rays fans were saying literally the same thing.

Corey,the Rays have fans!?!;)I’m paraphrasing here ,but from what Pete Gammons claims they would draw more people in Jersey(where the fandom is divided between the NYC teams and Philly) than drawing flies in St Pete! Seriously though, I think that Yankee fans are more worried by the 2010 team than Tampa fans would or could be. Sure Tampa has its problems BUT they are relatively young when compared to the NYYS and have tons of speed. What is remarkable about Tampa is their ability to create runs with a team that is hitting below .300 as an aggregate. The Rays also have a strong ability to comeback in a game. They are relentless on the basepaths. They are not waiting for a 5 run home run from an overpriced older superstar like Arod or Jeter either……then again Jeter is showing his age this year isn’t he?

10. butchie22
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:02 am

Especially vivid was your recation to MR Junior Varsity hitting three batters in a row. I meant reaction
      SL, MJ, CI Can we get spellcheck on the site?

11. Corey Italiano
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:11 am

Corey,the Rays have fans!?
      ———–

A lot of “ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK!”

12. butchie22
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:21 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

Corey,the Rays have fans!?
      ———–
      From what I understand, the Rays TV viewership is decent. Just nobody goes to the games. Anyway, I read some Rays blog once in a while and that was the consensus I got.A lot of “ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK!”

Escape from New York, pretty cool movie. I remember my uncle being surprised that Ernie Borgnine(who infanously played Cabbie in it) was alive at the time! He’s still around 29 years later…

A lot of bloody expat New Yorkers are down there for sure.When The Pox or The Yanks come down to play at the Domed Monstrosity in St Pete it veritably can be Fenway Park South or Yankee Stadium South for that matter. Though the Tampa fans seem to be coming out more and more and have been louder lately…..judging from some of the games I’ve seen. Then again, that’s still not saying much….

13. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:21 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

Agree completely. The Yanks definitely played some part in #62′s diminished value but at the end of the day they can’t control the fact that he’s a two-pitch pitcher whose second pitch can never be thrown for a strike. #62 is crap and I’d take almost any trade that involved sending him out of town.

14. Corey Italiano
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:26 am

For instances…

“Going into this series, I considered a series split to be a victory for the Rays.”

That doesn’t sound like a confident fan base to me, and they would know their team a lot better than we would. (http://www.draysbay.com/2010/9/24/1707435/rays-roll-over-yanks-10-3-earn-series-split)

15. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 11:38 am

@ Corey Italiano:
      It’s all in the interpretation. On the one hand you can interpret it as being content to split with the Yanks out of fear or, on the other hand, you can interpret it as understanding that a split accomplishes more for Tampa than for the Yankees.

With the split, the Rays have won the season series 10-8 and have more than likely gained the advantage they needed to win the division.

According to the odds listed on CoolStandings.com, the Yanks went from a 69.5% chance of winning the division after Tuesdday’s win to a 33.4% chance after last night’s loss. Hence, I interpret Tampa fans being content to split with the Yanks as not a position of fear but a position of understanding the larger implications of that split.

16. Evan3457
      September 24th, 2010 | 12:10 pm

OK, about Joba…

From July 25th before last night:

24 G, 24 IP, 13 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 21 K, 2 HR, ERA 1.50, WHIP 0.71

2 wins, 0 losses, 5 holds, 1 blown save and 1 save.

Against: BAVG/OBA/SLG/OPS .155/.202/.262/.464
      ==================================
      Included in that were 4 games against the Rays:

6 1/3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, 0 HR

That means within this good streak, he had gotten the Rays 4 times, including the 5 out-save Tuesday (when he was working without a net, as all the other good relievers were unavailable, including Mo).

Last night they got him.

Let’s not overreact. He “can’t pitch in big games” when it’s close? All of these games against the Rays since July have been “big”, and he did quite nicely the 1st four times.

17. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 12:26 pm

@ Evan3457:
      A five-out save with a five run lead doesn’t impress me much, even if he was “without a net.”

#62 is a predictable pitcher with no ability to locate his lone secondary pitch for strikes. His HR rate is due for a regression and, in fact, it’s trending that way in the second half.

He’s not a guy I’d ever want out there in a tight game in the playoffs (or otherwise).

And, yes, I say this as someone that openly admits an intense dislike of #62.

18. BOHAN
      September 24th, 2010 | 12:28 pm

just out of curiousity would would everyone rather face in the fist round? texas or minnesota? i think id rather face minnesota. i dont think their pitching is as strong as the rangers.

19. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 12:36 pm

@ BOHAN:
      I’d rather face Texas. At some point, Minnesota will do to us what we did to Anaheim last year.

20. Mr. Sparkle
      September 24th, 2010 | 1:48 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Home field in baseball doesn’t matter as much as it does in football or basketball, but it does matter.

I agree…it means more in baseball. It’s the only sport that allows the offense the last chance to win at home. In football, basketball and hockey, either team could have the last shot at winning…not baseball. I think it’s a distinct advantage to home field.

21. Mr. Sparkle
      September 24th, 2010 | 1:55 pm

@ BOHAN:
      I don’t think it matters. Yankee fans really wanted Detroit in 2006 because of the regular season results and look what happened. Both Minnesota and Texas have strengths and flaws. Texas has Cliff Lee who usually gives the Yankees fits. Maybe for two starts. I think Minnesota is playing some of the best ball going into the playoffs (although they were last year, too) and has tough pitching and pesky hitting.

Bottom line is to take whoever they get, try to play good baseball and most importantly…hope the offense starts hitting again. Good offensive output one every four or five days is not going to cut it in October. If that continues, it probably wouldn’t matter if they were playing Cleveland in the playoffs.

22. MJ Recanati
      September 24th, 2010 | 2:22 pm

Mr. Sparkle wrote:

Out of curiosity, I looked at all the playoff series that went to a deciding game (Game 5 (LDS) or Game 7 (LCS/WS)) in the Wild Card Era (1995-present) and found:

-In 60 LDS matchups, the team with home field advantage won in 7/14 cases where the series went to a deciding Game 5;

-In 30 LCS matchups, the team with home field advantage won in 4/7 cases where the series went to a deciding Game 7;

-In 15 WS matchps, the team with home field advantage won in 3/3 cases where the series went to a deciding Game 7.

Overall, in 115 post-season series played, 24 decisive Game 5/Game 7 situations have arisen. In those 24 decisive final games, the home team has emerged victorious in 14 of those cases.

I’m curious to know how that compares to the NBA or NHL (or NFL, although their final game is at a neutral site).